Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Bellrose takes over the conversation again and states, “Well Kurith ----- let me seez ---- name in common ------- great ice. We’z cums across dis long agoz.”

Kurith's eyes widen somewhat at the mention of something familiar to her. "You mean Mongasakruk?", she asks him as she cautiously takes the axe from Bellrose. It feels heavier than her own despite its size. "The big ice on the other side of the Spine of the World?.... is that where it come from?"

She holds the axe in her hands and tries to remember all she had been told of what lied north of the mountains her mother called Asula-Ulus. Dwarves had once dwelt in those mountains, and she had been told that dwarves also made their homes north beyond the mountains beneath the ice. She wonders to herself if Thor might have once lived there too.

Thor interjects, “So part one of our negotiation is just about completes. You best take da axe and be glad fer you’ll be needin its comfort shortly…..”

Kurith nods, though she only half-understood what Thor was talking about. It had grown darker outside and rain was steadily pelting the glass panes of the room's only window. She returns the axe to Bellrose and walks over to the window. Outside, the cobblestone highstreet was now bustling with tarpaulin-covered wagons and pedestrians with their cloaks pulled over their heads: all hurrying to their various homes to get out of the rainstorm.

“Well, we have one downstairs now and you make 2. So what I can do is offer ya sumtin ta eat an drink as we wait fer da rest??? We haves a deal fer now?”

Kurith's attention focuses back on Thor at the mention of food and drink, especially the latter, for quality ale or port was a rarity at The Sailors' Corner. But first, she has to be sure she and the dwarves have an understanding.

"Maybe we got a deal, and maybe we don't. You still ain't told me what the stinkin' job is. "

Her stomach growls.

"Yeah..some food an' drink might be nice.", she says in the off-chance her subtlety was lost on her hosts. "Howz dwarfish of youz to offerz.", she adds, mocking the dwarves' peculiar dialect.

With or without their prompting, she collects her dripping cloak and her own axe and starts for the door to the main hall of The Underdark.

“So what time ye supposed ta meet tanights an is Dagan going to go along?”

“The note said the meeting’s been arranged for 10 tonight, It late as meetings go so I’m curious of course, though I’m sure they have there reason for it, I just as well get a good nights rest and take up the job in the morning though I doubt that be the case.”

“yeah, they did ask to bring Dagan along, though I’m hoping they’ve made some effort in contacting him as well, that’s why I’m hopinig he’ll come looking for me or that we’ll meet up at the Safehaven Inn later.”

“Hmmm, I’m supposed to speak with the barkeep there by the name of Warrick, you know’em?”

“Now that I come to think about it, something about that note don’t fit right, and you mentioned the ones who delivered it were likely human, at least by there size anyways. I’ll showz you the letter at the shop, don’t seemz as it were written by your friend at the Underdark, its written a bitz to proper. From the bit you’ve told me over lunch its strange that the Irongullet brothers would throw there hand in with another group, unless its like you said that they figure on being on the topside of the whole affair when its all done and settled.”

“Any chance that Thor and Bellrose got involved in something and are in over their heads? You be knowning as well as I that many rumors have some basis of truth ta them. But let me stop speculating fer nows, I’m surz they fill in da blanks tonight.., and maybe I’ll come out of its all with an interesting tale or two to share with ya over some dwarven brew on my return!” Quintilas pats Essimuth shoulder and laughs outright as they continue along.

(I'm having a hard time second-guessing the architecture of this place, but I assume it is your basic street-level inne with a basement bar?)

Kurith recalls Thor mentioning another person waiting downstairs and remembers seeing a set of descending stairs next to the entrance of the inn. Assuming that her host was following behind her, she quickly clings her axe, drapes her cloak round her head and shoulders and steps through the inn's main entrance into the downpour.

The large oaken door slams behind her. She turns, but is surprised to see nobody is there. She is sure Thor had been right on her heels, but now all she is sure of is that she wants to be out of the rain again. She is just about to return to the inn to see what is keeping Thor when she notices the dwarf and cloaked human waiting outside the entrance to the tavern. Both are trying desperately to stay dry. It seems odd to her that they would not wait inside.

