Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Recommended Posts

Quintilas thoughts are of young Marcus and his purposed proposition to Essimuth as he takes his leave of the Temple of Good Cheer.

 

As he descends the stairs he notes that the drunks which he spotted earlier have taken to forming a community amongst to themselves, one is sitting upright, the other two are sort of laying down with necks propped up against the wall with legs bent and the soles of their feet flat on the ground. He can’t quite hear them but can see that the trio are in a hushed, private council. Knowing that many of the cities less than prominent figures would take shelter within a derelict domicile rather than be bathed in the cleansing rainfall that has blanketed the city, Quintilas suspects that this lowlife bunch have a more in mind than just keeping there torn ragtag tattered outfits dry. Most bums tend to be loud and usually looking for an easy handout, so the scene before him makes Quintilas watchful to there actions.

 

It’s amazing how even those with not but the clothes on their backs can find a common goal when it comes to the suffering of others he thinks, suspecting that this group is up to something.

 

As he draws nearer he picks up a small part of there whispers, something in accordance to a count, “2...” . The bum sitting upright pulls his arm out from behind his back and a flash of steel catches Quintilas attention.

 

Normally, Quintilas would deal with troublemaker such as these by avoiding the confrontation altogether or by bestowing a few bruises and lumps that would heal easily enough in a day or two, unfortunately, their timing good not be any worst! Not so long ago Quintilas had the misfortune of having several crossbow bolts impaled in his back, an incident in which he surely would have died had his brother not been there to save him. The incident was thought to be put behind him, it was not! Quintilas unknowingly carried a buried burden of guilt and failure within him over the entire incident.

 

The scene before him is much like that of the tomb, it was dark, he was alone and the enemy lurked in the shadows, All this added with his recent troubled nightmares causes something to switch within Quintilas. He no longer stood in a hallway with an easy escape route behind him, nor does he believe that he’s faced against a few haggard bums that he could easily dispatch of. No, things are much, much worst, he just turned from harrying his brother to speed things up when he spots his assailants. They will soon realize the grave error that they’ve made. He will not let his brother down, or to let him fall prey to the likes of these.., these Bastards! Much blood will be spilled and these thieves of the Sword of Woes would learn the cost of confronting one of the Wolves of Cormanthor!

 

In less than a lapses of an heartbeat Quintilas is upon his would be attackers.

 

DAGANnnnnn!…” is all that’s heard as he leaps into battle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jarius.........

 

The year is 1375 DR. It is the beginning of the Spring Season here in Waterdeep. The Dock District is beginning to bustle again as well as the trade folk in Caravan Court seem to have appeared overnight. There is a slight rain outside and Waterdeep is beginning to see the light of day this early morning. Seems as if the City has fared yet another long winter.

 

The afternoon service is just about finished at The Spires of the Morning. Ghentilara (AKA Sunrise Lord Ghentilara) --- the leader of Clergy of Lanthander (sect within the Church of Lanthander) has just finished speaking and is making her way ---- along with her entourage ---- down the main isle of the church and disappear outside into the vestibule.

 

After the service you make some small talk with some of the clergy. You proceed out of the worship hall and filter into the vestibule. The only ones left in the vestibule are just the lower ranking members of the church including yourself. As you are contemplating on what you can do next you hear your name being called from back inside the worship hall.

 

“Jarius........”

 

“Jarius………”

 

“Jarius……..”

 

 

When you enter back into the worship hall you see someone flag you over to an alcove in the hall itself. As you make you way over you see its Dardiana Pegason (A lesser noble of The Order of Aster) calling you over to her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dagan.......

 

Making cautious strides down the street you see an object fall from a rooftop with a blood curdeling scream [about 60 meters from your location] ---- “Aaaaaarrrghhghhhhhhh ayyyyyeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! [THUD]” A few seconds later it smacks the ground. At the exact same time the falling object hits the ground you hear something hit the ground right in front of where you are standing between you and ogre. The object then hits the building behind you. A quick glance behind you reveals that an arrow has just missed it’s target --- you. Your attention taken away ogre begins to run towards the object that had fallen from one of the rooftops.

