Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Kurith watches the entire exchange between the female dwarf and the bouncer as she awaits an answer from the newcomer or the other man. The female's congeniality toward the bouncer suggests to Kurith that the Underdark Tavern might be more than just an alehouse.

'Get a room.', she thinks to herself, rather irritated by the fact that the bouncer is getting warm food, ale, and aggressively affectionate companionship, and all Kurith is getting is rained-on.

Daruis, who does happen to speak Dwarvish, grins as he overhears the banter between the two stunty folk, before he answers Kurith's question.

"My dear lady, my note simply said, in Dwarvish, that I was to come here tonight, speak a stupid Elvish phrase to the barkeep, and someone I never met before named Irongullet would give me a job. Now, being a mercenary by trade, this very scenario has presented itself to me on numerous occasions, and hasn't always worked out for the best. But, work is work. If I turned away business every time I was suspicious of the circumstances, I would never make any money, would I?"

Kurith nods as the man answers.

"I don't speak elf, but they wanna hire me too. I dunno what the job is, but they gonna pay me a lot to do it."

She speaks quietly so as not to be heard by the dwarven bouncer.

"I done dirty jobs b'fore, but ain't 'nuff gold in the city to pay me to lay down with no stunty dwarf johnny. I ain't nobody's sulagh." *

* sulagh = orcish for concubine for those who know the language

"I received the same instructions from someone as well." Eligos pipes in quietly. "Curiosity appears to have overwhelmed my better judgement on this one, but at least we're all in the same boat. And a sopping wet boat it appears to be at the moment!"

"I received the same instructions from someone as well." Eligos pipes in quietly. "Curiosity appears to have overwhelmed my better judgement on this one, but at least we're all in the same boat. And a sopping wet boat it appears to be at the moment!"

"Can't get much wetter", Kurith says with a laugh. "You got a name?", she asks, feeling as though she and he and everybody else may as well get to know each other since they are all there for the same reason.

"My name is Eligos, fair lady," Eligos responds meeting her gaze with his strange yellow eyes. "Whatever this business is about, I hope that it gets started soon, before we either shiver to death or drown!"

He wraps his cloak a bit tighter around his thin body. "I'm part of the entertainment over at the Three Pearls. Where do you folks hail from?"

"I live up 'round B'limber Street.", she replies, butchering the street's proper name. "Ever heard of the Sailors' Corner?", she asks, hoping seriously that he has not. "I work there, bustin' drunks' heads."

She looks into his eyes, noticing for the first time how yellow they are.

"So, whatsit you do at the Three Pearls?"

"I've heard of it, but I admit I've never frequented the Sailor's Corner," Eligos responds. "I'd say that bustin' heads as you call it is definitely a profession to be respected. As for what I do, with my appearance and the tricks that I can do, I put on a little show most nights. The crowds there seem to enjoy it pretty well. Nothing too spectacular, but it pays the bills."

"You mean magic tricks?", Kurith asks, having never seen a stage magician, but knowing of them.

Then she skips the formality of idle conversation and gets straight to what she has been wondering.

"You ain't a drow elf are ya?"

At the word "Drow" Toldin's head snaped up.

"Oy, Lady.. Dont speak of the dark ones so lightly. Of all the evil disease infested Elves, they are the worst. Many a tome Ive read about their dark orgies and sacrifice of Dwarven Children. Its a great lack of manners even to joke about them in Dwarven company."

He pulled his cloak tighter around him in the rain.

"There is a reason that the Gods placed Dwarves under the mountain. And its to keep the evils that live in the bowels of the earth deep where they belong. No other race had the <dagras> to do the job."

Nodding to himself with the proper defense of his race and the evil of Elves, Todlin took raised the tankard back to his lips again.

"I guess that you could call them magic tricks," Eligos responds. "Though I don't have to study and prepare my powers as actual wizards do. It's basically something that I was born with and grew into as I matured."

"You ain't a drow elf are ya?"

The strange looking creature chuckles softly. "No," he answers, "I'm not a drow elf. I'm not an elf of any kind." He directs this last comment more in the direction of the dwarf than to Kurith. "Believe it or not, both of my parents are normal humans. No one really knows why I am what I am. I'm what people refer to as a tiefling, basically a freak of nature. People assume that we are the spawn of demons and such, but to the best of my knowledge, this presumption is completely false. I'm sure that you know how it is though, because we are different, people think many things about us that are completely untrue. I'm sure that you've been called a savage beast and worse in your day and from what I can tell in our brief interlude here, those statements would be completely false."

"IBelieve it or not, both of my parents are normal humans. No one really knows why I am what I am. I'm what people refer to as a tiefling, basically a freak of nature. People assume that we are the spawn of demons and such, but to the best of my knowledge, this presumption is completely false.

Toldin munched on his bread, watching the rain fall down on the heads of the odd crew that circled around him.

"Eye, Spawn of Humans and Elf-witches" Toldin thought, "But of course the poor lad dosent want to get into his history too much."

Toldin looked over at Eligos. "If yer a wizard, why cant you create some kind of magic to keep the rain off of us? A tent or something overhead would be nice. I would think that if Thor is hiring you for a job, you should have some usefull skills. Unless your ability is to summon baudy puppet shows. Lets see what youve got."

He looks at Eligos expectantly.

The strange looking creature chuckles softly. "No," he answers, "I'm not a drow elf. I'm not an elf of any kind. --- People assume that we are the spawn of demons and such, but to the best of my knowledge, this presumption is completely false"

"I.. didd'n know..", Kurith interrupts with a meek apology.

"I'm sure that you know how it is though, because we are different, people think many things about us that are completely untrue. I'm sure that you've been called a savage beast and worse in your day and from what I can tell in our brief interlude here, those statements would be completely false."

Kurith grins ruefully. "May jus' be.. but don't go tellin' nobody.", she says with a laugh.

Toldin looked over at Eligos. "If yer a wizard, why cant you create some kind of magic to keep the rain off of us? A tent or something overhead would be nice. I would think that if Thor is hiring you for a job, you should have some usefull skills. Unless your ability is to summon baudy puppet shows. Lets see what youve got."

Kurith rolls her eyes at the dwarf, but then begins laughing all over again. "Ain't gonna do no good. Ain't nowhere still dry on me to wanna keep the rain offa!"