She pulls her cloak round herself tighter and tries to get either person's attention.

"That the Underdark Tavern there?", she asks as she takes one last glance toward the inn's doors in hopes that Thor will appear.

The street is almost empty. In the distance she only sees one other pedestrian casually making his way toward the tavern.

Eligos is taken aback by the sudden appearance of the Half-orc. Knowing the hatred that the Red Wizards have for half-breeds, he's not too worried about that problem, however, one never knows what one is dealing with when confronted with one of her stature, and the fact that it's a she also could mean an even nastier temper. "Yep, that's the Underdark," he responds hesitantly, "however, they're only letting dwarfs down there. I don't think this one will let ya by." He hooks a thumb at the surly dwarf guarding the door to the tavern.

Eligos, Toldin, Kurith, Darius

(Kurith)

As Kurith stumbles outside Thor is not in tow. You did however startle Toldin and Eligos.

(Eligos, Toldin)

In middle of conversation and watching the strange shadowy figure making his way to you the door open and closes and a half-orc female is standing between you.

Quintilas……

When you reach Eissmuths Shop he unlocks the door and both of you enter the shop. The odd thing is that as soon as both of you enter the store he locks the door again.

Eissmuth looks to you and says, “Best be chattin in de office. Never knowin whos ears be lurkin around.”

You both walk into the office and he closes the door behind both of you. He takes a seat behind the desk and you take a seat in the chair along the office wall.

“Any chance that Thor and Bellrose got involved in something and are in over their heads? You be knowning as well as I that many rumors have some basis of truth ta them. But let me stop speculating fer nows, I’m surz they fill in da blanks tonight.., and maybe I’ll come out of its all with an interesting tale or two to share with ya over some dwarven brew on my return!”

Eissmuth looks to you and says, “About the earlier question ---- never known dem to get in over der heads --- even though they short.”

Eissmuth leans back in his chair and starts to think about the question. A minute or two later he states, “Not suren who dey be working wit or not. They work in intricate circles in the city as I states earlier. Perplexin an’t it?”

“Now Quint ----- wanna be helping de old man the rest of the day or you going to be headin out?”

[Waiting on responses from Vargos. Darius. Toldin]

"Yep, that's the Underdark," he responds hesitantly, "however, they're only letting dwarfs down there. I don't think this one will let ya by." He hooks a thumb at the surly dwarf guarding the door to the tavern.

Kurith takes a look at the dwarf by the door and concludes that she is to become his replacement, however she feels it is best not to mention that until the deal is done.

"You ain't no dwarf.", she says to the taller of the two, though she suspects him to be not entirely human either. "What makes you think he gonna let you in any sooner than he'd let me in?"

Toldin had not been expecting the door behind him to open, as the Inn was closed for the night. He was too busy watching with great amusement the figure running up the street in the torrential downpour. Upon hearing the latch turn, he turned with great expectation that Brundha, had somehow sent a message upstairs for food to be delivered. Then disspointment set in. His hopes forgot that Toldin inside knew this was impossible. There was no connection between the Underdark Tavern and the Inn above (as far as he knew). However, Thor did show up in odd spots on occastion, and Toldin suspected there was a secret escape passage out of the Underdark Tavern. So far he had not found it.

The door slamed behind him, and oddly enough he heard the sound of the bar fall into place. "Why is Thor lockin up?" he thought.

He turned to his right at the slam of the door, expecting to look down into the eyes of a fellow dwarf. Insted, on the perch on his stool he found him staring at the stomach of an extreemly large human. "This cant be right", he thought. There on the leather clad belly he counted at least three dagger hilts poaking out beneath the cloak. His eyes gradually wandered up the new arrival, past the tightly laced leather chest identifying the new arrival as female. A very, very tall female. As he looked up at the strangers face, as if on queue, lightning lit up the road.

The flash of light showed a slightly upturned nose, a strong underslung jaw, and a pair of small, jutting, lower teeth. It was a hard face, scarred and nicked, but oddly female at the same time. Long strands of straight black hair peaked out of the cloak hood, and then the face was shadowed again. Toldin tried to place the face he had seen. It looked almost like the pictures of Orcs he had seen in the Great Library back home. However it was not, but had strong human charactersitcs as well.

