Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rylek

City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Recommended Posts

More waiting, it figures Eligos thinks with a sigh. He scrunches back under the ledge still huddled in his cloak.

 

When the dwarf asks him if he's an elf, he shakes his head to the negative and pulls back the hood of his cloak slightly to let the dwarf get a look at his appearance. "I don't think that one of that fair race would take kindly to you referring to me as one of their kind. I'm what people refer to as a tiefling. A freak of nature and magic that is not really meant to be. But, as I'm here, I try to make the best of it that I can. How long do you suppose this wait is going to be? I'm really quite ready to be done with this weather for the time being."

 

 

[Knowledge History Roll = 12 + 8 levels = 20]

 

Toldin seached his memory for the name Tiefling back through the reams of books he had read in the Royal Library. He remembered some story about the secret ruling council of Elven Witches whom would summon deamons and sacrafice Dwarven Babies to them. Then the Elves would mate with the Demons and have villinous offspring.

 

"What have you gotten yourself into Lad?", Thought Toldin to himself. However this creature spoke of Elves as they were a seperate race. He looked part Human. But then, who could tell? Perhaps one of those Elven Witches lost control of their Deamon and it went off and terrorized the Human Lands. Such Elven Arrogance. Now look at what happened. All too much of a shame.

 

"So, yer not Elven born then?" Nodded Toldin in the rain. "Whatever your ills, at least ye have that going for you. Dont rightly know when Bellrose and Thor will be done with their business inside, but yer to wait for the others here."

 

Lightning crashed again. The rain showed no sign of stopping. The small river in the gutter now had become a turbulent stream, taking up half of the sidewalk, and a good portion of the cobbled streets.

 

Toldin looked back at the huddled figure next to him trying to stay both hidden and dry at the same time. It looked like a long night ahead. Might as well use some of the diplomatic skills he picked up at Court.

 

"So.. er... Ye new to Waterdeep?", asked Toldin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Actually, both of my parents are human. No one really knows why I am the way that I am," Eligos replies amiably. "I've been here in Waterdeep for sometime now actually, have a nice little gig at the Three Pearls. How about yourself? Have you been in the city long? You have a non-local air about yourself as well." He scrunches back into the nook a bit more to avoid the steadily flowing stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"His mother was probably raped by one of those Elf-deamons", though Toldin. "But didnt want to tell his father about that. Not that I blame her, that kind of shame and all. Still I should probably drop the subject. Humans can be pretty touchy about personal items, even more so than dwarves."

 

Toldin wondered what time it was. He couldnt hear the Watchtower Bells with this storm going on.

 

"Im er, Cosuins, with the Dwarves here, but im acutally from up north, in the Sword Mountains. Ive been in the City just briefly, only about three years. I know thats a long time to you humans, but its like I just arrived. Still nice to meet new people and its certainly differen than life Under the Mounain. So what do you do down at the Three Pearls? Isnt that a Inn near the docks?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"More of a night club actually," Eligos says in response. "I'm what you could consider part of the entertainment there. I do a little magic show for the customers each night, real basic stuff really, but they seem to like it." He leans back into the wall more comfortably resigning himself to the fact that he's going to be stuck here for a while. "You're definitely in the right place to meet new people. Listen, I haven't been told much at all about the reason that I've been sent for. Could you enlighten me a bit on what might be going on here? It would sure ease my mind a bit to have just a bit of a hint."

 

Eligos continues to eye the street (what he can see of it through the downpour) for any sign that this is all an elaborate trap set up by the relentless Red Wizards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<Posting for Dagan>

 

Waiting (for about 1 minute) for what seems an eternity the silhouette never reappears

 

Not wanting to see what else is going to unfold Dagan proceeds down the alleway towards Ogre at a sprint.

 

Coming up on Ogre position he states, "Ogre follow!!!!" and runs by him.

 

He continues on his way out to then end of the Street of Curting continuing on his way towards The Underdark....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vargos…..

 

The old lady looks to you and replies, “Ahhh I see …….. you are after healing potions I take it??? Well, lets have look around the shop ---- I’ll show you what I got.”