 

A quick glance down the street shows the beings that were out are starting to scramble. Some of them must have noticed the object falling and the yelling.

 

:blink:

 

 

Quintilas.......

 

The center bum mutters so the others can hear, “1 ………… 2 ………..” The center bum immediately jumps to his feet and wields something in his right hand while the other two fumble to get to their feet as fast as the first. The bum in the center is making a quick dash in your general direction saying, “Get em!!!!!!!!!! He looking rich!!!!!!!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith……..

 

Looking around the bar with the dream fresh in your head nothing really stands out. The patrons are all different then what you can remember in your dream and the time of day is not correct.

 

Irenda looks to you, leans in and replies, “Aftern youz don eatin you meetz wit friend ofs mine. He needin brawn to help em out (She slides you a quick wink and a subtle smirk) wit a lil job. Oh yaz don’t be troubled wit me --- he lendin me some muscle while you gonz.”

 

You sense that Irenda is only interested in your muscle and ability and not you and a womanly half-orcness.

 

Just when she finishes her sentence to you a little female gnome walks up to the table with a plate. The gnome slaps it in front of you and walks back towards the kitchen area. Food choices today look pretty grim ---- some type of vegetable and some sorry hunk of mangled fish meat.

 

Irenda stands up looks at you and states, “Him be herin ina bit… Eatz well.”

 

 

 

 

Eligos……

 

Outside you feel the rain begin to pelt your face. Nice damp day here in waterdeep.

 

Knowing where the tower is located you know you have to go East through the dock ward to the trades ward. Good thing its still daylight for you realize no one wants to be walking around any districts especially the doc district alone at night.

 

A few shops come to mind just down the street from the Warm Beds Inn. Lanternmaker Zort Ulmaril Shop as well as The Bloody Fist Tavern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling his hood up over his head, partially to deflect the rain and partially to divert prying eyes that all too often drift to his strange appearance, Eligos heads east towards Snail Street. His curiosity about the strange request from Kolats Tower over-riding any other business that he had planned for the day.

 

Errands will just wait until late, I guess he thinks to himself bowing his head into the rain and walking as briskly as possible in the wet conditions. Hopefully none will take undo notice of the nondescript hooded figure hurrying through the unpleasant weather, none-the-less he tends to duck into alleys or disappear into shadow anytime that anything resembling a Red robed figure emerges from the gloom.

 

Once on Snail, he'll head south to Filet Lane, east to Slop Street and North Northwest on Slop Street and around to Fishwife Alley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith eats what is on the plate, though with trepidation. Though none of the faces in the room strike her as familiar from the dream, she still believes the dream may have been foretelling something.

 

With nothing better planned for the evening, she waits for whomever Irenda was speaking of, hoping he is not one more in a long line of the sorts of people who view half orcs as nothing more than meat-shields and slow-witted trapspringers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quintilas stands facing off against the last of the assailants from the Sword of Woes, his eyes are ablaze with an anger which not even he knew he possessed. The silhouette of two other lifeless bodies lay sprawled across the now bloody ground, the remains of this last Bastards! companions.

 

It was all like some dream, only moments ago Quintilas was being confronted by three members of the deadly guild, what little knowledge he knew of these assassins he acquired from Dagan, but all he need know is that they are MURDERS! Worst yet, they sought to take the life of one whom though not his brother by blood, is his brother in life.

 

Yes, it was all like a dream to Quintilas, before his assailants even realize it, he had tumbled across the tomb. Through his minds eye he could see a young half-elf close the small gap between them and then the sound of two short swords “Shing” rang simultaneously across the dark dank room, this was instantly followed by a glinting of light upon the masterfully crafted blades as they escape from their respective scabbard. The swords now rest in trained hands where they silently awaited to strike as their master comes to his feet before his intended target.

 

He was like a wolf that had cornered his prey, and his sharp deadly fangs had been exposed. He stuck quickly at the one that had revealed himself the most threatening of the trio. Wrought tempered steel pierced scrawny flesh as sure as a hot knife through butter, what normally would have been a simple flesh wound turned into a fatal strike as the half-elf leaned into his thrust which pierced the mans throat. In his next motion as he turned, he swung the short sword with the blackened steel pommel in an arc, taking a backwards step and drove the blade through the other mans arm. This strike was even deadlier for it went through the mans bicep, between a set of ribs, and then the tarnished steel blade silenced the rhythm within.

