Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Darius breathes deeply as he enters the warm inn. The smell of baking pie wafts into his nostrils and sends his stomach into a frenzy of gnashing and churning. For some reason, the meat pies here are Darius' favorite thing on all Toril, and he'd walk through fire and hell to get one.

He goes to the table in the corner, where he can keep an eye on the whole room, and waves to the barmaid. She wanders over and smiles at him. "Well, hello there, it's been a while since you've graced our door. One or two tonight?"

"I'll take two, Annabelle, one beef and one lamb. Plus some stout, and a wedge of cheese if you have any."

Darius…..

Anabelle looks over to you and states, “Ahhhh you sure that’s all????” As she is talking to you she slides you the slightest wink. She continues, “You have been gone for what 4 or 5 months now and all you want are 2 meat pies?????? Heh!”

She turns and begins to walk back towards the bar. At the bar she converses with one of the waitresses and the waitress takes off into the next room with a tray full of drinks. Behind the bar Anabelle slides you a wry smile as she is pouring your porter into a pint glass stein. After the glass is full she begins to walk her way back over to your table making sure to accent her movements as she closes in on you.

When she gets to the table she leans in really close and puts the stein in front of you. When she slowly removes her hand from the table it ‘accidentally’ caresses your arm as she withdraws. She stands beside your table looking you in the eyes and says, “Are you sure that’s all you want????” [With a smile].

Quintilas…..

The third man not quite understanding what had just happened to him still tries to strike Quintilas. The alcohol still running through his veins have numbed the reflexes and pain receptors he misses and falls forward tripping over the ‘ring leader’ of this operation and lays on his stomach.

Looking down at the man you notice you hit him much better then expected. The pool of blood dripping out of his shoulder is flowing and saturating the ground rapidly. A few minutes later he breathes no more.

You find yourself in the bottom hallway with 3 dead bodies laying at your feet……

Eligos…..

“Halt ……. Eligos!!!!!!!” states Branta Myntion. As you are gathering your bearings she basically arrives in front of your eyes. She tells you, “Your services will be needed at The Underdark this evening. You will tell the barkeep ‘Lle merna aut farien?’ with a whispser and he will direct you further. Thank you for your help and we’ll be in touch. Now please be gone!” And she basically leaves you standing all alone in Kolats tower……

Kurith…..

"Yes."

"What do I hafta do. How long do I gotta do it, when ya gonna pay me, how much ya gonna pay me, and when ya don't pay me, whaddaya want me to call ya when I'm bustin' yer legs?"

The dwarven man leans back into you as he begins to speak, “Good …. We needin your type good….. I’m in needs of good hands for a little misson we’ll say. You’ll find out more later. As for pay ---- bettern then makes here… Now ya wants to go or not ---- If’n not I can gets others ----- but you come wit most recommendation and we pays good for that.”

The dwarven man leans back and slides Irenda a look to see if she has the drinks poured yet.

Irenda just had finished off pouring the last porter and starts on her way back to the table. When she arrives she adds in her input, “Kurith gots to take dis one! Can gets ya into biggern bettern things. It all good. We be fine here while you off. No worries --- we have assistance.”

The dwarven man looks to Irenda and states, “Aye they be here before sundown.”

Vargos…….

The elf continues on his way as if not hearing you…….. he doesn’t even look back nothing just continues on his way…….

Quintlias rolls over the last assassin with his foot, looking him over for a quick moment for any signs of movement or deception before knelling to see what his adversary have in their possession. As he searches the bodies he calls out in a hushed tone “hey Dagan, where are you?”. Not particularly expecting to find much in the way of anything of real value from such inexperienced hired hands, though he is hoping to find a note or something that may give an indication as to whom sent them. Quintilas hopes they were arrogant or foolish enough not to dispose of such evidence.

The rain continues to fall outside as he rolls another body over. As he searches he starts realizing that something’s not quite right, these assassins aren’t carrying any weapons. With another quick inspection and help from the dim light coming through the small window overhead the door, he can now gets a better view of his assailants, he then confirms that not one of them is wearing any armor.

