Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

He takes another gulp of his spiced drink. "Say, this stuff is extraordinary!! Who is the brewer?"

Toldin sighed. Why did he allways get the Humans that wanted to break the rules. It seems like at least once a month some human got it in his head that if he could actually force his way into a Dwarven bar, that the Dwarves would embrace him like a long lost brother. Under his cloak he put his hand on the pommel of "The Last Word", his bouncer's mace. He ran his finger over the Rune inscribed in the handle, that if invoked, would send a message to the bartender below that there was trouble out front. He had only had to use it once, on a drunken Watchmen. The resulting swarm of Dwarves out the front had been like fire ants out of a kicked over mound.

Toldin nods down the stairs through the rain. "Its our own, we brew it here at the tavern, as well as a Stout and a Pale Ale. The porter is brought in from the Sword Mountains, and we have various dwarven whiskies and liqours from all around the Realms. "

He takes another draw.

"As for entering the tavern, you see its a kind of test." Toldin paused to let the conversation sink in. "The person who hired you said to stay here, and now is seeing if you will stay here", Toldin shrugs his shoulders. "Dont know what the job is, thats between you and Thor."

Toldin rocked back non-cholantly on his stool. "As for the tavern, there are a couple of problems with you enjoying your mead inside. First, Ive been asked by my cousin to keep non dwarves out of the tavern tonight. Its my job. And as a member of the family, i have to do my job.

Second, theres only a five foot ceiling down there so, youd have to bend over. A lot. Third, no one would serve you, because its Dwarf Night, so you wouldnt get a drink. And lastly, though Dwarves are usually happy go lucky when sober, the get downright surly when Drunk. Just out of curiosity, how many drunk Dwarves have you fought at once?"

Not waiting for an answer, Toldin points across the street. "Now right over there, theres The Swords Rest. Its a Mercenaries bar as well as a job posting spot. Its got eight foot ceilings, and a whole mess of your lot sitting around, doing whatever you Humans do when you drink. Im sure you could get a drink, stand up straight, not get accosted, and probably even a new job".

"As for the rest of us, we dont particularly like standing in the rain either. But patience is one of the great Dwarven Virtues, and builds character and leadership. So im askin nicely, please follow yer directions."

Toldin pauses realizing his mug is empty. He also realzies that he was not only wet, cold, tired, and thirsty, but if it were not for this fool job of Thors, he could be happily sitting downstairs, on the inside of the Tavern's door watchin the rain in relative dryness.

"Ill tell you this though.", says Toldin to the mercenary. " If that son of a bugbear dosent show up soon, ill give you half the gold in my pouch to go grab the first Alley Drunk you can find and call him Vargos.

The Mercenary was about to respond, when the new arrival stepped forward and asked Toldin a question.“What’s that list for anyways? As you say my name is on that, list, and if its to do with why I’m here tonight then my brothers name should be on it as well, Dagan MuHillin is his name. if you wouldn’t mind taken another look?.”

Toldin nodded his head. "Eye your Dagan's name is on this list also, but Thor said he is has already contacted Dagan. He may be inside, may not. Im not sure. As for the list, its a group of people my cousin is recruiting for a job. Dont rightly know what it is either. His instructions though, were for you to all wait outside until you were all here. I apologise for the weather, but Thor insists. Id take you upstairs to the Inn behind me, but its locked. Downstairs, however is the Inn, and it being a Dwarf Only night, they dont take kindly to strangers. Especially the kind that have to stoop to come in the door."

Quintilas simply nodded to the Dwarven bouncer for the add news of Dagan, then turned to the only human in the group that just asked him of his brother

Did he say Dagan?

"Excuse me, sir," Darius says to Quintillas. "But did you say Dagan MuHillin?"

That I did, I had expected to find him here already. Sounds as if you know’em. I’m Quintilas Duskwander” he says as he extends his hand in the usually greeting fashion “and you are?” Quintilas asked.

Knowing that its possible that this man could be an assassins sent by the Sword of Woe to hunt for Dagan or he could possibly be working as an informant who makes a side living selling out people for gold or favors, Quintilas plays the role of first time meetings while taking in the mans features. He and Dagan could track him later in the hopes of finding out who his contact source might be in the City.

Edited by Lorderl

Eligos politely thanks the barmaid and quietly sips the hot mead while waiting on the others to show. He has finally found a spot where he's not getting any wetter and the mead helps to warm up his innards.

Darius listens to Toldin's monologue on the drinking habits of dwarves and alcohol's effect on them, enjoying the conversation, though not really learning anyhing new. He has no intention of going inside, and his remarks are simply an attempt at getting information from the surly bouncer. As he opens his mouth to stir the pot once again, the newcomer to the group speaks to him.