 

Looking around the store you notice there is really no as semblance of order to anything really. Sort of a cluttered mess. However she takes you tyo a back corner of the story. She points to the floor to 3 boxes of very ‘dusty bottles”. She states, “Here they are … 3 different types each ranging in different prices. Box 1 would be 10gp / bottle (There are approximately 24 / case) Box 2 would be 300 / bottle (There are approximately 24 / case) and Box 3 would be 750gp / bottle (There are approximately 24 / case). Which ones may I interest you in this afternoon kind knight…”

 

 

Eligos and Toldin……

 

As you converse you notice the rain is picking up and the visibility is slowing decreasing. From your perspective the Inn up the street is barely visible due to the evening and rain.

 

 

Kurith…..

 

Thor looks to you and say’s ,”Ahh I see….. Me thinks Bellrose be back momentarily….”

 

You and Thor continue in decent conversation for the next 15 minutes or so. You learn very little about the events that are going to take place later on this evening however you did find out a little history of the brothers.

 

After 15 minutes the door opens and Bellrose is standing in front of you with an axe. He states, “ Soo’z Kurith here be the first part o yer payment… its dwarven made and bettr’n then what ya carry fer now. This be yer first payment fer the deeds abouts ta take place latern…”

 

Thor responds looking toBellrose, “Ahh Bellrose good’n idea der me brothern….” He then looks to you and states, “Kurith’s we make it even trades fer now… Me thinks I knows the dealer of dis weapons and …..” [in the middle of the sentence his voice slowly descends in volume and goes into thought for a minute or two.]

 

Bellrose walks over to you and hands you the weapon.

 

 

Quintilas….

 

When both of you finish lunch Eissmuth looks to you and asks, “So ye wanna stay here for another round or what? Don’t be thinking I make much money taday... due to Marcus an alldat happened??”

 

 

Darius….

 

The robed man hurridly makes his way to the front of. He states again, “It’ll be 1 silver donation per person for escort to the south. I don’t think you can hear quite well. These streets CAN be dangerous for people from time to time…….” As he shouted this last part you notice that the other 5 members of the guard are starting to close in on you. The robed individual states, “I don’t think we have a problem do we!?!?!?!?!?!?!”

 

 

Dagan….

 

Dagan made it to The Way of the Dragon. By luck Ogre must have had enough to drink because he thinks this is a game and is in the process of chasing Dagan down the street. In a flash Dagan makes his way north not bothering to look around for anything suspicious anymore. The events that just happened makes him realize the warnings The dwarves game him earlier this morning.

 

Dagan makes a quick right onto Teleshambras Street and then makes an immediate turn north on The High Road and in a flash is standing in front of the Underdark Inn and Tavern.

 

Its close to Midday so there is no one on “door duty”. With a flash Dagan descends the stairs and enters the Underdark Tavern. Opening the door you notice there is only a few patrons of the establishment (5 Dwarves) and a tender behind the bar….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith listens and pretends to be paying attention, though her mind wanders as it often does to other things, mainly the nature of her prospective employment. When passing through the extablishment, she had noticed that almost everybody there was short and bearded. It was not hard for her to imagine Thor recognizing her ability to keep the clientel at The Sailors' Corner in line, but she doubted seriously that any dwarf would ever allow a half-orc to wallop another dwarf, no matter how badly the dwarf was behaving.

 

“ Soo’z Kurith here be the first part o yer payment… its dwarven made and bettr’n then what ya carry fer now. This be yer first payment fer the deeds abouts ta take place latern…”

 

Kurith stares blankly at Bellrose for a moment, still unable to convince herself that this is not all part of some elaborate plan to lure her into a job that any woman of any other race would find distasteful. After all, she finds Bellrose exceptionally unattractive, even for a dwarf.

 

"When you gonna tell me what I gotta do?", she askes again, already contemplating the long walk back to The Sailors' Corner to box Irenda's one pointy ear for ever thinking she would let herself be sold to any man, especially a fat short one like Bellrose.

 

“Kurith’s we make it even trades fer now… Me thinks I knows the dealer of dis weapons and …..”

 

Thor's voice trails off as he enters into another private conversation with himself. Bellrose starts toward her wtih the new axe.