Something wrong here As if on que the wobbly door leading into the hallway burst open from the brewing storm outside then it rebounds and slams shut again. Light washes over the corpses on the ground, then reality sets in and the encounter replays its self out once more in his mind.

Yes, it had all been like a dream to Quintilas, guilt keep buried long enough has its ways of twisting things around, and only now that he stands witnessing the after affects of it that he starts to understand. Both he and Dagan chose their lifestyles and both are experienced enough to know the consequences of their choices. He knows in his heart that he would fight alongside his brother till his last breath and that he cannot guide the hand of fate to determine their paths in life. With a wryly smile he knows that Dagan would not have him torn apart inside so if he did not live on, but he would have Quintilas celebrate his own life if he wanted to honor the memory of his brother.

For a moment he feels pity for the three men laying at his feet, that is until he remembers the shank and spots it near one of the bodies.

“Grief and guilt may cause one to do odd things in life but stupidity will surely get one killed” he says out loud to himself in a soft plain manner as he turns and makes his way out the door into the wet streets of Waterdeep leaving the encounter, corpses, his guilt and grief behind him.

The cool rain once more washes over him with a tantalizing and invigorating effect, straightening his vest he once more makes his way towards Essimuth’s Equipment shop and thinks of the enormous hug he’ll give Dagan when he catches up with him.

Eligos…..

“Halt ……. Eligos!!!!!!!” states Branta Myntion.

Eligos stops as commanded. Looking around uncertainly for the source of the stern voice issuing it.

As you are gathering your bearings she basically arrives in front of your eyes.

The young tiefling does not register much shock at the sudden appearance, relief is evident in his eyes however and he relaxes his guard as soon as he notes the lack of resemblance Branta Myntion has with the Red Wizards of Thay.

She tells you, “Your services will be needed at The Underdark this evening. You will tell the barkeep ‘Lle merna aut farien?’ with a whisper and he will direct you further. Thank you for your help and we’ll be in touch. Now please be gone!” And she basically leaves you standing all alone in Kolats tower……

As the wizardess disappears from sight, Eligos looks about initially in confusion. His confusion dissipates rapidly however; being replaced with a large amount of annoyance and irritation. Not seeing anyone in the immediate vicinity, he bellows, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?? I came all the way here through a torrential downpour, worrying the whole time that I was being led into a trap just to receive a message to traipse back across this blasted town to ask a barkeep if he'd like to go hunting??? No offer of compensation?? No regard for my time?? I do have a job that I need to do in order to eat, if you wizards think that you can just order me around without explaining things better than this, you've got another thing coming..."

Eligos trails off in his rant realizing that he's possibly pushed things a little to far. These are powerful wizards here and pushing them too far by throwing around threats would most probably be ill-advised. He stands quietly in the same spot in which he was left and waits for some sort of response. "I mean, I'd just like a few answers," he mumbles sheepishly.

The dwarven man leans back into you as he begins to speak, “Good …. We needin your type good….. I’m in needs of good hands for a little misson we’ll say. You’ll find out more later. As for pay ---- bettern then makes here… Now ya wants to go or not ---- If’n not I can gets others ----- but you come wit most recommendation and we pays good for that.”

"Whaddayou mean my type?"

Kurith glares sharply at the dwarf as he encroaches on her personal space, but then looks away and heaves a long sigh. "Maybe I'll come an' maybe I won't. But I ain't nobody's whore. If I don't want the job, I ain't gotta take your money. Got it, Stunty?"

Irenda just had finished off pouring the last porter and starts on her way back to the table. When she arrives she adds in her input, “Kurith gots to take dis one! Can gets ya into biggern bettern things. It all good. We be fine here while you off. No worries --- we have assistance.”

Kurith looks at Irenda and laughs. "I dunno what you told him 'bout me you crazy haff-human. He better not be jus' another big-talkin' short-arsed johnny."

Quintilas……

When you reenter the street you notice it is starting to get darker outside. The early afternoon is slowly turning into mid afternoon and its still raining wickedly outside. Looking around the streets are just as vacant as they were earlier this afternoon. You can begin to feel the chill slowly take over the day and see Eissmuth beginning to locking up the shop…..

Eligos…..