 

The half-elf stepped forward, pulling both sword free from within their victims. As he did so, blood started pouring out of their respective wounds, immediately both bodies slump to the ground with a “Thud”, a murmured sputter and twitch of their bodies is the last this world would ever hear of them again.

 

He spins the twin blades forcibly in front of him and what blood had rested upon the pair of finely crafted metal is now spun about the room. Yes, it is all like a dream as he watches the half-elf standing, holding his weapons firmly in his hands awaiting for the opportunity to strike again. The remaining mans features are obscured by shadow, yet Quintilas eyes narrow as he takes in the outline of his adversary, there is nowhere whence he can hide now that one of the Wolves of Cormanthor has him in his sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius pulls his hood up as some small protection from the rain as he strolls cautiously down the street, looking in shop windows and casting a wary eye on all passerby. While trying to decide if he should go straight to the Underdark, his stomach growls and makes up his mind for him.

 

Not wanting to risk the food at the Underdark, his feet turn in the direction of the Unicorn's Horn, already thinking about one of their famous meat pies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dagan backs against the wall and looks up. He lets ogre attack the fallen lifeless prey that lay helpless in the alley. Dagan draws his bow and looks up for his attacker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(So sorry for the delay, been busy)

 

Vargos steps aside from the door, and mimicks as if he was just standing there, out of the rain, resting. He waits to see who it is that exits the shop, mostly out of curiousity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vargos….

 

You wait for about 15 minutes as the transaction takes place in the shop. You notice the customer walking his way towards the door with something wrapped up in a towel. The customer (elf looking person) gives you a really nasty glare ---- pulls up the hood on his cloak and continues down the street. As he proceeds down the street he mutters something to himself.

 

 

 

Dagan…..

 

Drawing your bow and looking off to the rooftops everything appears to be moving in slow motion. Your peripheral vision reveals Ogre enroute to the fallen person until he leaves your vision. You also see the people ‘out and about’ scrambling around the street off in the distance. Then there it is…….

 

You see a silhouette of person stand up from a rooftop (about 30’ from where you are and 30’ high on the rooftop caddeycorner) and you see some type of motion. A second later you hear the skipping of an object hit right in front and left to where you stand.

 

 

 

Darius….

 

Walking into the Unicorns Horn there’s only a handful of patrons on the inside. Looking around, you see 6 tables and the bar. The only open table is the one back in the corner. Looking over to the bar there is a seat open there as well.

 

 

 

Quintilas…..

 

As the end of this fast paced battle continues to unfold the last man (not knowing what just happened to his first two ‘friends’) continues to make an advance on you. You see him draw back a fist but he begins to stagger……

 

 

 

Kurith…..

 

As you finish your meal and continue to take mental notes of the room and patrons on the inside you see a small dwarven man enter the establishment and walk up to Irenda. Irenda says something to him (you can’t make it out at all) and you see her point over in your general direction.

 

The small dwarf walks up to your table and grabs a seat. He gives you a once over shoots a quick glance back to Irenda and then focuses his full attention on you.

 

The dwarven man is about average size for a dwarf 4’5” and about 155 lbs. His face is very round and has a patch over his left eye and a nasty scar moving right through the patch. You noted to yourself he carries with him a longsword around his waist and a dwarven axe strapped on his back.

 

He looks at you and says, “Irenda tells me you got good hands and good sense. I’m in needs of good hands for a little misson we’ll say. Knowing Irenda, she tells me you would be good candidate for da job.”

 

He leans back looks over to Irenda a motions for something to drink.

 

He then looks back to you and says, “Irenda bringing 2….. So anyz question?”

 

 

Eligos……

 

The rain is cold to the skin. Thank goodness for the weather for keeping a lot of the patrons of the city indoors today. As you make your way to Snail Street you do not see a whole lot of people out and about. The ones who are out and about have hardly paid any attention to anything at all besides getting to their destinations as quickly as possible to get out of the weather.

