joshuaslater

Upcoming Generic Card Changes?

I'm pretty sure that the bottle neck for reaper doesn't exist in their ability to create awesome miniatures. It's in their ability to play test new stats and abilities.

Although the Snakeman champion would be a cool addition to any Reptus army he is completely out of scale with our Nagendra, and what kind of stats would he have to make him different from the other heroes in our faction?

I am sure Reaper heard everyones plea for people wanting to play with the DHL models, that's why they created very lose proxy rules.

That snakeman champion isn't unplayable, he just won't have a stat card with his name on it. And even with generic stats he never would.

Ask Moosey about what models make up his perfectly legal reptus army. I think it's more DHL than Warlord.

Scale shmale. Cosmetic reasons. Not buyin' it. The cards don't have to be tourney legal. Just allowing players and groups to use them would be enough. It would only SELL THE GAME TO MORE PLAYERS.

I can't see any cogent or convincing argument that having an online data card would turn people off of DHL. Nowhere was it mentioned printing them and including them in the blister. That's just wasteful.

If the DHL models sell, and I'm talkin' about one or two per faction, they could join the ranks of the actual army and be marketed with either the broccoli DHL base or the Warlord slot-plastic-chombie base, and no fear of being discontinued. Let the players of the game use these cards AT THEIR OWN RISK! They can just be "beta-testing" for all I care. It would just add to the game.

The DHL line is huge. Expecting a data card for every model AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. This request is far smaller and not beyond Reaper's reach or grasp. Go 'head Reaper, throw one out there. Give us a bone. See how the response goes. Let the players playtest it heavily. The forum can play the hell out of them and put in their input like one MONSTER Black Lightning community. Then we can all proceed accordingly. Abysmal failure, no skin off of anyone. It's just dice and pewter, and Reaper's business.

Excuse me for being a bit confused here. How do you guys play Warlord? Do you have a group of players who each take a unit, and a GM runs them through a dungeon or something? I'm just curious. I've seen similar stuff done at conventions (like Castlebuilder's events) and such, but I don't imagine that to be the norm for the game.

Normally, if we want to play a wargame, I put my army down, my opponent puts theirs down, and we go at each other's throats. There might be scenarios like holding a hill or something, but it usually doesn't involve carrion crawlers or rampant gnolls. If we feel like a dungeon crawl, we pull out Descent. If we feel like campaigning, we pull out D&D...

Well some times I like to put down shall we say encounters on the battle field that your troops run across. Monsters live in the woods too ya know and some might not take kindly to tresspassers. It's a way to add a little variance to the game. And before you say monsters would run form an army until you get to around 2000+ you only have a same band of troops, or a banquet for some monsters.

Well some times I like to put down shall we say encounters on the battle field that your troops run across. Monsters live in the woods too ya know and some might not take kindly to tresspassers. It's a way to add a little variance to the game. And before you say monsters would run form an army until you get to around 2000+ you only have a same band of troops, or a banquet for some monsters.

I guess I'd be too worried about making the game unfair for one side or the other, and there is the issue of who will be controlling those monsters. As you say, if there are 3 participants, why not throw in another 2000 point army and have a 3 way...

I guess I'd be too worried about making the game unfair for one side or the other, and there is the issue of who will be controlling those monsters. As you say, if there are 3 participants, why not throw in another 2000 point army and have a 3 way...

A three way is usually worse because invariably two armies get hurt worse than the third and the third then steps and cleans up easily. For these encounters we've never had a problem with is before and as I said before it adds something different to the mix that adding another army to the game can't do.

Well, the generics didn't make it from the 1st printing to the 2nd printing, so I doubt they'll make it to the third.

I finally got around to checking; second printing, pages 140-143.

We'll just have to wait 'til the new cards all come out, won't we? I agree putting up our own monsters is the best fan driven idea.

As for the rubric, I was being facetious. ::):

Ooops, sorry. I wasn't being dogmatic, at least not intentionally so.

Now, with the generic card info in hand, I see a chart that appears to be a part of the original rubric (!) -- point costs and effects for applying some SAs, weapons and other modifiers to generic cards. Let's run with that, put up some monster card suggestions, prove the concept and go from there. If the cards eventually get updated and the chart gets updated & expanded, all the better.