"I mean, I'd just like a few answers," he mumbles sheepishly.

You hear a familiar voice of Branta but see no signs of her. She states, “You will find out in due time young tiefling!!! Now look to your feet!!!! Time is short and you’ll be rewarded accordingly!!!! No vacate the premises please ---- we have work to be done and if you continue to bother us?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!”

Looking down at your feet you see something quite interesting a ring. It has a gold band and an opal offset on the band.

Kurith……

"I dunno what you told him 'bout me you crazy haff-human. He better not be jus' another big-talkin' short-arsed johnny."

Irenda looks to the dwarf and laughs…. She looks back to you and says, “No worry Kurith… Him gots good front man.”

The dwarf leans back in his chair and takes a quick glance outside to see what the light situation is looking like outside. He leans back into the table looks to you and states, “Okies the deals this …… we meetin ats The Underdark tonight. If’n ya wants to come you can either come wit me now or be on your way solo at night!!!! We meetin in abouts 3 hrs. Meet outside of entrance.”

Kurith sighs again, annoyed with the dwarf's ambiguity.

"How 'bout we go right now then.", she says though with a hint of sarcasm. "I got nutthin' else to do."

< OOC >

Okies? :rolleyes:

</ OOC >

Still a bit uncertain about all of this business, Eligos picks up the ring and examines it. Even if the ring were not magical, which he highly suspects that it is, its value as a mundane item far exceeds what he would otherwise make in wages at The Three Pearls. Pocketing the ring, he shrugs in resignation, pulls his hood closely about his face and heads out of the tower.

"Damnable wizards," he mumbles softly to himself as he opens the heavy door and moves out into the downpour. "Why do they always have to be so vague and mystical about things??" He shakes his head and walks back towards Slop Street to retrace his steps back to The Warm Beds Inn. Being totally unsure of what to expect, Eligos wants to be sure to have more than just his dagger and his wits available to him in case a dung slinging contest erupts.

An hour or so of slogging through torrential downpour later, he arrives, soaked and bedraggled, back at the inn that he calls home. Drying out as best he can with the towels provided by the thoughtful hostess (no need to waste his gifts to dry off here, nobody to impress), he stops briefly by the counter and asks Caidiana if she would send a quick meal up to his room as soon as possible. He leaves her a gold coin for her efforts and heads quickly up to his room.

Upon entering his meager accommodations, Eligos removes his wet clothing hanging the cloak on a peg next to the door and pinning his other clothes onto a line hanging across one corner of the room. He towels the remaining dampness from his body and slips into another pair of breeches and a simple tunic. He then stokes the glowing embers of the dying fire in the small stove in the room and adds a few pieces of dry firewood. Soon an inviting warmth is emanating from the stove, heating the room and drying out his wet garments.

Soon after the fire is going, his meal arrives; a thick, hearty beef and potato stew accompanied by a large hunk of fresh cornbread slathered with rich honey-butter. A large pint of golden ale has also been placed on the tray brought in by Caidiana. Eligos tips her generously for the meal and settles up his debt for his lodgings here while she is in the room. Once she leaves, he sits in a small wooden chair and hungrily devours the delicious meal. He hadn't realized just how famished he was.

When his meal is finished, Eligos checks his clothes and decides that they are dry enough to change back into them, after all, unless this rain lets up again, he'll be soaked through again anyway before arriving at The Underdark. He changes back into the clothes that he was wearing earlier in the day, straps his belt-pouch to his waist and begins gathering any other gear that might prove useful. Not know exactly what he'll need, he takes a few sheets of paper, folds them neatly and places them into his belt pouch along with a piece of colored chalk and a small magnifying glass. He then ties the pouch securely to keep moisture out, it's oiled outer skin should be sufficient to keep the water from soaking through. Before donning his cloak and leaving the room, Eligos secures his morning star and dagger into their loops on his belt.

As he approaches the door, he remembers the ring. Fishing it out of his pocket, he looks at it a bit more closely. The opal glints in a multitude of iridescent colors in the stove light. He can feel the power within it and following a spur of the moment urge, squeezes his eyes shut and slips in onto his finger.