The new arrival looked down with her dark eyes (one of which Toldin had noticed was blackened from a fight). She spoke in a voice that sounded like a violin being drug across a swordblade; musical and female, but gravely and rough at the same time.

"That the Underdark Tavern there?", she asks Toldin, pointing at the steps down.

Before he can answer, the other stranger, Eligos, speaks up.

"Yep, that's the Underdark," responds the oddly horned humanoid hesitantly, "however, they're only letting dwarfs down there. I don't think this one will let ya by." He hooks a thumb in Toldin's Direction.

Toldin contemplated his situation in that brief second. Here he was surrounded by some sort of evil Elf-Deamon, half-breed human on one side, and what appears to be some sort of half-breed Orc on the other.

"What by Moradian's Hammer is Thor up to?" Though Toldin. "Are we starting a zoo or a vaudiville show at the inn?" Toldin shook his head to clear it. "Perhaps they will mate and have a Goat or something". He laughed inwardly.

Toldin looked up at the newcommers arrival, soaked with rain and entirely unhappy about Thor's crazy scheme.

"Eye" he said , reaching for "The Last Word"'s pommel under his cloak. "Thats the Underdark. And Im the bouncer. And its Dwarf Night, and only certain guests are allowed in."

The half-orc female looked disturbed at this news. She shifted her cloak to try and stand out of the rain, but there was barely enough room for Toldin and Eligos. Her wide shoulders streched far out from under the overhang and her cloak was already soaked.

After looking at Toldin in the way a stable hand appraises a horse, she looks over at Eligos again. "You ain't no dwarf. What makes you think he gonna let you in any sooner than he'd let me in?"

Toldin sighed and thought longingly of the hot mulled mead downstairs.

"Look", he said more gruffly than he should have. "Yere must have been doing some work with Thor, cause ye came out of the Inn. The Tavern off Limits unless yer name is on the list. So tell me yer name, and you can wait here, or you can be on your way. Its no knot in my beard either way".

"You might want to be careful what you say around this one," Eligos mumbles. "She looks like she COULD knot your beard quite handily!"

Kurith tries to make sense of the banter between the strange part-human man and the dwarf, and concludes that she should take offense. Fortunately for both, she is by now ina mood so foul that she no longer feels like returning any appropriate insults and as yet does not have enough interest in the two to bother getting herself jailed for killing two people in such a fine neighborhood as this. Had the same confrontation been unfolding back on Belnimbra's Street, they would both be in a world of hurt.

"Look", he said more gruffly than he should have. "Yere must have been doing some work with Thor, cause ye came out of the Inn. The Tavern off Limits unless yer name is on the list. So tell me yer name, and you can wait here, or you can be on your way. Its no knot in my beard either way".

Still unsure of why Thor was showing such interest in her, she provides as vague an answer as she thinks he will accept. "You know Thor better'n me. Maybe he jus' needed one more hafforc thug." She pulls her cloak aside a bit more revealing the sap hanging from her belt. The dwarf seems to be looking at her strangely as though a snake had just crawled out of her ear.

"My name's Kurith... just Kurith."

But without having given it much thought, she caught herself looking into the eyes of the taller man as though a snake might crawl from his ear too.

"You waitin' to talk to Thor too?", she asks him. "What'd he tell you "bout all this?"

The strange gathering on the steps of the Underdark does not give Darius pause as he walks up to them. He is used to seeing all different races in his travels, and when he notices that one of the group is a half-orc, a brief smile crosses his face as he thinks of Crazy Old Larry, a half-orc scout of some small reputation, and happens to be the best tracker in this part of the world. He and Larry had gotten into and out of much trouble together a little while ago, and Darius has liked half-orcs ever since.

"The Tavern off Limits unless yer name is on the list. So tell me yer name, and you can wait here, or you can be on your way. Its no knot in my beard either way".

Darius steps out of the darkness when he hears this. "Is that so, Master Dwarf? Then please tell the barkeeper that Darius Gamor is here to speak with him." He nods at the others standing there. "And I suppose that you folks all got a letter or message of some kind as well?"