I'm not particularly fond of 3+ way fights either, but Warlord is one of the better systems that can handle it.

Somehow, I feel in the minority, trying to play and promote Warlord games without feeling a need to add my own spin to it...

Hi there, will the new rules actually still have Generic data cards such as "burrowing creature" and "Warlord" available ?

I love using the generic cards to use any figure or monster!

I have the hardcover rulebook (2nd printing) and the generic cards in the book are so much fun.

Reaper is keeping these right ?

Reaper ?

Thanks

Christof

Somehow, I feel in the minority, trying to play and promote Warlord games without feeling a need to add my own spin to it...

No? Rather than using Warlord as a framework to build scenarios and dungeon crawls, you play Descent. Instead of Warlord's campaign rules, you play D&D. I don't consider trying to get full use out of WL, as it was designed, to be adding my own personal spin to the game. I see it as working within the rules. It seems to me you'd be missing a big chunk of what makes Warlord good by using it only for standard wargaming and picking up overlapping or missing mechanics with different games.

Openness, flexibility, proxies, generic cards, mercs, freelance, the ability to campaign, create scenarios, add your own flavor and 'spin' are some of the hallmarks of Warlord. Those are most of the very reasons I got interested in it. Some of the WL models were cool, but I had a lot of great models in DHL and other sources. Some of the fluff was okay, but not earth-shattering. It was the openness of the game, and the attitude of Reaper, Black Lightning, the FLGS's and players that brought me in. The last paragraph of the last page of the book (minus the Quick Play sheet) pretty well sums it up for me.

"If you believe in Reaper and you believe in our products and games we would hope that you would support us by buying our products - which helps us to continue to bring you new products. But if you want to make an all left-handed basket weaver army from models you sculpted, converted and made yourself from figures taken from a hundred different game companies and just use our rules... by all means, do so. Let's have fun with our shared hobby and worry less about 'officiality'."

I think it might have been a bit clearer if written, "...converted and made yourself, or use figures taken from...", emphasis mine. But, that's just semantics. However written or read, the spirit and intent are unmistakable. "Put what you want on the table, as long as you use our rules. But above all, just GET OUT AND PLAY!"

If I want canon and rules set in stone, marching in lockstep to the company's beat, I'll look to GW. If I want fast, fun, flexible, friendly play, I'll look to Reaper, antidote for GW.

I understand Reaper's stance in the beginning. But I also know the requirement for structure, especially if they want this game to be played at a competitive level in tournaments and such. That is the reason for the changes in 1.2, and the reason for Chronicles, and the tournament format under development.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing with their minis however they want. Couple years back, I played a game against Frosch's completely custom Moonscar Court and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also had fun with Castlebuilder's trapfilled dungeons. I just don't understand why Reaper needs to focus on anything but the structured game itself to provide the most enjoyable competitive tournament environment.

I understand Reaper's stance in the beginning. But I also know the requirement for structure, especially if they want this game to be played at a competitive level in tournaments and such. That is the reason for the changes in 1.2, and the reason for Chronicles, and the tournament format under development.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing with their minis however they want. Couple years back, I played a game against Frosch's completely custom Moonscar Court and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also had fun with Castlebuilder's trapfilled dungeons. I just don't understand why Reaper needs to focus on anything but the structured game itself to provide the most enjoyable competitive tournament environment.

And so how does making WL competitive preclude them from updating the generic card system that is not allowed in official tournaments? Other than local tournaments I don't play in them and probably never will and at least in my area most gamers I know have no interest in the cut throat tournament scene. They play for fun and entertainment which makes a generic card system more valuable to me that allows me to quickly throw twists and turns in an otherwise normal game. This is a fantasy game, sometimes players like to pit their troops against something other than the ordinary WL troops and Reaper has given us a way to do that and from what I've seen so far in this thread I'm not alone by far in wanting the generic system to carry over into the new way.

Let me clarify one thing. To me, competitive does not mean cut-throat, it mean armies with equal chances of winning, and game mechanics favoring the better tactician (as opposed to the better dice roller). And having been to a few conventions myself, I must say Warlord tournaments are the friendliest ones I've ever seen.

And if you don't care about officiality or game balance, I still don't know why Reaper needs to produce such stats when anyone is capable of slapping their own stats on a monster.