 

Moving onward towards Filet Lane there are even less residents out then on Snail Street. That lane being uneventful you start to wonder to yourself, What do I owe this meeting for. You start to remember from your past in Waterdeep and try to recall if you owe them a debt or anything from months past. However you come up with nothing.

 

You then make your way along Slop street and find just about as much of Waterdeep population out and about as on Filet Lane (slim to none).

 

When you finally hit Fishwife Alley there is starting to be a little more population out even though the rain is starting to fall harder. Still nothing out of the ordinary strikes your attention. You then appear to be in front of Kolats Tower. Looking to the door the sign in the window says “OPEN”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit paranoid and sensing somekind of shady evil-doing in the air, and lacking any subtletly, Vargos considers first if he should follow the man but, seeing that stalking is too base of an activity for a noble knight like him to be doing, he stands straight and cups his left hand around his mouth and shouts:

 

"Hold ye, man! Hold!" he shouts with the tone of a guard telling a suspect to halt.

 

He stands with both hands on his hips, gauging the man's reaction.

 

If he runs, he has something to hide. If he turns around, then I can talk to him... Helm enlighten me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith assumed that the dwarf was the one she was to meet the moment Irenda pointed him toward her table. She watches as he crosses the room, taking note of his armament. She scarcely acknowledges his presence as he takes a seat at her table. As he speaks, she remains reclined in her chair with her hands folded on the table in front of her and an intentional lack of expression on her face.

 

He leans back looks over to Irenda a motions for something to drink.

 

He then looks back to you and says, "Irenda bringing 2. So anyz question?"

 

"Yes.", she replies, leaning forward and making her first deliberate eye-contact with the dwarf. She had already been thinking about what the terms of her employment might be, though she reckons the dwarf was not counting on her to have done so.

 

"What do I hafta do. How long do I gotta do it, when ya gonna pay me, how much ya gonna pay me, and when ya don't pay me, whaddaya want me to call ya when I'm bustin' yer legs?"

 

She then leans back into her chair, folds her arms across her chest, and resumes her statuesque behaviour, though she continues listening and watching the dwarf's every move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eligos……

 

The rain is cold to the skin. Thank goodness for the weather for keeping a lot of the patrons of the city indoors today. As you make your way to Snail Street you do not see a whole lot of people out and about. The ones who are out and about have hardly paid any attention to anything at all besides getting to their destinations as quickly as possible to get out of the weather.

 

Moving onward towards Filet Lane there are even less residents out then on Snail Street. That lane being uneventful you start to wonder to yourself, What do I owe this meeting for. You start to remember from your past in Waterdeep and try to recall if you owe them a debt or anything from months past. However you come up with nothing.

 

You then make your way along Slop street and find just about as much of Waterdeep population out and about as on Filet Lane (slim to none).

 

When you finally hit Fishwife Alley there is starting to be a little more population out even though the rain is starting to fall harder. Still nothing out of the ordinary strikes your attention. You then appear to be in front of Kolats Tower. Looking to the door the sign in the window says “OPEN”.

 

Stepping into the doorway of Kolats Tower, Eligos takes one more look around to be sure that he hasn't been followed. Curiosity still getting the better of him, the young tiefling shrugs his shoulders and pulls the hood from his devilish-looking face. With a snap of his fingers, the water soaking his clothing and body evaporates in a thin haze of steam and he steps silently through the doorway. He puts his friendliest, most confident expression on his face and looks for a reception area of some sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You see him draw back a fist but he begins to stagger……

Now!… Quintilas instantly strikes even as the thought forms in his mind. Steel drives into the mans left shoulder. A stinging wound to say the least, one that would help the man recall the events of this encounter.

 

“let your masters know that any other assassins sent will meet the same fate as your companions, no others will be spared! Now go!” he says as sets himself to strike if the man doesn’t rush off immediately. Quintilas figures the man will be dead soon enough as he will likely be put to death by his superiors for returning without completing his task, but seeing as they were so easily bested by him then perhaps his adversaries inexperience is also lacking in such knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...