"That I did, I had expected to find him here already. Sounds as if you know’em. I’m Quintilas Duskwander” he says as he extends his hand in the usually greeting fashion “and you are?” Quintilas asked.

Darius takes the offered hand and says "Darius Gamor. And no, I don't know Dagan personally, just by reputation. I have heard that he is a skilled tracker, and was surprised to find out that this Thor person has employed two. But, if it is a large job, I suppose that two trackers is a good idea."

Vargos…..

The lady states, “Well……….. come back here into my office and we shall chat for a while…..”

She walks up to the door and slides the “closed” sign and moves back towards her office. As you follow her into the her office you see a desk with a big soft chair. Enclosing the room are many great books on shelves and in front of the desk are 2 more chairs. As she takes a seat behind her desk she motions to Vargos to be seated in front of her. As you sit down in front of her she proceeds to chant and the door closes and locks.

She states to you, “Well ------ you want to know about the dwarf brothers eh????”

It tends to be quite the long conversation (mostly one sided --- hers). You come to find out that brothers have been in Waterdeep for quite some time. They only recently were able to purchase the “upstairs” portion of The Underdark and turn that part into an Inn. You also realize that the brothers work independently from one another as well. Each brother has his own agenda and are quite successful but when they work in unison with each other both are almost unbeatable. Not only do they do work for themselves ---- but ---- they also look out for the better of their “local ties” as well.

She tends to ramble on for most of the afternoon keeping your attention. You come to realize by then end of your conversation with her that its almost 5:00pm. Shes given you quite the history lesson on Thor and Bellrose but also a little insight as to the “workings” of the city as well. You had taken particular attention to a few details that may aid you in your future life in the city such as never wander about the streets at night by yourself ---- tooo many gangs as well as a few corrupt city guards. Also try to not draw attention to yourself, especially in the dock wards. Furthermore you know how to get from her store to The Underdark --- as well as ---- she pointed out a place to grab a bite to eat before your adventure begins.

When she is done she opens the door and shows you the way to entrance to her shop. As she flips the sign back to open she reminds you, “Well kind knight ----- please remember what we have talked about this afternoon. It may someday aid you in your travels. Please stop by my shop any time in the future ----- and please ----- don’t run off any of my patrons……..” (She starts to laugh to herself and shuts the door behind you leaving you back in the rain soaked streets.

In the streets you head West towards The Way of the Dragon. You can feel the late afternoon is settling in and by the stories the “Old Lady” you realize it would be best to get a move on off in the direction of the The Underdark. You start to head north on The Way of the Dragon and notice there is not very much action going on in the street. You see a few members of the lamplights guild making their way towards you. With a quickened pace you head north.

You make your way to Brian’s Street and head east. Once you hit the High Road you continue north. As you are walking north your belly starts to rumble reminding you the last thing you ate was way earlier in the day. You remember a place she told you about “The Swords Rest” so you decide to make a pit stop there for a quick dinner ---- plus it puts you in the local vicinity of the The Underdark.

As you make your way into The Swards Rest its now about 5:45. You pick out a quiet table in the back of the tavern away from the locals so you can keep your thoughts to yourself. Once inside a waitress makes her way to your table takes your order and continues on with her business. Through the course of the dinner you have 2 meads and a nice steak and potato. You finish your meal and last of your mead and head for the door. As you leave the establishment the rain is pounding very hard and there seems to be a thunderstorm rolling in. The somewhat limited visibility tends to make you believe no one in their right mind would be out on a night like this. As you make your way to the north you reflect a little on what has transpired this very day.

You head north for a few minutes and see a crowd gathering across the street in the location of The Underdark……

Darius, Eligos, Toldin, Quintilas, and Kurith……

As your conversation continues you notice another silhouette making its way towards the group.

“I don't know Dagan personally, just by reputation. I have heard that he is a skilled tracker, and was surprised to find out that this Thor person has employed two. But, if it is a large job, I suppose that two trackers is a good idea."

Quintilas thinks for a moment, ruffling through the layers of his memory for the so called trackers name, but comes up empty.

“ah I see, and you’ve heard correct. Dagan is quite the tracker, he honed his skills by tracking me when we were younger. Early on at times I would make the trail easy enough for him for encouragement, but as he already possessed the natural instincts for tracking I soon found myself against an adversary with the cunning and instincts of a Dire Wolf!” he jests with the obvious exaggeration. “He was even named The Wolf of Cormanthor Wood by the tribe when we set off adventuring to see the world, he’d since then shorten the title by dropping Wood” he says, seeing if the short tale registered any recognition in Darius eyes. Though not many knew of their beginnings, its not something the pair tried to hide, as they knew it was a simple enough bait that they hoped would draw out anyone that was overly eager to get close to them. Also, Quintilas himself adopted the title so that anyone looking for Dagan could get them confused. The simply ploy would add some confusion to their location since any inquiry for the Wolf of Cormanthor would yield multiple and contradicting responses, giving the brothers time to narrow in on any agents of the Sword of Woe’s.

