Sign in to follow this  
Vinny

The Family

The Brothers-

"Putanna..." you both hear Joey mutter as he glares at the car's obsolette engine.

"Yeah? New Yark?" Joey says as he twists and turns knobs and screws on the engine, wondering what's wrong with it. The whole thing, the car both external and internal, looked like crap. No better word for it.

"Sorry bout that, really. She's usually a good cah most of da time. Just gimme a sec.

He jumps back into the driver's seat, and tries the ignition again. And again, it sputters on him. Like an old broad suffering from a severe hacking cough.

"Yeah, I'm from Boston mahself. Born and raised till we moved out 'ere." Joey says. "So the Big Apple, huh? What's it like? Heard it gets pretty cold up there..."

Again, Joey continues fiddling with the ignition, cursing to himself.

After a walk, you arrive a Lucas. The shop is closed for today, with the grill closed over the door and windows and the lights off. There is, however, a slot for mail to be dropped, right at the door.

James thinks to himself, "Would not be wise to put the cash in the door slot." [James however does make a mental note of the location of the store so he can return at a later time / date.]

Lucas Aprillo Lucas's Cobbler Shop $ 310 --- Close for the day need to return tomorrow meebe

Francis DiAtrio Soup and Bread Diner $ 250

Giovanni Grochi Gio's Cobbler and Shoes $ 400 --- Done

Maria Tarino Maria's Pasta $ 300 --- Done

Peter Marlesco Marlesco's Bed and Diner $ 160

James looks around to door for a tag for the store hours. He also asks little Paulo, "So it appears we have missed the hours for the day. Do you happen to know the store hours for future reference?"

"Well, looks like he isn't here, mista. Maybe we should go to another shop?" little Paulo says. He seems impatient.

"Well my little friend --- what gots ya so worried about the time? If you need to leave please don't let me keep you. Just point me in the direction to Peter Marlesco Bed and Dinner and I'll be on my way."

[James fishes in his pocket for another quarter for Paulo. Once he gets the information that is needed he will toss Paulo the quarter and be on his way] Also upon his departure he will add, "Young ladd next time I need assistence for finding some local establishments I know where to go....."

[James is also checking out the local scenery who is in the street / making note of the time of day / and if late may be looking for a cheap hotel in which to check for any open room.]

James-

"I dunno, mista. It's gettin pretty late. I gots to leave for suppa, soon. Besides, all those peeps have probably all gone home..." Paulo says, shuffling his feet.

The little boys stands with his hands in his pockets, and you can hear the coins you paid him jingle as the steps from one feet to another.

Around you, you notice the streets are slowly emptying. The traffic has died down to an occasional car or two, a late truck heading back to the garage after finishing its delivery. Stores begin to close as you see people locking up, clearing out their street wares or sweeping the front of their stores.

"Hey, I know! How about you come home with me? I betcha moma can make room for you at da table, sir!" he says.

"Whatdaya say?" he says, looking up at you with a brightm but sly face.

The Brothers-

"Putanna..." you both hear Joey mutter as he glares at the car's obsolette engine.

"Yeah? New Yark?" Joey says as he twists and turns knobs and screws on the engine, wondering what's wrong with it. The whole thing, the car both external and internal, looked like crap. No better word for it.

"Sorry bout that, really. She's usually a good cah most of da time. Just gimme a sec.

He jumps back into the driver's seat, and tries the ignition again. And again, it sputters on him. Like an old broad suffering from a severe hacking cough.

"Yeah, I'm from Boston mahself. Born and raised till we moved out 'ere." Joey says. "So the Big Apple, huh? What's it like? Heard it gets pretty cold up there..."

Again, Joey continues fiddling with the ignition, cursing to himself.

"I'm sure it don't get much colder than Bean Town, but yeah we had some harsh winters growin' up," Sal replies. "It ain't no paradise, but hey, home is home I guess and da Bronx will always have that special place in my heart. But New Haven's home now and Uncle P ain't been nothin' but good to us and Carolina, even with Aunt Mary dyin' and all, he's always been there for us with a smile on his face."

