Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

"You there! Elf!" Vargos repeats in a shout. "Stand fast or I shall be forced to use violence. I say again, in Helm's name, Halt!"

What could this fellow be trying to hide. By Helm, he acts quite shady...

Vargos's hand clutches the hilt of Glare and he draws it a bit, ready to unsheathe it completely if he should need to.

Eligos…….

As you enter Slut Street you feel the chill in the air begin to get colder. Night is pressing in and the confounded rain has yet to let up at all. Not a whole lot is going on in the street except for 2 children playing outside in the puddles. One just happened to look over her shoulder and take notice of you. She turns back to the other and says, “Look!” pointing in your direction……

With a quick nod and smile in the direction of the children, Eligos causes a series of rainbows to jump from one puddle to the next, continuing a little ways down the street; hopefully drawing their attention away from him. While they are distracted, he pulls his cloak tighter around his face and moves hurriedly away on his trek to the Underdark.

Vargos…..

The elf either ignoring your questions or not hearing it rounds the corner….

Totally drawn by the elf you did not happen to notice the door begin to open to Medusas Glare.

As you are standing there you are starteled by a gruff feminine voice, “Mayyyy I assissst youuuuu?”

Quintilas…..

Essimuth says, “How bouts Midnight Sun Tavern. Just a short walk to the north is all.”

After a short walk to the north you make it to the tavern. Once inside you both make it to a table that is unoccupied. Tavern is kind of dingy with 12 tables and a very small bar.

Once you take a seat and get situated this young bubbly waitress comes up to your table. She states, “What can I get you two this afternoon? We have just got a shipment of mead in from Baulders Gate.”

She states immediately afterwards, “Lunch special for the day is sealegs stew, crab pie, or cooked cockatrice. Any questions?”

Essimuth says, “We take 2 meads for now and give us a moment.”

As she walks away Essimuth looks to you and says, “Ahh so ya have to go to da Unederdark. Old Thor’s place. Heh wondern what hes up to these days.”

Eligos……

The children immediately begin to follow the rainbows laughing all the while. You get a slight chuckle out of the spectacle you caused as well.

As they are chasing the rainbows you move as quietly as possible so as not to disturb this new little game for the children.

You now enter The Way of the Dragon. Looking west you see the old familiar place The Thirsty Throat. Looking north and south there is only slight pedestrian traffic about.

<Later on that afternoon> <***Updated***>

Kurith…..

After you get back downstairs you see “Stunty” and the other 2 dwarves Triskadaelion and Dauverege standing at the bar talking with Irenda.

As you approach, ‘stunty’ walks up to you and say’s “All rights --- we off!” He turns back to Irenda and the 2 dwarves and say’s, “Youz get Kurith back shortly…..”

You then begin to follow the little gruff dwarf outside and down the street. You can feel the chill of the air in the late afternoon. He says to you, “Bettern get movin ----- we be safer at da inn for now….”

Walking East down Belinimbra’s Street not a whole lot of action is going on. Just a load of rain and now the start of flashes of thunder. A short while later you start to head south on a short alleyway before heading back east again on Shesrtra’s Street. You bisect Snail Street and continue on till you hit Book Street. Still not a whole lot of action going on except this tiny dwarf must really want to make his destination in a hurry. Making a quick southerly turn on Brook Street you then make another eastward turn on that same alleyway Shesrtra’s Street until you hit The Way of the Dragon (total walk time about 30-45 mins).

On this main thoroughfare you notice the dwarf finally starts to slow down. He starts to walk caddycorner (Southeast) to a small alleyway called Telshambra’s Street. This is when he actually begins speaking to you. As you follow behind you hear him say, “Me names Thor Irongullet. Just call me Thor. I own The Underdark Tavern. Thank Moradin that we mades it out with out incidents. I hates da docks. First lets make a quick stop in the Inn beforn we mossy on down to da tavern. We’s safes here. So’s evern been ta dis part of town?”

<That Night>

Toldin…..

As you start to get everything situated outside you feel the cold dampness of evening coming on strong. To the south you see the lamplighter guild starting to light the lamps on both sides of the streets.

Sitting out in the rain for about 30 minuets it begins to get worse. Seems as if a nice ‘spring storm system’ has decided to pound Waterdeep this night and you are one of the lucky ones to be stuck outside as the lightning flashes and the thunder rumbles. By chance you take a quick glance across the street and notice the bouncer for The Swords Rest has ventured inside of the tavern.

As the rain continues to pour outside you see a small statue of a being walking down the street. You recognize the human when he gets closer. By human standards he is very short but by dwarf standards he would be to the tall side. Axal says, “Heyas Toldin…. Whats happenin tonights in the tavern?” as he begins to make his way to the door.

Waiting on responses....

Dagan....

Darius....

