Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

(joint post with Spike)

After everyone other than Quintilas and Kurith have left the coach, the half-elf sits across the driver allowing Kurith to take up a more intimidating position alongside the driver.

“here, lets have at that” Quintilas says as he takes the bottle away from the driver after letting him have another drink of it. He helps himself to a swig of the dwarven brew to get into the mood of questioning the driver, then motions it over to Kurith incase she feel inclined to get herself loosened up as well.

“My little sister and I” he motions with his head in Kurith direction as he pulls a shiny dagger from its sheath on his leg “would like to have a few friendly words with you about the Hawkwinters. I wouldn't be give’n her a hard time about it either, if you be knowin what’s good for ya, been a long day and she getting right down pissy with the way things have turned out tonight, so this can be easy fer ya or….” he lets the last part trail off as he glances over to Kurith, making sure the driver catches his meaning, then he leans in slightly with the point of the blade directed at the driver.

Kurith edges nearer to the driver untl she is almost but not quite shoulder-to-shoulder with him, maintaining what she thinks of as her own personal space. Her experiences over the last few years had given her a real appreciation of freedom and autonomy and she only tolerates other people being in her space if she intends to beat the stuffings out of them or if she finds them compellingly attractive. At this point in the interrogation, the driver qualifies for neither.

Kurith reaches across and accepts the bottle from Quintilas. While part of her wants to finish off what remains of the dwarven brew, she keeps to the plan of getting the driver drunk enough to let his quard down and speak more freely. Never the less, she takes one good pull and then pretends to take a second. Kurith turns her head and shoots a deliberate glance at Quintilas' dagger before she passes the bottle to the coach driver. She wants to be sure the driver takes note of the dagger as well.

"Now that we all work for Boss Hawkwinter, how 'bout you tell us what kinda man we're workin' for." She presses the bottle into the driver's hands even if he seems inclined to refuse. "Got a name?"

Edit: forgot to give credit to Spike for the joint post :poke:

"Come then," he says impatiently to Rothgar. "Take me to them. By Helm, waste not my time!"

"I don't think this will take much more than a couple minutes. I'm betting they will probably run off almost as soon as we get there. What I would like to do is try to follow them a bit if they do run just to make sure they don't have friends waiting for us down the road."

Under his breath so that Vargos is the only one that can hear him. "Honestly sir, I've just met most of them myself. I trust the Irongullets' judgement on their abilities, but sometimes, the old men like their rascals a bit too much. Much as I would prefer some of the others for their stealth, I know I can trust one of Helm's Blessed Knights to watch my back in the alley."

At full volume again. "I know you lack the stealth, and probably the desire to approach them silently, but if they think you are a lone individual walking, they may not spook so readily. I'd like to surprise them with my appearance and see if we can get them to take us back to their mates. If they run, I'll follow em for a bit. If you can make sure they don't circle back and try to take me from behind, I would be most indebted to you sir."

Taking note of the Tiefling. Rothgar shrugs his shoulders. "He's not doing much right now, and I've always felt it's best to let the spellcasters have their naps. I don't want to listen to him griping the rest of the trip about how his robes got soggy and how he couldn't get any rest so his magic won't work. Leave him here. He shouldn't be a bother."

With a quick nod, Rothgar indicates the general location of the alley and fades into the shadows.

Edited by Qwyksilver

Darius, hearing Rothgar's words to the knight, says, "Noise is what you want. Just make a lot of noise, and scare 'em out the mouth of the alley, an' I'll cut 'em down." He nocks two arrows for emphasis. "Who wants to bet I can hit one of 'em in the eye?"

(joint post by ERL and me)

As the driver grabs the bottle and has another tug at it, Kurith asks him his name. The driver then makes a fatal error and proceeds to take another pull as if believing he will answer the half-orc when he’s ready. That’s when Quintilas just about has had enough of waiting, knowing full well they don't have all night to question the driver before the others return from the ruse to draw the paladin away, the half-elf jumps at the driver

"enough of this bullsh*t" Quintilas says dryly and then slaps the bottle away from the driver as he has it to his lips. “grab’em.., bring’em down!” Quintilas says to Kurith as he reaches for the driver himself.

Kurith sees the half-elf's hand reaching toward the driver, but she has her own method, which she quickly puts to use. Grasping her trusty sap with both hands so that only a half-inch of its tethered grip extends beyond the smallest finger of her right hand, she winds back and hammers the driver straight in the groin. As she expected, the driver doubled over forward clutching to protect what remains of his manhood.

