Improving the Fantasy Fig Finder

• Super Administrators
I'm liking it so far! But I'm afraid I have noticed one possible issue already...

I'm guessing it includes partial-word searches, but that's a problem when I want to search with "male" as one of my terms. It's finding female figures also, I assume because of the "male" contained within "female" -- my specific example being my search for "male human barbarian" which returns 96 results, including 24 females. A search for "female human barbarian" returns... 24 results.

Of course, I do see the usefulness in allowing for partial-word searches as well, so I'm not quite sure how you'd go about resolving this conflict.

That partial word search issue is one I've been grappling with for quite some time. I like the partial word searching, but things like male/female (and reven/revenge, for instance) really reveal the weaknesses of that method. What I'll probably end up doing with that is taking every gender designation out of the title field (which is where the main problem lies), but we'll see what the best solution is as we go forward. Your concern is duly noted. I just didn't want to wait any longer before I released this for the sake of that issue.

kit

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators
I will give it a tinkering with!

M.

EDIT: Good work, though I sort of liked the way the old one was set up more :-/

The old one has serious problems. The first being the inundation of options, not to mention the combinations of those options and the number of zero results.

As I mentioned to someone yesterday, this version is meant to be the antithesis of the old one. Rather than being assaulted by options, this one is the essence of simplicity.

I have some gizmos planned to give starting points like a list of current sculptors, maybe popular searches, and that sort of thing, but for now, this is what we launched with.

I'll also mention that the old figure finder isn't being updated anymore and will soon go away entirely.

And the last thing to throw out: When I was renaming mislabeled pictures, I used the new figure finder to get the job done. :;):

kit

Wow, I love this. It seems much faster than before.

To start a search is far simplier and much faster. I am glad that something was included to show a larger picture of the model searched for, that was by far my biggest complaint with the other tool.

Great job, Kit! I'll get alot more use out of this than the old one.

To start a search is far simplier and much faster. I am glad that something was included to show a larger picture of the model searched for, that was by far my biggest complaint with the other tool.

So have you noticed if the fig has a painted version, that appears as well?

"sword elf cleric" pulls up options it shouldn't. AFAIK, none of the model returned match any of these.

Just disable partial word searching. I don't see how it's useful for the limited case of miniatures. Maybe stick in simple pluralization support. But is there a case where partial word search works for this?

I think you should keep male/female in the titles, as how can people know what a figure is when browsing the store? It's hard to tell the sex from the lil thumbnails.

1) Keep male/female in the titles

2) Disable partial-word-search, I can't think of any case where it's useful in the finder

3) Support pluralization ( limited partial word search ) sword->swords, etc.

2) Disable partial-word-search, I can't think of any case where it's useful in the finder

Try searching for Dancer, Dance and then danc. You'll see a difference. Personally, the only issue I have with the partial word search right now is the Male/Female issue.

I'm usually not one to make requests of this sort, but one thing I think would be cool (and completely not necessary) would be to search by painter name (once the painter credits go in). Being able to find all of the Derek Schubert painted figures really quickly would be neat.

Feel free to ignore this post.

• Super Administrators
"sword elf cleric" pulls up options it shouldn't. AFAIK, none of the model returned match any of these.

I'll be keeping the partial word searching for now. There are some issues on the back end that make anchoring the string to the beginning of a field troublesome. Some improvements are in the pipe to help address this.

As far as the tags, "elf sword cleric" pulls up three results that have each of those words in their metadata, and each one could conceivably be a elf cleric wielding a sword, I suppose. Tags are fairly arbitrary at this point because we only have one or two people coming up with them: one person's paladin is another person's knight, you know. Look for an improvement to address this in the next milestone release.

In the short term, I could move the search exclusively to the tags, but that would clutter up the tag database with metadata that has a better home in other tables. I know this is all rather esoteric, but I loathe redundancy when I can avoid it, and the database design is no exception. So there you have the partial word issue in a nutshell (without going into too much detail).

I'm usually not one to make requests of this sort, but one thing I think would be cool (and completely not necessary) would be to search by painter name (once the painter credits go in). Being able to find all of the Derek Schubert painted figures really quickly would be neat.

This is impossible right now, but I'm working to make this sort of thing possible. No promises, though.

• Super Administrators
Kit, found a minor (but humorous) glitch.

14069: Sir Malcolm, Crusaders Sergeant

One of the painted figures that comes up for him is a Reptus.

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. Now Khong-to has a painted picture. Though he *could have* been a turncoat and went fighting for the crusaders. Though I doubt it.

And while I'm at it, a number of Reven have been miscategorized as Reptus. Ah well. Time to go fixing that.

cold-blooded orcs?

Kit..though the new database seems to have its glitches too (which you are already addressing), the new version is MILES above the old version. I like how I can go to the larger images with just a click.

Just an entertaining side-note, when I first joined this forum, one could not search "elf" or "orc" because both words were too short. :lol:

30001: Queen of the Jungle is listed as Master Series Paints, not Miniatures.

2234 and 2551: Monique Denoir are not listed as Vampires. Is this an oversight, or was she not 'turned' yet?

But never mind those, the new fig finder is great!

Ishil

Kit:

Suggestion for some new tags - equine, feline, canine, etc for anything that might be in those families.

Reasoning: - I went looking for anything with a horse body that I might be able to convert into a centaur. First I searched on Horse, which yielded some results, but no pegasus, centaurs or unicorns. So I had to search each of those terms, too. Then I thought about asking you to tag all of those things with Horse as well. After doing some other searching, I decided that would be too generic - someone looking for a horse doesn't necessarily want to pull up a pegasus or unicorn nor vice versa. Then I realized you could lump them all together by using a tag like Equine. And, apply that to the other things like felines and canines as well.

this would allow Horse, Cat and Dog, etc to be more specific, while still giving a broader search term.

anyway, just a suggestion (that I know will take a while to get in and add all those extra tags)

BTW: I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again - love the new fig finder.