GreyHorde

The Wannabe at ReaperCon Painting Challenge '07

Eh, why not? My show closes next weekend, and then I should have evenings free to paint again. Sign me up for amateur! ::D:

Using your guidlines I guess I would consider myself an Amateur. I don't paint for a living and use only sales as non-profit (all goes back into painting supplies). If you think other wise, I won't have any problem with it. ::):

I have painted for others - but never for profit. So by Olympic standards - I am also amateur. (Well - that and my painting skill being short of pro as well <_< . But that is besides the point).

I would suggest that the Wannabe challenge is 'open'... Seeing as there are no prizes I don't think this is an issue... If it is - then, I'll list myself as 'pro' - just to see how I rank with the professionals :rolleyes: .

Arrrrgh!!!! Going to go start me mini then eh!!! Abast ye scurvy dogs!!!

What makes the above line doubley stupid - is the fact I am not painting pirates.

Yeah, the pro/am thing seemed like a good idea at the time. Of course, many things at 2:00 AM seem like a good idea, but fall apart in the light of day. The original premise was to mimic ReaperCon contest levels. Staff painters, RC winners and maybe some others must compete in a Masters category, levelling the playing field for first-time entrants. It's less intimidating that way, gets better participation.

Here, you're right, it's not about the prizes, but I would also say it's about group participation, friendly competition and practicing for ReaperCon 2008. So, yes, it's wide open, but I figured at the end, anyone could vote twice, once each for an amateur and a pro entry. That way the playing field is level. Lurkers, first-timers and nervous Nellies would not see a well-known name and be too intimidated to enter.

It's all an honor system, not set criteria. So, VV, you might win the Pro Division outright, if you're the only entrant. See? Now we need someone to jump in and give you some competition.

'sides, someone needs to lay a smack down on ya for talkin' like a pirate without actually painting one. ::P:

Yeah, the pro/am thing seemed like a good idea at the time. Of course, many things at 2:00 AM seem like a good idea, but fall apart in the light of day. The original premise was to mimic ReaperCon contest levels. Staff painters, RC winners and maybe some others must compete in a Masters category, levelling the playing field for first-time entrants. It's less intimidating that way, gets better participation.

Here, you're right, it's not about the prizes, but I would also say it's about group participation, friendly competition and practicing for ReaperCon 2008. So, yes, it's wide open, but I figured at the end, anyone could vote twice, once each for an amateur and a pro entry. That way the playing field is level. Lurkers, first-timers and nervous Nellies would not see a well-known name and be too intimidated to enter.

It's all an honor system, not set criteria. So, VV, you might win the Pro Division outright, if you're the only entrant. See? Now we need someone to jump in and give you some competition.

'sides, someone needs to lay a smack down on ya for talkin' like a pirate without actually painting one. ::P:

Hmmm...

Greyhorde you seem to have see directly through my cunning plan...

Curses!!! You vile fiend!!!

I think another concern with the pro-amatuer entrance - may be that anyone who wants to enter doesn't want to come off and say 'yeah - I'm a pro!!!' in case it is taken as too much bravado...

Still - I'll say I like to think I know what I am doing - and this will force me to a) raise the bar, b) actually base something properly, and c) bribe people outright for votes!!!!

And Greyhorde - I believe the correct reply for your 'lay the smack down' comment would be:

Well, man-up Nancy. Grow a pair and give me at least some competition - at least until someone who can actually slap paint shows up... :rock:

Wow - If that isn't the best use for 'the Rock' smiley - I don't know what is...

Do you smeeeeeeeelllllllllll-l-l-l what the Fox is cookin'!?!?!?!?

:lol: That's why I started this thing -- so I don't have to actually participate in it. ::P: Now you know the rest of my vile, fiendish plan. Muwahhhh hhahhh hahhhh And, geez, what are you cookin', Fox Boy? Whatever it is, maybe you should have skinned it first, 'cuz man, that is rank!