 

"A even trade?", Kurith asks Thor belligerently. "Didd'n he jus' say that axe there was my up-front pay for whatever-it-is I'm s'posed to do?". She stands, feeling her patience is about spent.

 

"I ain't yours yet, an' neither is my axe. If you wanna hire me, you better start tellin' me what the job is. I got a long walk back to the Corner in the rain, so least you could do is tell me straight.. an' maybe buy me a drink, dakheras!"

 

Bellrose holds out the new axe and waits for Kurith to accept it. She looks it over as she waits for Thor's response. It is more ornate than her own and has runes on it which she recognizes as dwarven but whose meanings she knows not. It appears to be similar in size and shape to her own, but the handle is shorter, likely because it was designed to be wielded by somebody almost half Kurith's height. No doubt it had been bought at a great price, something which only worries Kurith more.

 

"Is it a magic axe?", she asks Bellrose with a wide and sarcastic smile. "You mus' be some kinda fine johnny tryin' to buy yerself a hafforc girl with a axe like that'un.", she adds with a laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of visibility obviously making him a bit more wary and uncomfortable, Eligos continues to scrunch himself into the wall and peer into the deepening gloom. He unconsciously edges a couple of paces towards the doorway of the Underdark as well in case flight into the tavern is necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toldin looks at the hunched form oddly. "Ye mean your sitting here out in the rain and you dont know why?". Toldin shook his head and hunkerd down in his cloak. "Some people just have no sense", he thought.

 

"Im out here, cause it pays my board and meals", said Toldin. "Thor and Belrose are good cousins and all, but they are also Dwarves. We dwarves say "If you give your family a discount, how can you charge anyone else full price?". Old Thor is cheapre than most. Its said he can take a gold piece and squeeze it into two platinum. " Toldin nods over to Eligos. "Thats a big compliment to a dwarf".

 

Toldin hoped that someone would take pitty on him and send him up a mug of hot Mulled Mead soon. He closed his eyes and mentally pictured Brundha comming up with who hot steaming mugs in her hands. When he opened his eyes, though, the door to the Underdark was still closed.

 

"So im not so sure about your business here", said Toldin. "Im sure Thor and Bellrose, if they have work for you, will pay you a decent wage for a decent days work. Ill tell you this though, yer not gonna run out of the Underdark with a bucket of gold in each hand. Perhaps they want you for entertainment?"

 

Toldin eyed Eligos carefully. "We had a Halfing in here that used to put on padded armor and we'd toss him around for a bit of fun. That was before.. er.. the accident". Toldin shifted uncomfortably. "But your a bit large for that, and Thor's not big on magic tricks. So, unless you have some sorcery to clean the privvies, not sure what your here for".

 

"All I know is your on the list to go in, which is more than most, but you have to wait until its time". Toldin watched the rain pour down. Once again his un-Dwarven curiosity got a hold of him. "So why Do you think your here?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I was just told that I was needed for a special assignment," Eligos responds. "I was given some incentive to show up and promised good payment, but I'll be honest, my curiosity got the better of me on this one. I'm kind of wishing that it hadn't at this point."

 

Eligos chuckles a bit at the mention of toilet cleaning duties. "I got the impression that I'm needed for more than my entertaining personality and my flawless toilet cleaning skills. I'd assume that someone has a job requiring an individual of my special talents, but we'll just have to see what we'll see, eh?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toldin sighed inwardly. "My Talents indeed". Why did he always have to get the self important ones? It wasnt so bad when he was bartending in the Underdark. Dwarves by their nature kept their problems to themselves. It was only when they got really deep in their cups that they tended to open up. Culturally though, that was all right. Dwarven society was very rigid and strict. You were told your place, and you kept it, without complaint. However even the most stalwart Dwarf buckled under pressure on occasion.

 

A Dwarf was not held responsible for anything done nor said in drunkenness, short of striking a noble (and even then it was overlooked if the noble himself was drunk). Dwarves could sing, cry and complain all in the company of their brethren without any loss of face or social status. It was one of the few outlets afforded to a Dwarf. Still though, a Dwarf could never let himself go like that in front of a non-Dwarf. That was why the Underdark was so important in Waterdeep. Its "Dwarf Only" nights took the place of the ale halls and skald-rooms of home. On those nights it became a great refuge from the world of men.

