non repeatable actions

merlonc

Given that one unit can perform 2 different non repeatable actions in a turn ( and calling a strike is a special action not a combat action) is the following possible.

A unit with FiST can perform:

A ranged attack and call a Strike

A close combat and call a Strike

This would allow for instance a Hedgehog loaded with 3 rifle teams each with FiST, Shock and DT 23's to

1. Dismount

2. Fire their missles

3. Call two Air Strikes and one smoke strike

4. Mount the transport again

in a single activation (assuming you had the strikes available)

Or an 8 man rifle squad with airborne, drop, DT 23, FiST drop and on the turn they drop

1. Fire 8 DT 23 missles

2. Call 8 strikes, if you have them

in a single activation (assuming you had the strikes available)

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would allow for instance a Hedgehog loaded with 3 rifle teams each with FiST, Shock and DT 23's to

1. Dismount

2. Fire their missles

3. Call two Air Strikes and one smoke strike

4. Mount the transport again

in a single activation

Yes, that's completely legal. Its also why we have this thread - http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25699

Or an 8 man rifle squad with airborne, drop, DT 23, FiST drop and on the turn they drop

1. Fire 8 DT 23 missles

2. Call 8 strikes, if you have them

in a single activation

Yes that is legal. However, even if you're only talking your basic Artillery Strike, that's 259 points for a one trick pony. And 8 stands of them is a 2072 point one trick pony. At that point cost you're going out of the practical and into the theoretical.

Thanks, I realize the second example is out there but I just wanted to be sure the full scope of the question was laid out.

It is a neat one trick pony at 3000 points with Terran's for a one turn aplha strike army. It would not be a lot of fun to play or play against normally.

The first example is frightfully effective, again especially for Terran's.

FYI: I prefer infantry based forces in general:

True, but Strikes are not by themselves model killers. Sure, you might damage a few CAV, maybe destroy some of the Recon ones, but then you've spent half your points on Strikes and your opponent has a LOT of pissed off metal left on the table, and you've got a Transport and some Soldiers left.

Even if you're cruising in a Hedgehog, I'm willing to bet it's not going to survive the concentrated fire of every remaining CAV on the table for very long.

True, but Strikes are not by themselves model killers. Sure, you might damage a few CAV, maybe destroy some of the Recon ones, but then you've spent half your points on Strikes and your opponent has a LOT of pissed off metal left on the table, and you've got a Transport and some Soldiers left.

Even if you're cruising in a Hedgehog, I'm willing to bet it's not going to survive the concentrated fire of every remaining CAV on the table for very long.

I will take that bet ::P: . With a nice mix of cheap smoke strikes only your indirect and really fast cav will ever get to shoot at me. Don't forget my infantry also have AT 23 missles possibly boosted by an optional EST on the transport. Its expensive but fairly effective.

Just dont forget that only 20 % of your total points can be spent on strikes of any kind. Terrans break the rules a bit with the free strike every turn but they are special....

Free strikes and free Fist make terrans the king of this style.

The only thing that makes this tactic really really nasty is the current incarnation of Shock, after this is looked at I think you'll see it even out a bit, because remember that nice group of infantry and its transport that just dropped a round on your head from orbit, make a really nice target them selfs.