Before the taller man can answer, a third person joins the party. The soaking-wet human just walks straight up to the tavern door with purpose in his stride. Kurith begins to pity the poor bouncer, as the man appears to be quite capable of raising a ruckus if anybody should try to tell him his kind are not welcome.

Darius steps out of the darkness when he hears this. "Is that so, Master Dwarf? Then please tell the barkeeper that Darius Gamor is here to speak with him." He nods at the others standing there. "And I suppose that you folks all got a letter or message of some kind as well?"

"You s'posed right.", Kurith says with a smirk as she yields a bit of walkway to the newcomer. "What'd your letter say in it?", she asks him specifically, though she shoots a glance at the other humanoid who might also be able to shed some light on what is going on.

(Look i know i havent got my carry done but for "RolePlaying purpose ill post a lil something" If i have read correctly we are in a tavern. if not....I am in a tavern i will keep the post as personal as possible as to not effect the actions of anyone else.)

After months of travel i have made my way to waterdeep. The town itself is huge. Streets twisting and turning. Dark backalleys.

But enough of that. Like i Rein care for the arcitectiure of this place. I need a drink.

I made my way along the strrets looking at the various signs til i came upon what thought was a tavern. I was right i sat at the table and waited......

not like i can do much else til i get settled in the town.

(SRY SRY SRY SRY!!!!)

“They work in intricate circles in the city as I states earlier. Perplexin an’t it?”

“hmmm, sure enough.” Quintilas states plainly as he looks across to the one of the few trusted individuals his come to know within the city.

I wonder if he’d be interested he thinks as he pulls out the note Essimuth gave him earlier.

“and what of this Warrick fellow, the barkeep at the Underdark. What’s his story? You know’em? Has he been working at the Underdark long? Doesn’t sound like a Dwarven name to me."

Quintilas opens the note, he scans the writing for a moment Decipher Script: 12 (Roll: 8, +4 mod) then places the note on the desk “here, take a look” he adds “by chance you think there’s a hidden meaning to it, perhaps a coding amougnst the words? I’m not much skilled at such things…yet” he says with a grin

“Now Quint.., wanna be helping de old man the rest of the day or you going to be headin out?”

hmmm, I wonder

“you betcha I’ll give ya a handz, never hurt to get familiar with da business if ever I be wanting to own it” he looks at his companion to gauge his reaction. “Speaking of which, you recall my interest in acquiring the shop from ya, perhaps a different arrangement can be made” he continue with a glint in his eyes. “that can be quite profitable and rewarding if its done properly” he looks directly into Essimuth eyes

“Sooz, think ya be wanting to hear what I have in mindz?”

Game note: so that the story can move forward and I can get my butt headed to The Underdark, I’ll handle the rest of this dialog with Rylek through PM’s and I’ll post it up for all afterwards. Unless of course Rylek as something planned for the time frame I’m at the shop (like an attack, special visitor etc ) which requires a post.

"The Tavern off Limits unless yer name is on the list. So tell me yer name, and you can wait here, or you can be on your way. Its no knot in my beard either way". Said Toldin.

"My name's Kurith... just Kurith." Said the female Half orc, She then looked over at Eligos who was standing in the only other dry spot besides Toldin's. "You waitin' to talk to Thor too?", she asks him. "What'd he tell you "bout all this?"

Before they could answer, the figure they had been watching run down the pouring street, came up to the base of the steps. With no where left to stand, rain poured down his cloak and swam in rushing currents around his boots.

"Is that so, Master Dwarf? Then please tell the barkeeper that Darius Gamor is here to speak with him." He nods at the others standing there. "And I suppose that you folks all got a letter or message of some kind as well?"

Toldin pulled the parchment out of his cloak and examined it.

"Eye, both you and the er... Lady.. ", toldin glanced over at Kuirth to make sure he had it right, and seeing no offense continued, " are on the list, were just waiting for one more and we should be fine." He tucked the paper back into his tunic.

He looked up at the waves of rain comming down from the heavens and reached over to try the latch to the upstairs Inn. His suspicisions were proven correct, when he found the door locked.