Realizing that despite the weather and the long trek, he is going to arrive at the Underdark well before evening turns to night, Eligos decides that it would be in his best interest to stop for a brief respite at The Thirsty Throat. Besides, it would be nice to sit down for a few minutes by the fire and warm up before continuing on in this infernal rain.

He shakes off what moisture he can under the Throat's awning before entering. As he makes his entrance, he selects a quiet table near the fire and signals for the waitress.

Quintilas looks over the establishment as he takes a seat across from Essimuth, he simply nods his agreement when Essimuth order just the two meads for them, then the young bubbly waitress leaves to retrieve there drinks.

Quintilas takes in the battle-scarred man sitting across from him for a moment. He wears a cap to cover his bald head and the rest of his clothes are typical linen shirt and leather breeches. The retired veteran has a scruffy gray beard that covers most of his facial scars save the long scar from chin to brow that runs under the eye patch over his right eye. Sometimes Essimuth has been mistaken for a dwarf due to his height (and demeanor), luckily the waitress here at the Midnight Sun is quite accustomed to him and knows when not to intrude on his personal space.

Its far to bad Essimuth is no longer an active adventure, well not in the traditional sense anyways as there sure are many going ons within the city that escape a commoners eye, but not that of Essimuth. with that thought the young half-elf recalls something that Essimuth stated earlier in the morning “Therin seemz ta be a lil gathering of some interestin folk.”, why hadn’t he picked up on it earlier, ole Essimuth knows something, perhaps after a couple meads he loosen up a bit and shares it with me. There sure is much I could learn from someone with Essimuth experience. he thinks as he looks on at the man across from him. It’s been a strange day to say the least and there’s still yet this meeting at the Underdark this evening to follow up on.

“Ahh so ya have to go to da Underdark. Old Thor’s place. Heh, wondern what he’s up to these days.”

yep he might knows something, guess he was choosing his own time and place where he might divulge it.

“I was just thinking on that very same thing there, I’ve heard of the place but can’t say I’ve been there before.”…, “old Thor huh?” he adds “he a friend of yours, or perhaps ya be recalling when ye both be plunderin some old ruins back in da day?” Quintilas always found Essimuth dialect interesting and always finds himself many times using it when in Essimuth company, though its out of habit from being around the ole scallywag.

Toldin…..

As you start to get everything situated outside you feel the cold dampness of evening coming on strong. To the south you see the lamplighter guild starting to light the lamps on both sides of the streets.

Sitting out in the rain for about 30 minuets it begins to get worse. Seems as if a nice ‘spring storm system’ has decided to pound Waterdeep this night and you are one of the lucky ones to be stuck outside as the lightning flashes and the thunder rumbles. By chance you take a quick glance across the street and notice the bouncer for The Swords Rest has ventured inside of the tavern.

As the rain continues to pour outside you see a small statue of a being walking down the street. You recognize the human when he gets closer. By human standards he is very short but by dwarf standards he would be to the tall side. Axal says, “Heyas Toldin…. Whats happenin tonights in the tavern?” as he begins to make his way to the door.

Toldin sat on his stooll with his black oliskin cloak wrapped tighly around him. Knees, arms and beard were safely tucked inside. All that was visible was his face and the legs of the stool poaking out from under his cloak. This gave the affect of Toldin appearing like some kind of floating Dwarven Wraith. Or, a floating Dwarven Seaweed Roll, like they served in the dockside.

. Rain coursed off his oilskin cloak in little rivers that pooled around his stool legs, across the sidewalk, and down the newly formed mini river in the gutter. Toldin was almost allways happy with his decision to move out of the Underground Caverns of his birth. This, however, was not one of them. He listend with Envy at the sounds of the drinking and courrousing comming up from the Underdark Tavern.

"Evening Axal", says Toldin, "better get in out of the rain". He watched Axal run down the steps and under the overhang infront of the doorway. As Axal shook off the rain Toldin called down. "Horrible night for it. Any chance you could bring me up a covered tankard of hot mead?"

Walking through the winding streets that lead to The Underdark, Kurith does not offer much in the way of conversation, preferring to keep her attention focused on the various alleyways and doorways from which potential trouble might come. She deliberately lets the dwarf lead, though she knows the neighborhood of Shesrtra’s Street like the back of her hand. She draws the hood of her cloak over her head as though to keep out the rain, but moreso to avoid being noticed by anybody from her recent past. Once beyond Book Street, she seems a bit more at ease, though she remains watchful.

The fact that the dwarf also has assumed a more casual pace does not escape Kurith's attention. She begins to wonder to herself if she and he had some mutual enemies.

“Me names Thor Irongullet. Just call me Thor. I own The Underdark Tavern. Thank Moradin that we mades it out with out incidents. I hates da docks. First lets make a quick stop in the Inn beforn we mossy on down to da tavern. We’s safes here. So’s evern been ta dis part of town?”