"So how much longa do ya think this is gonna take? No offense, but we gotta get this job done."

"Yeah," Vito says scanning the streets. "Time is money and I don't think we need to be havin' our soon ta be friends takin up too much more of Paulie's time if ya know what I mean."

The Brothers-

"Ah, eager for business, I see. Alright, alright, no prob. Lemme see..."

Joey taps a few screws and swings around to try the ignition again. This time, it sputters like an old man with a terminal hacking cough, goes disappointingly silent for about a minute, then suddenly kicks into a start, the engine rumbling furiously.

"Ah, mama mia! @#!&in' finally, huh?" Joey shouts excitedly and closes the hood with a slam. He jumps in the driver's seat and waves for you to the passenger seats.

The car itself is horribly shaky, and, if it had not been for the fact that you all held onto the edge of your seats (literally), you would bet your eye you'd have been flung into the streets.

"She's a good cah, I tells ya!" Joey shouts over the engine's noise as you drive through Little Italy. "She was a beaut when I first gots her! Taken quite a beatin', but she still runs good! "

Unfortunately, the shaking ride itself doesn't seem to agree with Joey's claims.

After about half an hour the car stops at an intersection between 7th Street and 14th Avenue somewhere in east Little Italy. To the brothers, this doesn't seem as familiar as the neighborhood they live in, but still, its Little Italy, and nothing one couldn't manage. Along both steets, the brothers can see people clearing up their stores. The sun has already begun to set, the white sunlight slowly yellowing. Still, the night has yet to creep in, so you'd average the time as 5 or so in the afternoon. Nearby, a group of kids are running down the streets, probably getting home to supper. Some people have begun to sit out on the steps of their tenement buildings, mostly men lounging outside after a hard day's work. In the distance, you notice a lone kid leading a man across the street before disappearing around the corner. The vehicle traffic is nearly gone, rightly so as the brothers can remember Mario closing his garage at this time of the day.

Meanwhile, Joey pulls over at the sidewalk and turns off the engine.

"Alright, the joint's around the corner at 7th street. Just head down 14th avenue and walk east down 7th and you should see it."

"I'll stay here in the cah and wait for ya, if ya want. Good luck, boys."

Gathering his wits and waiting for his brother, Sal tries to put on his most intimidating face. "Thanks for the ride, Joey," he says. "We really appreciate it. And if ya wouldn't mind waitin' that would be great too. I wouldn't think we'll be too long anyways."

"I dunno, mista. It's gettin pretty late. I gots to leave for suppa, soon. Besides, all those peeps have probably all gone home..." Paulo says, shuffling his feet.

"Hey, I know! How about you come home with me? I betcha moma can make room for you at da table, sir!" he says.

"Whatdaya say?" he says, looking up at you with a brightm but sly face.

Well Paulo, my little friend, I would not want to put your, your mom, or your sister out. However I am gracious for the offer. IF you could point me off in the direction of Marlesco's Bed and Diner I would certainly appreciate it.

[James grabs another quarter from his pocket and hold it in his hand waiting for Paulo's response.]

James starts to think to himself, "Hmmm lil guy gettin a little too friendly. Maybe I can get some information off of Marlesco and then start fresh tomorrow after a good nights rest. Maybe this inn will do me just fine since I want to finish this off before I leave this part of the city. Its been one hell of a day."

Brothers-

"Yeah, sure ting! I'll keep the cah runnin'. If you need anytin', just gimme a shout, right?"

With that, Joey puts the car on neutral and sits there.

The people on the streets seem to give the two of your strange looks. It seems as if they know who you are, or rather, who you are working for, and you realize some people are going back into their homes. Windows and shutters start to close, and the streets themselves begin to empty themselves in anticipation.