"I cant offer for you to wait inside, as I dont have the keys", said Toldin. "And I cant offer to send you guys downstairs either. There are about three score Dwarves downstairs deep in their cups. Dwarves like to drink among their kind, or those they know really well. They wouldnt take to kindly to interuptions. We dont check weapons at the Underdark".

Suddenly the door to the Underdark opend up sending light flooding into the storm. Up the steps walked a dwarf covered head to tow in an oilskin cloak. The hood was up, but in the half light, Toldin could see two golden braids peak out on either side of a soft, rounded, chin.

"Here comes Dinner", thought Toldin with a sigh of relief.

The cloaked figure moved slowly up the five or so stairs to street level, and when it got to the sidewalk it stoped and stared at the crowd on the steps of the Inn. Then pushing by Darius, it walked up to the top step where Toldin sat on his stool.

Toldin smiled at the figure and spoke softly in Dwarvish <"Ah Brundha, yer a site for sore eyes, tonights a bad night for Bouncin'">. A roll of thunder went across the sky to accentuate his words.

From the shadow under the hood came a soft Dwarven voice. <"What kind of trouble are you getting into out here?">, she laughed. <"If these are thugs, let me know and ill clear them out for you. We wouldnt want to hurt your delicate jeweler's fingers">, she teased.

Out from under her cloak she produced a large hot tankard with a metal lid. Passing that to Toldin, she produced a hard crusted loaf of bread. <"The bread is stuffed with mutton and cheese, and has been sitting by the fire warming up. I dont understand why you all have to wait in the rain.">.

Toldin took the food and drink thankfully and tucked it under his cloak. The warmth from the hot mug and bread radiated under his cloak and began to warm him immidately. <"Dont know, some fool idea of Thor's">, he said back to her. <"Im just glad im not part of it. Your a kind woman for bringing this">.

From the shadows under her hood he caught the parting of red lips and the flashing teeth of a smile. <"I seem to remember the promise of a nice broach someone made for when I took watch for them two weeks ago. You can add this to the bill">. She turned to walk down the steps.

Toldin remembered his life long ago in the Sword Mountains and the hordes of young sweet couriers that used to vie for his attention. Somewhere deep inside, his royal blood bubbled to the top. Toldin reached out and grabbed Brundha's wrist before she could turn away. <"Im a cold Dwarf">, he said in Royal Dwarvish. <"I should be done here soon. I could use some warming up, and their's no fair'er girl in Waterdeep than you>".

He felt Brundha tense for a moment, and instantly was concerned for his actions. He was no longer a Prince. He had fled that oppresive life years ago and was assumed dead. Brundha and the other Dwarves were unaware of his origions. Only Thor knew, and he kept it quiet as a favor for Randgrum, Toldin's old mentor.

However Brunda did not slip out of his grasp. Instead she turned and flashed that sweet smile at him again. She leaned in close. So close that she pushed her dense frame up against his front and pinned him against the old oaken door behind him. His stool rocked back onto too legs with a thump. With a hand on each of his knees she brought her hood up next to his. Her lips brushed his ear. The rain comming down was instantly forgotten. Toldin was mesmerised by her scent, a combination of Dwarf, sweet heather soap, and baking bread.

She whispered softly in his ear, her lips so close, that they brushed his lobe. Toldin could hear his heart beating.

<"Listen Shortbeard">, she whispered sweetly. <"Id only lie with a dwarf that can take me in battle. Ive seen your fine jewler fingers and I dont think your up to the task">.

She pulled back from his ear. The torchlight from the wall sconces caught her blue eyes and they twinkled with ammusement. <"Dont make me break those pretty fingers here in front of all your clients">, she smiled. She let go of his kneeds and his stool rocked forward again.

And with another flash of that pretty smile, she turned and bounced down the inn steps to the sidewalk, and again down the second flight to the underground Tavern.

The Tavern door shut with a click.

Toldin was stunned. All that was left was her smell of heather and bread. Toldin looked up at the others standing around who had watched the exchange. He fliped the top of the tankard and put it to his lips, drinking in the strong mulled mead.

"Er..", he said. "that was.. the er.. maid service."

He hoped like heck they didnt speak dwarvish.