"I sed what's yer name, human!", Kurith snarls in the man's left ear as she grabs a fistful of hair on the back of the man's neck. "Or is it ya need help rememberin' it."

Kurith gives the fistful of hair a good twist, just enough to pull a few hair completely out.

Kurith keeps pressing the driver's upper body over so that his nose almost touches his knees. She then speaks to Quintilas for the driver's benefit.

"What comes next, big-brutha?.. ear, or eye?"

Quintilas gives a satisfying smile to kurith then leans in closer to the driver

“I told ya its been a long day and one of those nights when things just don’t seem to be going right. I guess you’n just didn’t knows what’s good for ya, do ya? You must be deaf or something, or will be if you don’t cooperates. To make matters worst, you went and got me sister all riled up when she was being right down friendly with you, guess you better brush-up on your manners for the next time a pretty lady asks your name.”

Quintilas reaches down and picks up the bottle and stands it upright “can’t let this stuff goto waste , especially when ones at a pig roasting, and my friend, you’re the main course. Your going to squeal like no other pig ever has or I’m going to let my little sister have at you, just like at our last pig roasting.” he says pausing long enough for the driver to take in his meaning. “you know, I don’t reckon anyone ever found any bones left over come the following morning, ain’t that right sis?” he states giving Kurith a quick glance

“So first your gonna tell us what part of the North Ward the Hawkwinters estate is in, and by what route you were planning on takin us, then your going to tell us all you knows about the Hawkwinters and this spellcaster Tempest he has under his employ.”

“oh, and by the gods man, tell her your name before’n she plucks your eye out and eats it like a bloody cherry, its damn painful I gather by the way the last pig squealed, and its not really a pretty sight I tell ya.” he adds, his voice cold and calm.

Kurith's stomach churns slightly at the thought of eating anybody's eyeball. She had often heard drunken sailors' tales about cannibal tribes on remote islands that ate the flesh of their captives or drank their blood. She had also heard more than one person speculate that all orcs were cannibals too, but she knew that was not true. Orcs did not eat other orcs, nor did they generally eat their non-orc captives unless faced with the alternate choice of starvation. Orc warriors tended to collect only the heads of their slain and leave the rest behind for the worms and flies to finish. Goblins, on the other hand, would eat danm near anything they could get their hands on..or their teeth into.

"Nuh-uh..not pretty to look at..", Kurith prattles on, embelishing the story further "You told it wrong Big-brutha. I took his eye out, but it was him what ate it."

<Part 1...... for Tempest>

The Hawkwinter Estate……

Lord Hawkwinters Office…..

Tempest…..

"Yes, I have a number of questions. First, what sort of protections does the City of the Dead have? Has it been ensorcelled in any way? You also said that the Watch protects it during the day; are there no patrols inside or out during the night? And where within the City of the Dead is the Deepwinter Vault located? Is the vault locked, and are there any secret means of entrance or egress? How do we access the hidden stairway to the crypt? How extensive is the crypt, and where within the crypt is the staff located? Are there any known guardians, traps or enchantments within the crypt itself? Since you mentioned that Kerrigan had crafted other items in addition to the staff, are you concerned over this hired group indulging in any 'grave-robbing' from the crypt? Assuming we are able to retrieve the staff, what do you want me to do once it is in my possession?" Tempest takes a breath, then adds, "and did you mention something about wands?"

Lord Hawkwinter replies, “You see there is a watch that makes sure all living visitors are out of the cemetery before sundown. Now after sundown it is rumored there is a rogue guild responsible for keeping the walls guarded with traps and the such. Deepwinter Vault is located in the North Western part of the City of the Dead. Now as for the vault itself it is very small however it does contain a secret passage to the Dungeon of the Crypt. You see Tempest the wards have vanished giving anyone the ability to make entrance into the crypt. Once you make your way into the crypt there lies a huge coffin. By rotating the coffin sideways it should reveal a staircase heading off down into the depths of the vault continuing into the crypt. As for the location of the staff I have no idea. As for grave robbing ----- lets call it grave liberating from our point of view, and our sources confirm there have been no such attempts in years. In the earlier times there were but met with bad consequences to the parties involved. Now once you have the staff in your possession we will talk about what is to be done next. First and foremost we need the staff and our focus should be on that item of interest for now.”

Leaning back he says, “Now about those wands ---- I will get them for you before your departure.”