A light breeze blows an old discarded newspaper across the lonely avenue.

James-

"Si, signore!" Paulo responds and leads you at a run to Marlesco's.

Upon arriving, you notice the place is a small establishment at the street corner between 12 St. and 15th Av. A large wooden sign above the doorway displays a bed and the establishment's name. The price of a room for the night seems to be a couple of bucks, not much, but you probably won't be expecting much either.

Paulo stands waiting for his quarter, holding out his hand. He has an expectant, impatient, but cheerful look on his face. At this time, James realize his pockets are now quite light, and the last quarter he is about to give away is the last coin he has left. Hopefully, he might have enough for the room...

Giving his brother a tap on the arm, Sal heads towards Bruno's Joint. When he arrives at the door he holds back to let his brother enter ahead of him. "You'd better go first and do the talkin'. I'll just keep a step behind ya and to your left and try to intimidate the hell out of everybody in the joint." He gives his brother a wink and then gets back into character.

"Si, signore!" Paulo responds and leads you at a run to Marlesco's.

James turns and looks to the little boy, "Well thanks for all your help today my little friend. Heres me last quarter for the day." [James reaches in his pocket and grabs the quarter and puss it out of his pocket. He places his thumb underneath of the quarter and flicks it into the air. As it tumbles up into the air and eventually begins to fall landing in Paulo's little outstretched hand. He then stattes, "Thanks again Paulo..... You were much help for me today..."

When James sees little Paulo run off down the street he will then turn and walk into Marlesco's.

As James waits for little Paulo to run off he begins to think to himself, "Sly lil bugger got me for my change heh. Ohh well hopefully my nice Irish charm and a little insurance" [James pats the envelope] "will get me some good information and possible a nice warm bed for the night."

Brothers-

Vito is the first to walk into the joint, followed by Sal. Bruno's is a small little place, but upon walking inside, you realize the place feels more like a bar than a bed and diner. You probably would have guessed it as the sign outside only says Bruno's in the most subtle fashion possible. There is a reception counter where a small, skinny old man is standing, twiddling through a notepad with a pencil behind his ears. He looks at you but, rather than greet you as potential customers, he gives you a raised eyebrow look, as if saying "Who the f**k are you and what the f**k are you doing in here?"

There is about five people in the room, a man sitting at a table in the lounge area holding a drink, probably liquor from the rosy red his face is turning. Another man is sitting opposite from him, this one a younger man with blond hair. Sitting on his lap is a young woman of about thirty, wearing fishnet stockings and a rather revealing brassier. She has mink fur wrapped around her neck and is holding a cigarette holder between her fingers, taking slow drags from the joint at the end. She looks up at you, but her gaze lingers and even Vito feels as if she might have winked at him from a distance. Her distracted attention makes the man who she is accompanying also look at you, but he gives you a rather annoyed, perhaps jealous, glare. Near the stairway, a man wearing a brown coat and a white fedora, is chatting it up with another lady, probably a Hispanic woman from her rather browned skin.

After a bit, the old man at the desk looks up at you and puts down his notepad.

"Yes, can I help you two?" he asks rather impatiently.

James-

Paulo runs off with a skip and disappears around an alleyway.

As James enters Marlesco's, he looks around to see a quaint little establishment, very small but cozy. There's a reception desk and a corridor leading to the rooms. A lounge area is made up of a couch facing the receptionist's desk, next to a coffee table with a few newsletter stacked on it.

On the desk is a log book where guests sign in their name and their room for the night. There is a bell next to a pad where a pen is held upright for guests to use. At the moment, no one is at the desk.

Somewhere in the back rooms, James hears the sound of muffled speaking.

Sal stands his ground and looks the old man directly in the eye scowling and cracking his knuckles. He patiently waits for his brother to give the man the what for.

James just stands quietly by the reception desk trying to 'overhear' the conversation before making any more advances. He hopes to hear Marlesco's name mentioned.