Eligos slowly opens one eye and then the other. Realizing that he is indeed not dead, paralyzed, or transported to another realm, he breathes a sigh of relief. At least nothing bad happened, I'll have to have someone take a look at this and see what it really does. In the meantime, I suppose it won't hurt to wear it. With that thought, he heads down the stairs of the inn, bids farewell to Caidiana, bundles his cloak tightly around himself and heads out the door for The Three Pearls.

Arriving at the nightclub, Eligos enters through the staff entrance. Since it's still late-afternoon, the place is still mostly dark. The cleaning staff can be heard moving about in some part of the building, but Eligos can't quite determine exactly where they might be at the moment. He swiftly walks to the main office and leaves a message on one of his sheets of paper with the chalk stating that an extremely important engagement has come up for the evening and unfortunately he won't be able to perform. He then leaves the establishment by the way that he came and heads on the long trek to The Underdark.

(Route taken: Slut Street to The Way of the Dragon, Way of the Dragon to Telshambra's Street, Telshambra's Street to The High Road and from there to The Underdark)

“Hey, closing so soon?” says Quintilas as he comes up besides Essimuth, “I figure I gave ya a hand for the remainder of the day since poor Marcus injury turned out to be worst than either of us thought. Lets get inside an I’ll fill ya in, besides, member I left my things inside.” Here he gestures with his hands, moving them up and down his body pointing out the lack of proper outwear.

“Besides todays suppose to be a BIG money day fer ya from what you said earlier, I’m figuring it wouldn’t hurt to have an extra swordarm about to help keep things in order” he adds with a broad grin, figuring Essimuth wouldn’t want to lose a profitable day of business.

“Anyhow it’ll helps to keep me outta trouble till my meeting at the Underdark.., tonight!” the last part which he intentional let hang out there to get Essimuth attention knowing the veteran adventure would remember the news he gave Quintilas earlier this morning.

It also give Dagan time to track me down here or at the Safehaven Inn afterwards he thinks knowing that Dagan is quite aware of his usual hangouts, and the Safehaven Inn is where the pair meet often times than not.

Maintain! Maintain, man! Must maintain!!!!!

Darius clears his throat and swallows hard before looking up at Annabelle with a smile on his face. "Of course meat pies aren't all I want, Annabelle my dear," Darius replies to the barmaid. "But, alas, what one wants, and what one can attain are often two different things. I have time at the moment for either meat pies or you, and, as I have already been hired again, and must away this very evening, nourishment takes place over.. er.. other interests."

He sips some of his porter before continuing. "I am truly sorry that this is the case, but it is. At least I can look at you while having what very well could be my last meal. Why else do you think I cam here tonight to dine?"

Toldin Start........

The year is 1375 DR. It is the beginning of the Spring Season here in Waterdeep. The Dock District is beginning to bustle again as well as the trade folk in Caravan Court seem to have appeared overnight. There is a slight rain outside and Waterdeep is beginning to see the light of day this early morning. Seems as if the City has fared yet another long winter.

You are awakened in your room on the Second Floor of the Underdark Inn with a bang on your door.

As you stumble to get to the door you notice by walking past the windows the day is starting to leave the City of Waterdeep and the Night is fast on its way to settleing in.

Opening the door you recognize the pudgy little dwarf.

He barges in your room and addresses you, “Soz Toldin…… You sleepin all day????”

Bellrose Irongullet is Thor Irongullets little brother. Bellrose looks to you and says, “Well Toldin ……… youz needed shortly. My brotherz Thor is off for now. Getting some business done me thinks. He gave me orders to given to youz. So you best get your stuff done as I talkz.”

Bellrose continues, “Youz seez he needin ya for 2 things tonights. First ----- you needs to stand door duty shortly. Orders are no tallies allowed in tonights. Just dwarves ---- but ---- put dist ta yaz memory ----- therz goins to be a few otherz on da way. When dey all arrive den and only den can ya letz em in, Names are herin on dis sheetz of paperz.”

He throws the rolled up parchment on your bed.