Seriously, though, I doubt that I'll have time for a competitive entry. I've got my hands full yapping out here, a house full of sick family members to tend (for the second weekend in a row), 1.5 jobs, and a bunch of WL minis to throw together for the unit challenge. If I get all caught up and feel adventurous, I'll jump back in here. For now, I'll watch with interest.

Understood Greyhorde...

I won't even take the easy jab of saying you are chicken... I know what RL can do to plans. I am painting for nothing else at the moment - just this and the spring mini - exchange... I get the kids to bed by 9 and I have 2 hours or so to myself - so I can usually do some painting each day.

I hope everyone gets better soon. And maybe I'll whip up a WL unit just to rain on your parade :devil: .

(Idle threat - I have no idea what would go into a unit - nor do I want to shell out that much on lead at the moment... specially since I would need to order it in to my FLGS and that would take a week or two... As it is - I doubt I'll get to enter a CAV... But I will paint one one day... Just to try it...)

And that smell? Yeah - it's victory... It's from the smoldering remains of better people than you who have tried to challenge me and FAILED!!! ... ::P:

I'm in. What the heck, I'll try pro. ::):

Sonuva ....

Curses!!! My plan of just walking to first place have been dashed!!!!

Oh well... It'll be fun. I should get some free hours this weekend to make up some ground. Maybe start a WIP... You know - so Greyhorde can have a place to laugh at what I am doing... :poke: .

Rocky - welcome to the challenge - and may the best painter win! And may I finish somewhere around 4th... in a field of three it will be hard... but I think I can pull it off. :upside:

I'm in. Technically an amatuer according to the criteria, but I'll risk getting crushed in the big boy's (and girl's) competition, to give VV someone else to smack talk. I think I will try something with OSL, freehand, and some water effects; can you one up that?

I'm in. Technically an amatuer according to the criteria, but I'll risk getting crushed in the big boy's (and girl's) competition, to give VV someone else to smack talk. I think I will try something with OSL, freehand, and some water effects; can you one up that?

Um... :huh:

No...? ::D:

Hey..when we get these done...where do you want them? And when do you want them posted?

And definitely amateur division mate. And never mind on the above questions..will get some photos done and stuck up here over the weekend I think.

Cool. WIPs in WIP thread, final photos here for voting by midnight (forum time) May 17.

BTW Greyhorde... How is the voting going to work?

(I need to know if I should start setting up fake newbie accounts in advance :devil: )

Oh, yes, by all means, V V, feel free to create a whole, big bunch of accounts. IIRC, Kit actually likes the challenge of tracing IP addresses and suspicious activity to coordinate nuclear strikes from low orbit. :poke:

Actually, I thought there was some way to run a simple poll, but now I don't see it. Perhaps a generous mod or Kit (hot wings!) would be so kind as to enable that option, or show me how it's done...?

If not, it's no big deal. I am counting on the general honesty of forum members:

6. Prior to the deadline, post final photos here in this thread. After winners are announced, feel free to post again in Show Off.

7. Between the entry deadline and the end of ReaperCon <Sunday, May 20>, vote once each here in this thread for Best Pro Mini and Best Amateur Mini. Voting is open to any Reaper forum member, not just Challenge participants. <ADDENDUM> If you are not comfortable with public voting, PM me (GreyHorde) your votes and I will add them in.

8. On Sunday, May 20 votes will be tallied and winners announced.

If I had time and the right skills, I would consider setting up a separate voting page, hosted elsewhere. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to secure it to prevent vote padding. I might try a simple page of e-mail links. You know, sort of 'click here to send an e-mail vote for this entry, click there to send an e-mail vote for that one...' I can do some simple HTML, but that's about all.

I hope that helps. If not, I'm open to suggestions.

Actually, I thought there was some way to run a simple poll, but now I don't see it. Perhaps a generous mod or Kit (hot wings!) would be so kind as to enable that option, or show me how it's done...?

simple for Mods & Admins, not available to Members.

Considering all of those people who have the ability to do this for you will be at RCon, you may not be able to have our help, we'll be a little busy running a convention.

We'll see what we can do, no promises.