“I guess in this business its always best for a tracker to know whom their competing against for the most profitable jobs I take it?”

Darius looks puzzled for a moment, as if he were taxing his brain, trying to recollect something. "The Wolf of Cormanthor, you say? Funny, I grew up in Mistledale, and never heard such a name. But, it's impossible to know everybody." Darius lets out a small laugh and makes a gesture with his hands to indicate the whole world.

"You are right about one thing, though, it does pay to know your competition. But, from the sound of it, we will be working together on this, and could learn from each other. Every tracker has his own way of doing things, you know."

He spies the figure moving towards them, and indicates the shadow with a nod of his head. "This could be that fellow we've been waiting on. What's his name...Vargas?"

"Let's hope so," Eligos replies shivering a little despite the warm mead that he has just imbibed. "I'll be more than happy to get in out of this tempest."

"This could be that fellow we've been waiting on. What's his name...Vargas?"

Kurith smirks. "Well if it weren't his name b'fore, it is now!"

Darius laughs out loud at the half-orc's quip. "You are correct, dear lady," he says to her. Then he shouts "Hey! Vargas! Get over here so we can get in out of the rain, huh?"

Quintilas watches the gray figure draw closer and is about to speak when Darius shouts out to the approaching figure. He looks about him and notices everyone has a tankard in hand. Recalling what the dwarf said about Thor leaving instructions for them to wait outside until all members were accounted for his says

“How long have you all been out in this, this tempest?” he asks, looking to and quoting the hooded figure near the overhang and noting the pair of yellowish eyes peering out.

Hmmm.., what have we here?

he then looks over to the dwarf and says “if this fella approaching isn’t Vargos, then Thor can send for me at the Swords Rest, because that’s where I’ll be. Makes no sense at all to stand around in the rain till he’s good and ready to deal with us."

"I've been out in this for most of the afternoon actually," the tiefling replies. "It's amazing how one's curiosity can over-ride common sense especially on a particularly sodden day such as this one."

Quintilas is intrigued by the calmness in the mans voice, considering he must be cold from the manner he’s wrapped in his cloak and from being in this foul weather all day.

“Well, if this isn’t our remaining member approaching your welcome to join me at a table and leave your curiosity here to wait with the dwarf, your sense may return once you’ve dried off a bit.” he pause a moment then continues “for that matter, why don’t we all share a table at the Swords Rest and see what we can put together of this here gathering?” he states, looking at each remain person in turn.

Looking to the dwarf upon his stool he says “You will tell Thor where we are when he comes alooking won’t you?”

"Sounds like a good idea, ....", Kurith says, trailing off just before she makes the faux-pas of referring to Quintilas as human. "I been here all afternoon an' still ain't heard nothin' but run-aroun' blither outta these dwarfs.... 'cept for Toldin there. He's arright."

She looks over toward Toldin. "You prob'ly wanna get us all outta here 'fore that li'l lady of yors comes back anyway, don'tcha."

Quintilas looks over to the dwarf and says “if this fella approaching isn’t Vargos, then Thor can send for me at the Swords Rest, because that’s where I’ll be. Makes no sense at all to stand around in the rain till he’s good and ready to deal with us."

Toldin, sitting up at the top of the stairs watches the one lone figure running towards them in the rain. Over the thunder he shouts "Eye, im thinking this ones the last. At least im hopin. Only fools or family would stand out in the rain like this, and im getting paid for it."

Looking down at Quintilas he continued "As for my cousin Thor, his ways are a bit strange to me, him being a City Dwarf and me from under the Mountains. But no one can discount his genius for business. He built this dive into one of the most famous inns in Waterdeep, at least for us Dwarves. Even got a mention in Volo's guidebook."

He waved at the the group in general with his tankard "One thing you can count on, is if Thor's got an idea, that theres a large sack of coin at the end of it. Otherwise it would make no sense to go through the effort".

Still though, he mutters "Would be nice to get out of the rain, even though im the only one wiith the nearly-dry spot".

The half orc looks over toward Toldin and says. "You prob'ly wanna get us all outta here 'fore that li'l lady of yors comes back anyway, don'tcha."

Toldin sputters on his mead and begins to cough. "Er.. she's a er.. cousin. She was just wispering some important er.. secrets to me. There Dwarven secrets not meant for outside ears. Sorry", he shruged confidently. "Dont expect any of you topsiders to understand Dwarven culture though".