Sitting back up on the couch he takes a drink of coffee and continues, “Now about the entrance into the City of the Dead. We have secured a point of entrance this evening for quite a high price. As well we were able to secure a crude drawing of the layout of the crypt. Having friends in the right places can get you interesting articles from time to time. But getting back to the entrance of the city it will be done this evening. The rain gives us quite a good cover for making the entrance undetected.”

Suddenly there is a knock at the door.

You hear one of the staff state, “Lord Hawkwinter ----- there is gentleman here to see you .”

Lord Hawkwinter having a perplexed look on his face looks to you and states, “Give me a minute. We will get back to this once I return.”

He gets up walks over to the door, opens the door and in the waiting area you see what would appear to be someone of authority in a uniform. Lord Hawkwinter closes the door leaving you to sit alone in the room to collect your thoughts…………

<Part 2...... for the group>

On the move to the North Ward…..

The Carriage….

After the carriage comes to rest; Vargos, Rothgar, and Eligos make their way out and proceed off into the alleyway; and the driver makes his way into the carriage with Quintilas and Kurith.

After taking a few more pulls from the bottle the driver does not really pay attention to his surroundings nor does her really care about the group that departed down the alleyway. However it is apparent he does like the dwarven booze and has quite a taste for the stuff.

“My little sister and I” he motions with his head in Kurith direction as he pulls a shiny dagger from its sheath on his leg “would like to have a few friendly words with you about the Hawkwinters. I wouldn't be give’n her a hard time about it either, if you be knowin what’s good for ya, been a long day and she getting right down pissy with the way things have turned out tonight, so this can be easy fer ya or….” he lets the last part trail off as he glances over to Kurith, making sure the driver catches his meaning, then he leans in slightly with the point of the blade directed at the driver.

With a glance down at the dagger the driver suddenly becomes uneasy in his current situation. Ttrying to think of something quick he grabs the bottle for another pull.

"enough of this bullsh*t" Quintilas says dryly and then slaps the bottle away from the driver as he has it to his lips. “grab’em.., bring’em down!” Quintilas says to Kurith as he reaches for the driver himself.

The driver expression after this is one of fear.

Kurith sees the half-elf's hand reaching toward the driver, but she has her own method, which she quickly puts to use. Grasping her trusty sap with both hands so that only a half-inch of its tethered grip, she winds back and hammers the driver straight in the groin. As she expected, the driver doubled over forward clutching to protect what remains of his manhood.

"I sed what's yer name, human!", Kurith snarls in the man's left ear as she grabs a fistful of hair on the back of the man's neck. "Or is it ya need help rememberin' it."

The man immediately doubles over and his name comeout something like, “Eeeeeeoowowoowowowowowwwwww --- F8&K!”

“So first your gonna tell us what part of the North Ward the Hawkwinters estate is in, and by what route you were planning on takin us, then your going to tell us all you knows about the Hawkwinters and this spellcaster Tempest he has under his employ.”

“oh, and by the gods man, tell her your name before’n she plucks your eye out and eats it like a bloody cherry, its damn painful I gather by the way the last pig squealed, and its not really a pretty sight I tell ya.” he adds, his voice cold and calm.

A few more minutes go by as the driver is clutching his family jewels and mumbling vulgarities under his breath. However given time he starts.

The driver states, “Names Elistin………”

Rubbing his groin he continues, “The Hawkwinters are a lesser noble family of Waterdeep. Live off of Mendever Street.The route was going to be High Road to Traders Way to Mendevers Street.”

“Grabbibng the bottle from your hands quickly he takes another pull. He looks at both of you. Keeping an eye on Quintilas’ dagger he continues, “The Hawkwinters’ employ a spell caster by the name of Tempest. She runs one of their shops in the North Ward. As for what she does ----- I am not quite sure ----- just know that shes emplyed by them.”

As the pain in his groin is starting to subside he looks at both of you and wryly states, “So ---- curious about the Hawkwinters are ya…. Well ------------------ they got money -------------- lots of money -------------- and friends. Friends for sure ----- and the ones in low places if ye know what I mean. Some say they workin on a plot to make move in the ranks of nobility in the town ----- but those are just rumors.”

Elistin takes a hand and slowly reaches into his cloak. Peering out the window he says, “So what happened ta yer friends?”

Kurith allows the driver a chance to answer and tries to make sense of it. Of course he howls, groans and swears a lot, as Kurith expected, but then he dispenses a short lucid tidbit regarding the Hawkwinters' home and the route he was going to take. Her own experience has taught her that most of his sort will not giveup what they are trying to hide until after at least the second round of what The Captain called 'counsel'.