“Somen will insist on chats with barkeep but ----- plans change sometimes. If dey give ya hard time ---- you figure out hows to deal wit it. All needs to be here before ya continues… Ohhh ya forgots ---- when dey all gets here – youz too needs to come to banquet room!!!!! Another bouncer take yor place…”

“Now ya gots 15 minutes ta getz outside n takez yoz position!!!!”

After those statements Bellrose starts to walk to the door.

Kurith……

Irenda looks to the dwarf and says, “Oken Thor --- our part done --- now your part???”

Thor looks back and hollers, “Triskadaelion an Dauverege!!!!!!!" Everyone in the place turns to see 2 of the most ugly dwarves enter the bar. “Der ya go Irenda --- loan till ya gets Kurith back.”

Thor then looks to Kurith and states, “ Ok lady --- lets be on da way… 1st oart of payment be done in da inn. Next part taken care of latter tonightz!”

Eligos…….

As you enter Slut Street you feel the chill in the air begin to get colder. Night is pressing in and the confounded rain has yet to let up at all. Not a whole lot is going on in the street except for 2 children playing outside in the puddles. One just happened to look over her shoulder and take notice of you. She turns back to the other and says, “Look!” pointing in your direction……

Quintilas….

Eissumth looks to you and stats, “Lunch time me friend!. Cares to join me?”

Eissmuth hearing, "Anyhow it’ll helps to keep me outta trouble till my meeting at the Underdark.., tonight!" perks up and gives a wry smile…..

Darius…..

Annabelle looks to you and says, “Heh ------- your loss.” As she turns and slowly walks away he hand slowly runs down the backside of her leg and she flips up the back of her dress showing you a little peek of her cheek. She makes a quick glance back, shoots you a smile and states, “Your Loss!!!”

As you sit back in the chair and ponder the situation about 10 minuets later a waitress brings a tray back to Annabelle. Anabelle then starts to walk your way again….

When she gets to you she says, “Here’s your meat pie Darius…. Now when ya gets back in town you need to come see me..” She slides you a quick wink and smile turns and heads back to the bar.

<Waiting on responses: Vinny / Rocky>

<Post 81 edited to reflect right time sequence>

Kurith rises, finishes her drink, and says to the dwarf, "I gotta get some things in my room. Don't go nowhere."

Once upstairs in her room, Kurith tries to make herelf more presentable to her potential employer. First, she checks herself in the small mirror on the wall. The blacked eye has only gotten blacker but the hangover is completely gone. She pours some water from the cracked bowl that she calls the washbasin into the empty porter glass, gargles with it, and then spits it into the chamberpot Then she laboriously washes her face and hands. First impressions are important, even for the sorts of work that are offered to half-orcs and the like. As she dries her hands off on the window curtain, she contemplates the odds that the dwarfs will offer her something better than bouncing rowdies from a two-copper cathouse. 'I could be bouncin' rowdies outta a fine dwarven alehouse.', she thinks to herself as she pulls back the curtain, raises the window sash and tosses the contents of the half-full chamberpot toward the wall of the building across the filth-strewn alley.

Next, Kurith gathers her usual armament of daggers, shortsword and sap. This time, however, she takes her greataxe. Though it is not her preferred weapon for dealing with unexpected trouble in the confines of a tavern, she does not want to chance the odds that trouble might arise on the street before she even reaches the Underdark.

After checking to be sure the door is bolted tight, she quietly pulls her bed away from the wall and retrieves a small pouch of money from a slit in the feather mattress. From that she takes a few gold coins so she might further impress the dwarves into believing that she is neither poor nor in such dire need of money that she will do anything unconditionally to earn her wages.

Satisfied that she is suitably equipped, she closes the window, draws the curtain, quietly eases the bed back to its usual location, selects the least tattered of her two cloaks from the wardrobe, closes her room door behind her and casually makes her way back downstairs.

"Well... I ain't got all my life for waitin', Stunty!"

“You bet’cha, just let me get my cloak from inside before I’m soaked to the bone. So where was ya thinking the best place to eat on such a fine afternoon as this?” he adds with a chuckle.