"Once or twice.", she replies as they reach The Way Of The Dragon. "I like the Docks", she added with a slight laugh.

In truth, she was happy where she lived. It was the sort of freedom few people seemed to understand. In the Wilds where she came from, each member of the small nomadic tribe was in some part responsible for the community as a whole. Personal disagreements and petty dislikes were something one was expected to keep to one's self lest the conflict weakened the tribe, however such schisms continued to exist. There was an unspoken caste system by which everybody lived. One's life-path was decided almost at birth based on one's breeding, and marriages were all arranged in a way that would most benefit the tribe. Kurith did not like belonging to a tribe. She did not like belonging to anybody. On the Docks, she had nobody depending on her but herself. Except for Irenda, she did not feel she owed anybody anything. She could spend her money however she wanted, and seldom did anybody tell her she had had one tankard too many.

As she follows the dwarf south along the thoroughfare, she tries not to let herself be distracted by the rows of narrow townhouses with their brightly painted shutters or the storefronts with their gilded signs above their doors. From one particular shop there comes an almost overwhealming sweet aroma. Through the shop's large window, she can see shelves full of loaves of bread and pies. Still, she cannot help but to worry about Irenda. The dream had seemed so real, and in spite of how annoying the simple-minded creature could be, she had taken Kurith in and helped her find a more honest source of living rousting drunks at The Corner.

"Howzit you know Irenda?", Kurith asks, having been unable to recall ever seeing a dwarf that looked like him hanging around the Corner.

"What?! What in Helm's name???" Vargos shouts as he spins to face this new voice.

"What... who are you?" he says, hand clutching the hilt of his blade. "Speak!"

Darius…..

Annabelle looks to you and says, “Heh ------- your loss.” As she turns and slowly walks away he hand slowly runs down the backside of her leg and she flips up the back of her dress showing you a little peek of her cheek. She makes a quick glance back, shoots you a smile and states, “Your Loss!!!”

As you sit back in the chair and ponder the situation about 10 minuets later a waitress brings a tray back to Annabelle. Anabelle then starts to walk your way again….

When she gets to you she says, “Here’s your meat pie Darius…. Now when ya gets back in town you need to come see me..” She slides you a quick wink and smile turns and heads back to the bar.

"It will be done, dear lady," Darius replies with a smile and a wink of his own before tucking in to his supper. The pies are, as always, wonderful. He takes his time with them, for if his suspicions are correct, this may very well be his last meal, and he wants to savor it.

He finishes eating after about a half hour, leaves enough coin to cover the meal and a nice tip for Annabelle, and walks out the door. As his feet take him down the familiar streets, he wonders for a moment if he has been foolish, following the mysterious letter written in Dwarvish. Shrugging mentally, he thinks, Well, it certainly won't be the first time, nor, hopefully, the last. He laughs at this, and heads for that most famous of taverns, the Underdark.

Eligos……

As you take your seat a chubby dwarf comes up to take your order. He looks to you and says, “So’z ------ Eligos right?.?.?.?.?. I thinks I catchedz yourz showz beforez….. Whatz can I getz ya this ugly evenings???? Mead, Porter, Stout, Ale, or sumting wit more of da stingz?”

Quintilas….

Eissmuth looks at you and states, “Heh… Thor be wishin…. When we be out adventuring Thor be running his own adventures getting his establishment up and runnin… Him and his brother done pretty good here in Waterdeep. Been here long before I. howevers on occasion I got to deal with him. Interesting dwarf to say da least.”

Both of you look up and notice the barmaid is coming back over with 2 meads.

When she gets to your table she asks, “So what’ll it be there gents???? Salegs stew, crab pie, or cooked cockatrice????”

Eissmuth looks to her and says, “I’ll takes de sea leags ta match mine back in da days.”

She looks to Quintilas and asks the same question.

Toldin…..

After Axel makes it inside you take your watchful eye out into the evening street. You can see by the light of the lamps that tonight is going to be quite slow. The weather is keeping a lot of the inhabitants inside this very ugly evening.

About 10 minutes pass and you hear the door close and you look down the steps. Old Bellrose starts to walk back up the steps. By the look on his face you know something is wrong.

Bellrose looks to you and says, “Ya didn’t remember!?!?!?!?!?!?!? NO TALLIES TONIGHTS ------- youz luckys Axel looks like one o us….. Now remembers noone tallies comes in unless its on da paperzzz?!?!?!?!?”

The gruff dwarf turns around and stomps back down the steps opens the door and slams it behind him….

Kurith…..

"Howzit you know Irenda?", Kurith asks, having been unable to recall ever seeing a dwarf that looked like him hanging around the Corner.