Elistin snatches the bottle from Quintilas somehow, in spite of his precarious position at the point of the elf's dager. He tells the both of them that Tempest is a mage of some sort who owns her own shop and works for the Hawkwinter family. He goes on to mention something about the family having lots of money and friends in low places. Kurith guesses she and Quint are two such friends; a fact which she takes strange pride in.

"What kindsa plots is it they're..", Kurith starts to ask when she sees Elistin's hand reaching into his cloak.

"Like hell you do!", Kurith snarls . Before he can draw out whatever it is he is reaching for, Kurith takes hold of his earlobe with her left hand, freeing up her right hand to give him a punch or two about the kidneys.

Kurith's Opposed Grapple Check (step 1 to attempt to deal Nonlethal Damage to Elistin) (1d20+9=11)

Kurith gives Elistin a good punch to the kidneys (providing she passes Grapple Check in step 1) (1d3+5=7)

For a moment Quintilas thinks to cut the drivers hand open as he reaches for the bottle, then thinks better of it as he believes he can get what information he needs from him without doing so. Besides, he wouldn’t have to try or particularly cared to explain such an action to the others upon their return.

After hearing the meager response from Elistin, Quintilas looks over to Kurith. Gauging her reaction, he believes they’re in the same mind of thought, in that Elistin has more to share with them whether he knows it or not. Of course the share look could be that they’re both bored and fed up with the evenings events and this simply gives them the opportunity to vent a bit at Elistin expense, while still gaining the information they seek. Quintilas also isn’t very please with Elistin causal demeanor and he witty statement of “So.., curious about the Hawkwinters are ya…”

Then it happens, Elistin makes the decision for them by slowly reaching into his cloak while trying to distract them by peering out the window and asking about the others in the group. His ill played maneuver and error in judgment lead to an ensuing chain of events that quickly begin to unfold before Elistin even knows what literally hits him!

Kurith being in a better position reacts before him, though Quintilas also grabs Elistin, so Kurith can deliver a couple kidney punches that rock the driver. As Elistin grasps for breath Quintilas grabs a full head of hair in one hand and slightly lifts Elistin head, then with the dagger still firmly in hand he bring a punch of his own across Elistin jaw.

While in his disoriented state Quintilas begins to drag Elistin down to the floor.

“That my friend is going to cost ya. I told ya you were the pig at a roasting, not the friggin honored guess, so that means were asking the questions and you’ll be squealing for us like the piece of meat that you are, got it!” he says in a low voice

“lets get’em onto his stomach” he says glancing over to Kurith, a wee bit of a sly grin crossing his lips “get his arms around his back and break one if he tries anything stupid again!” he says as he reaches into the drivers cloak to see what he was trying to retrieve.

As he reaches within Elistin cloak he finishes the question Kurith had started before they had to move onto a more perilous questioning scenario for the driver.

“your really getting yourself into a $hit of a bind here, or what is it, you have something against half-orcs or something?” Even though Quintilas knew that this comment might anger Kurith slightly, if she actually thought the driver felt so, he only hoped that it would move her from acting, to a more natural and convincing role to ensure that the driver could see the severity of his predicament.

"So.., as my sister here started to ask ya, and mind ya now, be polite. What kinda plot is it that they’ve put into motion concerning the ranks of nobility in the town? Who are these other nobles or houses that they’re specifically moving against? Also, what steps are these other houses putting into motion to prevent the Hawkwinters from achieving their goal? Surely any real power play against one of the other nobles within the city wouldn’t go unnoticed for long by the other houses. Or is it that the Hawkwinter’s have one of the more powerful houses within the city participating in this plot on their behave?” he asks these questions as he rest his knee from behind and across the side of the drivers head as the driver lays across the floor.

Kurith is rather surprised by Quintilas' reaction to Elistin's furtive reach. As was her habit, she had long-since sized the half-elf up and guessed that he might weigh seven stone and parhaps a bit more, but he did not have what she thought of as the hands of a fighter. His knuckles did not look sufficiently abused yet.

With a bit of aid from Quintilas, Kurith shoves the poor man down onto the floor of the coach. Naturlly he kicks and flails his arms about in protest, but Kurith eventually is able to pull both arms behind him. He continues kicking for a short time, but just as Kurith expects, his kicking ceases as she pulls his left arm further back as though she means to seperate his shoulder.

"your really getting yourself into a $hit of a bind here, or what is it, you have something against half-orcs or something?", says Quintilas as he resmumes the questioning.