“Well, lets see, there’s Tymora’s Blessing (AQ20), The Beer Golem (AQ16), The Safehaven Inn (AQ14), the Midnight Sun Tavern (S9)” he says aloud recalling the few names that come to mind in the general area as he waits for Essimuth to unlock the shop so he can retrieve his cloak. “Or if ya up for the walk we could see what’s a happening at the House of Good Spirits (S3) or did ya have some other place in mind?” he exclaims with a raised eyebrow

Edited by Lorderl

Toldin watched Bellrose close the door behind him. He picked up the parchment and looked over the names. "Bah!" He thought, "Not a Dwarven name among them". Could one of them be Elfen? He hoped not. The last time after he had waited on Elfen patrons, he had a cold for a week. He glanced out his window at the greying sky turning to dark. He could already see one or two subborn stars pushing their way out through the twilight.

Toldin was thankfull for that window. Every night he would lie in his bed and watch the stars, and feel like he had made the right decision. The Ironguts were distant cousins of the Ironheel clan. They were distant enough that they really had lost contact with the dwarves of the SwordMountains, but still close enough to recognise a common ancestor. That and the fact that they were odd City dwarves really made this the perfect place to hide out.

Toldin dressed rapidly in the flickering oily lamplight. A light rain was beginnin to hit the window, so Toldin threw on a light wool undertunic, with a thicker oiled canvas overtunic. He grabbed his "bouncing club", a old iron hammer given to him by his cousin Thor. Down the handle in nickel-steel it bore the Dwarven runes "The Last Word".

On a perch relflecting in the lamplight, sat his clock-work owl, Toldins greatest metalwork. As Toldin went around the room getting ready, the owl stared at him with two wide white eyes, made out of pearls. It rocked back and forth on its mechanical leggs and occasionaly fluffed its mytril feathers.

"You stay in here tonight, Noctua". Said Toldin. Mechanical eyelids clicked down over its pearl eyes at its name. Toldin didnt know if the machine he had created was really intelligent or not. It acted like an Owl, and seemed to move of its own volition. It even would beg for bits of bread, though it had no stomach to put it in. It did seem to enjoy making the crumbs.

Toldin took the book on clockwork-magics off his bed and pressed the secret catch on the side of his dresser. A small drawer popped out, and Toldin hid the book inside with a "click". He tucked the scroll of names Bellrose had given him in his belt. Pulling on his oil-skin cloak, and his newly shined boots, he brushed out his short beard and left. He locked the door behind him. "Noctua should be safe", he thought. The clockwork creature didnt like others, and often would hide in the rafters if he had a guest in his room.

Toldin stomped down the stairs through the Inn. It was a Wednesday night, and the Inn was closed. Already he could hear the early drinkers starting up from the Tavern underneath. Thats where all the other staff would be. Tonight he sat bouncer for his cousin Thor. He preferred the job of Door Bouncer where he could sit outside and watch the stars. It sure beat continuously hauling casks and bottles from the winecellar over to the tavern. "You could probably put a tunnel between the two", thought Toldin, "they are on the same level". Thinking in only the way a Dwarf can about excavation, tunneling, and bracing, he grabed a stool from behind the bar and slipped out through the front.

Waterdeep, City of Splendors. Toldin walked down the short stone steps of the Inn's foundation. To his left another stairway led down to the Tavern itself. The Underdark Tavern was a favorite among dwarves in the city. Its success had lead the Irongutts and their partners to buy the house above it and start the Inn. The Tavern, however, was still the bread and butter of the two, and even had its own entry in the famous "Volo's Guidebook".

Toldin sat his stool down on the flagstone walk next to the steps. He looked up and down The High Road. In each direction the well cobbled street was lined with two to three story Tudor style shops and storefronts. Several cityfolk were walking up and down the walks on each side, and many of the daytime only shops were closing down. Across the road, "The Swords Rest", a human favoring bar for warrior mercenaries, was also opening up. Their bouncer looked across the cobbles and gave almost an inperceptible nod of greeting. Toldin looked the human in the eye and lifted his chin slightly in response. It was a well worn ritual.

Almost with that gesture, the light drizzle began to pick up. Not enough to turn into full rain and clean the horse offal out of the gutters, but that fine mist that guaranteed a long wet night. Toldin pulled his cloak hood up over his head, and began to wait for the stars to come out.