The 3D prints have arrived.

Short term, they will be website sales only. I'm kinda time-limited to find a distributor to carry these for now. I will have a shopping cart, a store, and should be able to take echecks, paypal, and credit cards.

Packaging wise, they aren't going to be fancy. A poly bag, and a business card. :)

And here are some better pics:

post-391-1178338263_thumb.jpgpost-391-1178338279_thumb.jpg

post-391-1178338298_thumb.jpgpost-391-1178338321_thumb.jpg

post-391-1178338336_thumb.jpgpost-391-1178338354_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crusoe, drop me a PM when you're going to start selling these. I will be in need of some greys for an upcoming Dark Matter Campaign, and these are much better than the generic dwarfish naked guys you see.

Now, fix me up some sci-fi sasquatch and you'll have a customer for life...

Wow... I found the blog for these a long time ago on Conceptart.org, and I've been following it on and off. (I lost my bookmark to it, can you post the blog link?)

I'm very interested in the process, because I'm going to be doing the 3D work for a game, and there's a chance of doing a miniture version, and rather than sculpting from hand, I might be able to use the content we already have...

Man this is extremely exciting. I think I'll grab a few to see the end result.

I must admit these look better than I thought they would. I still think the printing jaggies will be an issue for painters, BUT since I have yet to see one painted I can only " imagine " that they would be an issue.

I won't ask about the cost to manufacture but I imagine it was comparably high. How long was the process start to finish? ( concept to 3d model to tangible-acceptable print to metal cast )

I should post a pic of a primed model so you can see how the slight texture fills in. I'll do that later today... <:)

The tools are perhaps the biggest hurdle, as it is a different workflow, and I'm still learning them. That said, I've been working on the heavy warrior, and after experimenting, have found a wonderful quick way to rapidly model swords and guns.

Cost wise, I don't know if it's applicable yet to 1 off figures, in terms of time / money tradeoff. Can I work fast enough that paying $50-$60 to get it printed for my client is worth it? For complicated figures, possibly. But the prices are always dropping, and I am getting quicker. And as you model, your 'props' library grows.

I will say, for units, the price is pretty compelling. You can save time, via posing the same base meshes, and money. There is an extreme amount of reusability in the process. The printing costs are around $60 for one fig.

I should post a pic of a primed model so you can see how the slight texture fills in. I'll do that later today... <:)

The tools are perhaps the biggest hurdle, as it is a different workflow, and I'm still learning them. That said, I've been working on the heavy warrior, and after experimenting, have found a wonderful quick way to rapidly model swords and guns.

Cost wise, I don't know if it's applicable yet to 1 off figures, in terms of time / money tradeoff. Can I work fast enough that paying $50-$60 to get it printed for my client is worth it? For complicated figures, possibly. But the prices are always dropping, and I am getting quicker. And as you model, your 'props' library grows.

I will say, for units, the price is pretty compelling. You can save time, via posing the same base meshes, and money. There is an extreme amount of reusability in the process. The printing costs are around $60 for one fig.

Only $60! Hot Damn!

Wow... if you don't mind handing your hard earned knowledge for free, how do you deal with a printer? As in, do you rig the meshes and pose them in different files, then send the files as .objs to the printer? How do you model for printing, and what are the constraints? Does the printer require certain sizes/formats? Say I have some game models, ~7000 polys for low rez and a Hi-rez for the normal, can I use the Hi-rez and just "print them off" or is it a bit more difficult?

This is quite an interesting process... Can't wait to see more!

Almost all of the 3d printers out there use the same file format - STL. The simple answer is you merely have to have software that will export or convert to that format, and you can send it off. That said, I'm sure there are certain things you have to make sure of on your model so that it will print correctly.