Sign in to follow this  
Sparrow's Tail

Griffon (repaint)

Hello everyone,

Here is an olde Ral Partha Griffon model from 1987. A way back when, I remember, I started painting it without being primed, when the metal started showing through I abandoned it (no patience and short attention span). ::P:

I gave it a stripping bath and started over. :poke:

It still needs some touch up work, but I was fairly pleased with how the palate turned out (especially the head).

Cheers :lol:

post-3760-1174854131.jpg

post-3760-1174854159.jpg

post-3760-1174854174.jpg

post-3760-1174854219.jpg

• Like 18

That looks fantastic! The eyes are great, the feathers are excellent and overall the model is done extremely well. Nice work!

Very nice paint job. I've alway thought that this was the best Gryphon sculpt ever, and apparently others do to as it is implssible to get one one Ebay for a decent price.

John Lee

Very nice painting, though the sculpt looks a little odd to me...given the age, and the subject matter though, that's quite excusable. Those wings are huge...I really like the wing bands.

I have to echo Vil-hatarn on this one...there are things in that sculpt that make it my favorite gryphon ever...and there are things in that sculpt that just hurt to look at. Your paint, though...wow. Beautiful palette, and that face is spot-on. Brilliant work on the eye, there. Really nice. And I definitely like your patterning for the feathers. Pretty!

Edit: on second glance, I see what the sculpt is doing in my brain, now. That gryphon, especially the head, has a very heraldic look to it. That's why I like your paint of the face so much, too...it matches that very stately quality of the sculpt beautifully!

Ooh, how beautiful. I love the old Partha and Grenadier gryphons.

This paint job warmly brings out the feathers and fur texture.

The double tail is a bit weird -- feathers over a lion tail like that. I suppose it aids in maneuvering in the air.