Space Marines

Sergeant_Crunch

About 2 years back my nephew wanted me to paint with him. My sister very reluctantly bought him some. I offered several times to come over and paint with him and even suggested that some of his friends paint as well. This never came to pass because she claimed he was always too busy to paint. I suspect that he really was too busy watching TV.

This is as close as I got to painting them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is, if the Space Marines were any more detailed, I wouldn't have bothered. What I enjoyed about painting them is the fact they are simple and very different from most of the Reaper fantasy stuff I normally do.

That's sort of why I kick around a few older, mostly plastic Bretonnians. They're just similar enough, in terms of scale and 'high fantasy' flavor to a lot of my older Reapers, Ral Parthas, etc., but different enough and lacking the heavy details that can slow me down. When I want to work on color scheme, techniques, conversions or just trying to improve my speed, they keep me from getting overwhelmed by an excess of 'fiddly bits'. At least, that's the theory. In practice, I may actually end up putting more work into them than I should, trying to make up for the lack of detail. Time will tell; I've only done a few, so far.

No marines, but I have painted two full armies of Necrons.

@spartan i'm sorry but necrons are easier to paint. what's easier than metalic skeletons.

Priming with a Model master Dark Green, painting the eyes, eagle, guns and throwing on some decals?

But you're right, you have me there. ::): I should have said of all the Marines, the Dark Angels are the easiest. :lol:

While I'm hardly the poster child for "paints lots of minis", back in the day I use to do much more painting. I've never done a space marine, and that would be because:

1. I'm not into most "space" minis.

2. I don't like the majority of GW's stuff.

3. I'm not a wargamer (WL excluded), so I'm not involved in a whole bunch of table-top miniatures games.

~v

Never Painted one either, though I do have some Colonial Marines that I'll eventually get around to doing. I just wonder if I should paint Apone or Hicks first.:poke:

Apone.. he dies first.

Are these the leading edge colonial marines? I have a bunch of those too.

I wanted to play historicals, but I only knew 40k (2nd ed.) players, so that's what I started playing with. Eventually met up with historical players and gravitated towards that. So much other stuff that I've never gotten around to playing 40k again... Haven't sold the stuff yet, but thinking about it. I've got painted Space Marines, Orks, and Tyranids... all table-top quality, nothin' fancy...

I keep thinking about painting up a figure or two to showcase quality, but other priorities get in the way... hrm...

My life as a war gamer is due in large part to the "Emperor's Champion". I was about 14 when I saw him in one of my dad's white dwarfs and was instantly hooked on space marines. The funny thing is, even though I have a decent sized pile of space marines, about half of which are painted, I never even bought the emperor's champion.

And ever since I got into warlord, I haven't touched my space marines. I even painted ALL of my lizards (except the venomspitter which I just bought). As much fun as space marines are, their rules stink and they cost too much. And if I'm in a Dark Scifi mood, then I can play Dark Age. It requires less minis, which means less money. On top of that I paint much better now than I did 5 years ago, so my Dark Age stuff looks much better. No need for them space marines anymore, even if the emperor's champion is still awesome lookin'.

Never Painted one either, though I do have some Colonial Marines that I'll eventually get around to doing. I just wonder if I should paint Apone or Hicks first.:poke:

Apone.. he dies first.

Are these the leading edge colonial marines? I have a bunch of those too.

Yep those are the ones. I got a bunch of the aliens too. Used to have the queen alien too...but she had an accident and I have most of the queen.