"Ya don't like hafforcs, huh?", Kurith chimes in on Quintilas' cue, but at that moment, it occurs to Kurith that there is the slightest chance that this is not the first time she has met Elistin, though maybe he had used a different name at the time. Still, he had come from the North Wards, and he liked his drink, and he even wore his hair in the same manner. He had even gone so far as to say that he had been down in the Docks before, and Kurith suspects he had been there quite a bit, but not necessarily on business. 'Waterdeep's a big place.', Kurith tells herself trying to shove the notion out of her head, but the notion refuses to leave without further coaxing. While Quintilas continues with the questions, Kurith takes a long look at the man whose arms she is daring to break. She tries to imagine him lying on his back leering up at her with watery bloodshot eyes and a single gold coin clenched between his perfect white nobleman's teeth and his fine black shirt unbuttoned as though his rather unmuscular and hairless chest might impress her. For a brief moment, she has a real fear that Elistin will recognize her from The Mug and Bucket and dispel every single bit of Kurith's credibility as a ruthless legbreaker, but then Kurith notices that Elistin has only five fingers on his left hand.

She gives his arm one final tug in the wrong direction so that he lets out a barely audible squeal, much to her satisfaction.

"You 'bout to danm-shure hate 'em."

Kurith looks toward Quintilas. It is likely evident to him that she is no longer playing pretend.

Tempest rises from the couch and quickly moves to the bookshelves near the door, pretending to look over the tomes while trying to overhear Hawkwinter's coversation beyond the door.

[Listen check, unknown DC: 1d20+4 = (14+4) 18)]

~v

Darius continues his lookout from atop the coach. He tries to keep one eye on his three companions heading toward the alley, and the other on everything else.

How much longer are they gonna be at this foolishness? he wonders. We could already be at the Hawkwinters' estate by now, and getting answers from the horse's mouth.

Thinking of horses makes him think of Gordon, and begins once again to worry about his friend, when he hears a commotion from inside the coach.

What the hell is going on now?

As the driver lets out another gasping squeal, Quintilas gives Kurith an approving grin but makes no sign that she should refrain in any manner.

“dam if that don’t sound like it hurts somethin fierce.” Quintilas states plainly hoping to antagonize the drive into squawking away and providing them with all manners of relevant information. “Listen mate, what say you play nice and tell us what we wants to know before’n she tears that arm off.” he continues. Seeing that Kurith has Elistin pretty much in a lockdown, Quintilas rises and crosses over to squat near the drivers face.

“you a family man Elistin, got any friends or a pretty lady somewhere you hope to see again?” he begins asking the rhetorical questions “I’m going to make this right down plain and simple for ya. You tell us whats’ we wants to know and this night will be as if this predicament your in never happened, and you may even be a few coins richer for it as well. But if ya don’t or if ya goes on squealing about stuff that don’t rightly sounds right to us well…, my little sister will start tearing body parts off one by one, starting with that arm. Now.., we don’t want those nice folks that you call friends to start wondering why you haven’t been stopping by your favorite watering hole, now do we?” he finishes, the whole time he speaks he motions with the dagger side-to-side as he watches the painful expression upon Elistin face.

Vargos becomes annoyed as he travels with the group towards the alleyway, annoyed of the rain splattering against his armor, and annoyed at being ordered around.

"To the Nine Hells with all these sneaking, where are these bloody highwaymen you speak of?" the paladin blurts out.

He turns to the alleyway and shouts:

"In the name of Helm, I order yee to come forth, scoundrels!" he shouts in the direction where he is heading. Drawing his blade, he stalks off ahead of the group into the alley, ready to face anything that comes at him.

While speaking with Elistin, Quintilas leans forward, and an unusual, disc shaped silver medallion pendant on a chain slips out from underneath the half-elf shirt and through the front opening of his cloak. On one side of the medallion surface is a black bow, and as it dangles in place it spins revealing a thunderbolt on the other side. The medallion rotates several times before it comes to a halt, while spinning, an optical illusion revealed the thunderbolt set in placed on the black bow, prepared to be fired.

Quintilas grabs the medallion and simply tucks it back away unconcerned whether Kurith paid any notice to it, not that she or anyone else he figures could discern its origin or meaning for he himself does not know, only that it serves as a means from which he may focus his spells through.

Rothgar fades into the shadows of a nearby alley and disappears into the night, returning to the Underdark by a circuitous route in order to collect the remainder of his possessions and find a room elsewhere for his stay in Waterdeep.