As you continue on your way to the Tavern / Inn Thor states, “We’s go far backs long ago. Us non humans had ta stick tagethers back in da earlier years.” As you walk he continues his story at how he and Irenda met up until you finally reach The Underdark. The only interesting thing is that he helped Irenda out to get her establishment in operation. They are not so good friends however on the business side of things they understand each others needs when it’s convenient for either party. Thor walks into the inn part of the house and says, “OK folla me please…”

You enter The Underdark Inn and make your way to an office type of room off of the main hallway.

Thor talls you,” Take a seat…..” and he takes a seat behind his desk. As you take your seat and get situated he states, “Okies now ya prolly wants to know whats goin on eh??? Well we have to wait for a few more hours since I only gonna go over this ‘issue’ 1 time. I can tellz ya you not alone in this lil ‘quest’. But first things first ---- I see ya have an Great Axe der…. May I seez it???”

Vargos….

The gruff feminine voice says, “Name is Cailyassa Gladomain…. Owner of this here shop and please if you may …… don’t scare away the customers please….”

As you look at her she seems very old and feeble by appearance and the way she moves…

She continues, “Aye ---- business not been too good lately… Hopefully it’ll pick up soon… By chance you be needing anything????”

Darius…..

As you exit The Unicorns Horn its about 7:45. You continue on your way the rain pelts you from every which way. What a dark and dreary night it sure is utterly nasty. As you continue your journey down the street south from High Street to head east on Waterdeep Way. You then make another turn south on The High Road again.

As you start to head south you notice a group forming at one of the lanterns around a few lamplighters.

Kurith removes her rainsoaked cloak and hangs it across the back of the chair provided. Before seating herself, she unslings her axe and carefully leans it against the back of the chair, head-down and within reach.

Thor talls you,” Take a seat…..” and he takes a seat behind his desk. As you take your seat and get situated he states, “Okies now ya prolly wants to know whats goin on eh??? Well we have to wait for a few more hours since I only gonna go over this ‘issue’ 1 time. I can tellz ya you not alone in this lil ‘quest’. But first things first ---- I see ya have an Great Axe der…. May I seez it???”

Kurith sighs impatiently. "You shure seemed a-hurry to get here..an' now you wanna wait?" She pauses a moment as she mentally restrains the urge to show the dwarf a bit more of her axe than he might be expecting.

"You can see it, but you ain't takin' it from me.", she warns Thor. She stands and lays the greataxe upon his desk but does not relinquish her grip upon its handle. "I call it Betaghigh-Rakh", she tells him, speaking the weapon's name as though summoning its magical properties. She looks down at the dwarf and smiles widely at him, displaying a mouthful of pointy teeth.

Still with her hand on the axe, she sits down. Not looking particularly forward to another three hours of small talk and chitchat, she decides to make the most of it.

"You shure got a long beard. How you make your water without gettin' it all wet?"

Quintilas relaxes a moment as he takes his first quaff of the mead while Essimuth places his order.

She looks to Quintilas and asks the same question.

“AH.., needed that” he says after wiping his mouth with the side of his hand before addressing the waitress

“Think I’ll give the cooked cockatrice a try since I already have plans for some pie later today” he says with a grin, then quaffs down another mouthful of mead as the waitress walks off.

“youz be welcome to join me laterz if ya like, havin an assortment of delectable pies baked by Dundold Buldharroaz himself, they’re been schedule to be delivered laterz tonight at Helm’s Hall. I’d be needin to let’em know of Marcus condition as well. We can go after ya close up shop laterz, if ya interested. I’ma not planning to be thar long as I’m hopin Dagan will turn up at the Safehaven Inn and save me the trouble of looking for’em at his usual hangouts as there won’t be much time if I wanna make da meetin on time.”

Leaning back in his chair with his mug of mead in hand he continues “speaking of the boy, let me fill ya in on his condition” he states as he raises his mug once more before telling Essimuth the details of Marcus’s condition.

Gatherings on the street are no strange sight in a city such as Waterdeep, even after dark, and Darius' first reaction to the crowd before him is to just ignore them. However, curiosity gets the better of him as he passes by, and, after all, he still has plenty of time before his appointed meeting.

Oh, well, why not, he thinks as he turns and approaches the group. "Evening folks, what's the news? Anything happening around here that a traveler should be aware of?"

What a hag...

Of course, Vargos couldn't say such a thing out loud, and he took to feeling sympathy for this venerable being...

"Ummm... my apologies, dear lady. I was... investigating a suspicious being."

He looks down the street, hopping she would too, to the elf, but realize he's disappeared around the corner. Vargos turns back to the old lady.

"No... not today. Uhhh... what is it exactly that you offer?" he asks.

Eligos smiles at the stout barkeep, "Always a pleasure to meet a fan," he replies graciously. "At least I hope that you enjoyed the show."

"As for the drink," he continues, "better bring me a couple of the 'something with more of the sting! I've been stuck out in this miserable weather all day running from one side of town to the other and back again. Need something to put a bit o' fire in the ole belly!"