 

Toldin looked at the crack of light coming up the steps with great longing. He could hear the Underdark swaying with song in the language of Dwarves. It was an old folk song about a tall human with a tiny baby-maker, and his companion, a short dwarf who was overly "gifted". It was probably being sung in Dwarven at Axel's expense. He could close his eyes and see Axel sitting at the table, tankard swaying, mouthing the dwarven words without realizing they were all making fun of him. "Oh well," Shrugged Toldin inwardly. "You want to drink with Dwarves, you can’t be soft".

 

The thought of drink made his stomach growl. The overhang provided very little cover. He was soaked to the skin, and cold, and very, very hungry. In fact he hadn’t eaten since last night. Normally someone would have been kind enough to bring him something by now but the rain had kept everyone inside.

 

"Enough is enough", thought Toldin. He sat up straight on his stool and ignored the rain running down his legs. Closing his eyes again, he let the calm of craftwork reach through him. "Hammer on Iron, Metal and Stone", he chanted softly to himself. The rain drifted out of his consciousness, till he no longer heard it. His rumbling stomach drifted out of consciousness, until he no longer felt it. Then, high above him, on the back side of the tavern he felt a tiny clock work heart beating in time with his own.

 

"Come", he called to his creation.

 

He felt it drop from the rafter and fly out the open window into the rain. Mithril wings beat against storm and wind. Did he feel its.. elation? Did it have feelings? With this quizzical thought his concentration was broken but the spell was already cast. He opened his eyes and held out his cloak-wrapped arm in readiness.

 

The down the street, like a silent, silver, shadow, glided Noctua. She (if it was a she) arced to the right in a long lazy curve. Out through the rain she went, almost all the way to the houses on the other side, and then without noise glided in to land on Toldin's arm. Small mithril claws dug into his cloak. Cold pearl eyes looked up at him, and her small clockwork beak clicked with pleasure. With a flash of mytril feathers, the clockwork owl shook the rain off it itself and onto the two already soaked figures.

 

<I have a mission for you>, Whispered Toldin in Dwarvish. Moving Noctua to his knee, he tore off a bit of the parchmet he was given. Out of a pocket he produced a lead pencil and wrote "Two meat pies, and a hot mug of Mulled mead". He then tied the scrap to Noctua's leg using a thread from his cloak.

 

<I know you hate crowds>, he whispered lovingly, almost like a parent to a child. <But im terribly hungry. Take this note to Brundha>.

 

Noctua turned her head almost completely behind her, staring her cold pearl eyes at Eligos in the corner. Then her head turned around, and she blinked inquisitively.

 

<Don’t you mind him>, whispered Toldin. <Just go deliver your message. Be discrete, and no begging bread.>

 

He watched as Noctua spread her wings and launched herself up into the air and then with another graceful arc, swooped around the street and then down the stairs to the Underdark. Right at the moment of impact, the clockwork owl suddenly tilted sideways and slipped effortlessly through the cracked door and into the tavern.

 

The regulars knew of Noctua, but Toldin didnt like to take her out too much. One, Noctua herself didnt like crowds. Two, it was his creation, and to parade it around like that, well, it was an awful lot like Dwarven bragging.

 

"Hopefully Brundha will notice the importance of sending the owl," thought Toldin "and be quick with my dinner".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
When both of you finish lunch Essimuth looks to you and asks, “Soz.., ye wanna stay here for another round or what? Don’t be thinking I make much money taday, due to Marcus an alldat happened.”

“Well my friend, I says lets head back ta da shop sooz I’d can get what other items I need sooz I’d be prepared fer this evenings rendezvous, you can decide then if ya want me to stick around ta give ya a hand around the shop fer the remainder of de day or not.” He states plainly as he rises and leaves the approiate funds and tip to cover both their meals and drinks.

 

“its on me taday, seeing as its one year to da date that I crossed the threshold into that shop of yours, but don’t be thinking I’d plan on making a habit of it”. he says jokinly with a bit of laughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vargos thinks for a moment and plunks down 40gp for 4 bottles of the cheaper potion.

 

"So, madame..." he ventures as he fishes the money out from his pouch, "Have you ever heard of an Underdark Tavern?"

 

<Gather Info>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again.... Darius thinks to himself as the obvious intimidative thuggery taking place.

 

He puts a hand on his sword quickly and keeps it there as his eyes turn icy, and addresses the robed man. "I would not talk so to a complete stranger, friend. Certainly, these streets can be dangerous from time to time. But before you intimidate a man, you might want to stop and ask yourself if he is one of those that supplies the danger, or one that fears it. I fear no danger, my fine fellow, and never have.

I have been a killer of men since I was thirteen years old, and just because you have me outnumbered six to one at the moment, do not think that you have the upper hand. I drop you, and then the odds are only five to one, and make no mistake, you will be the first to die."

 

He smiles, then. Not his normal, jovial smile, the one he put to use on Annabelle earlier this evening. It is a wolfs wicked grin just before he lunges at the sheep. His hand tightens on the grip of his greatsword, his knees bend slightly as if getting ready for the spring, and, he plunges his other hand swiftly inside his cloak, returning with a silver piece.

 

"But, tonight, I am in a rush, so I will pay your toll, my very good turd, and be on my way." He flips the coin to the robed man, and begins to move away from the thugs, never turning his back to them, or taking his hand off his sword, until they are out of sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurith…..

 

"Is it a magic axe?", she asks Bellrose with a wide and sarcastic smile. "You mus' be some kinda fine johnny tryin' to buy yerself a hafforc girl with a axe like that'un.", she adds with a laugh

Bellrose looks at you and starts to chuckle to himself. He looks to Thor and says, “Got yerself a feisty one eh bruddah??”

 

Thor begins to laugh as well.

 

Bellrose takes over the conversation again and states, “Well Kurith ----- let me seez ---- name in common ------- great ice. We’z cums across dis long agoz.”

 

Thor interjects, “So part one of our negotiation is just about completes. You best take da axe and be glad fer you’ll be needin its comfort shortly…..”

 

Looking outside from the window you see the night is starting to fall. Thor looks at you and says, “Well, we have one downstairs now and you make 2. So what I can do is offer ya sumtin ta eat an drink as we wait fer da rest??? We haves a deal fer now?”

 

 

Toldin & Eligos & Darius………

 

(Toldin and Eligos).......

 

As the rain continues to pelt down as you look off toward the north you begin to see a decent sized shadow making its way to the inn up the street. Most of the shadow dissipates to the east side of the road but a few shadows stay off towards the west side of the road.

 

A few seconds later you see an individual making his way to you.

 

(Darius)…..

 

The robed individul gives you a glare that would stand the hair up on the back of a commoner’s neck. Gasps rush through the crowd. Once the coin was tossed into the air you hear the jeers of the crowd as the robed individual snatches it out of the air. He looks around with his guards in tow and say’s, “Ok all ---- we headin south to da Swords Rest…..”

 

After a 20 minute walk you come upon the area of The Swords Rest. Other then the pelting rain drenching everything in sight the group was somewhat very silent as the guard called out orders to one another as they marched you down the center of the street. As they get to this spot all of the group except a few of the guard continue to start to walk to the east side of the street. You however stay with the guard and venture up to the door of The Underdark. As you approach you can make out 2 shadow’s. One on a stool and the other standing underneath of a overhang.

 

The guard that was your escourt had disappeared back into the street and apparently made it back to the group.

 

 

Lorderl…..

 

Eissmuth looks to you and says, “Fine boy --- ye brought up right I’se see.”

 

After paying for the meals beverages and tip you two leave the establishment. Time is early afternoon (about 12:45) as you head back to Eissmuths shop. During the conversation Eissmuth asks you, “Soo what time ye supposed ta meet tanights an is Dagan going to go along?”

 

 

 

Vargos…….

 

She looks to you and says, “Old Thor an Bellrose… Aye know it well lad. What ya be needin ta know?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...