Olivia, Mercenary Cleric

beanie

Ugh, so..as you can see, not the greatest finish. I started out strong at least!

You can probably tell that darklining didn't go that well for me. I got really sloppy and then I panicked and THEN I started to hold my breath. Not good. By then I realized that I'd made a lot of mistakes from the beginning that I had no idea how to fix, like the robe, and so I just finished her. I've already resolved to paint this figure again after a space of time and after I've learned something.

But hey, she's not cross-eyed! ::D:

post-3888-1176455467_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the eyes on this one are great mate. Definitely good work there. The book, censer and Jar have also come out really well. The robes are decent and also the armour. I would not be upset about this one. Keep practising and who knows where you will end up!

Point of clarification beanie...

What do you mean by "I'd made a lot of mistakes from the beginning that I had no idea how to fix, like the robe".

The robe may look a little flat... But I don't see that as an issue. The hardest part of doing cloth is to keep you wet edge and avoid visible lines where you overlap. I don't see this here.

When you feel more comfortable - it would be easy to mix a bit of black/dark brown with your red and use it to chase into some of the creases/folds of the mini - then 'thin' that out so it transitions into the red (tricky to do - but effective once you get the hang of it*). Also - mix some orange/yellow into the red to lighten it up and apply it to the highspots to catch the highlights. Again - if you care to, you can try and thin it into the red basecoat... But I don't see any issues with the robe in this mini as it stands now.

Frankly, a few months/years from now you will post pictures of 'your first minis' and everyone will hate you because your first mini's look waaaay to good for first mini's :poke: .

*Wet blending and layering are two techniques that people use to get the highlights - I end up using a combination of the two... my layers are usually too opaque when I first lay them down - so I immediately chase after them with a really thin wash or even straight extender/improver mix to push and pull the highlights/shadows to where I want them. And if my darks or too dark - or my highlights are to light - I use a wash of the base colour to cover it over and average things out again.

Great work on this mini as it stands now though beanie! Just throwing in my 2¢.

Okay, first of all, I know this is one of your VERY first minis. A lot of mini painting is practice, practice, practice. Which means that, even though you may not be painting like Marike today, that doesn't mean you won't be in time. You got the paint where you wanted it, you took the plunge with the eyes, and you did a great job. Be proud of yourself, pick up that next mini, and get some more time in with your brushes. The longer you paint, the more you'll learn how to manipulate the paint and the brushes so they do exactly what you want them to.

Hey, this looks a heckuvalot better than some of MY first minis.

And, I really don't see what you're unhappy with. The face looks fantastic, the leathers and metals are nice, and the reds aren't half bad. Especially considering how hard it is to get reds "right"--I think most will agree, red and white are the hardest things to do perfectly...except Jester. His reds look more red than...red things...but for us mortals, reds are hard. And yours look pretty good, especially considering how early in your painting career this mini is.

Keep 'em coming!

Looks good for a newbie try! I see you went out and got yourself some putty to use :-) And at least you tried darklining. I didn't try that until about a year and a half into painting! It was so intimidating for me because I was afraid I was going to mess up the mini.

Just keep practicing.

Beanie, where are you located?

You guys are way too nice, and I really appreciate all your good things to say! I think maybe I am overly-critical. Also, she looks SO much better without a stupid camera getting in the way! I think I am disappointed because the robe did come out a little flat, but I was afraid to try and layer. No more of that!

You guys rock. I am so glad I found you.

p.s. I live in Ventura, California, which is about 50 miles from LA.

As far as holding your breath Something I have learned that works, is hold it for a few seconds while you position your brush and then paint as you breath out, your brush will be steadier and you still get to hold your breath! ^_^

That sounds an aweful lot like how you keep a gun steady when shooting...

Some of the early figurines I painted were with the standard base coat, ink, then drybrush. They were AWEFUL. The ink pooled, acted weird and stained the mini. The drybrushing looked powdery and nasty. I started using the "advanced" techniques of layering out of sheer frustration.

About two years later I needed to paint armies. LOTS of armies. I was building demo groups of Warlord figs and painted something like 300 minis in the space of about six months. With that much production to do, I went back to base/wash/drybrush. I then discovered something interesting.

The problem with using the basic techniques was my own lack of brush skills. I also wasn't thinning the ink or using additives. When I used these methods with the basic techniques, low and behold, I could turn out nice table-top minis at a rapid rate. Not display quality by a longshot, but good enough for newbs to push around on the tabletop.

I did use the higher level techniques on some of the heros and leadership models, so that over all the armies looked nice.

I've been teaching quite a few people over time and I start with the same techniques. I would recommend you start there as well. The basic techniques will help you develop the brush skills you need to use more challenging techniques later. If at all possible find a person who can teach you. If not, just keep plugging and posting here. It will get better.

Oh, and you are being WAY too hard on yourself. If you paint 50 minis and they still look like that, THEN you've got reason for concern. ::):

There is a show off thread on first minis. take a look at that and it will make you realize ow well you really are doing. I think she's great.

And keep it up. Prectice Practice Practice, as others have said.

Meg: Beanie was at SoCal doing PnT, so this is kind of our fault.

I'd say that this is a very strong start for a "beginner".

The face turned out very nice, eyes well shaped, not pop-eye'd, evenly placed.

All the areas are blocked in neatly and the paint doesn't look lumpy or too thick.

I also like very much the metal on the mace looking thing (hanging at the knees...censer?). The book cover and binding also looks very convincing although the straps look a little flat.

This is a great start!

I would follow everyone's advice and progress slowly and steadily. Pick minis that you want to paint, pick a technique you'd like to work on, when that mini is done to your satisfaction, post it here for comments.

It may seem a bit weird to be picking and choosing individual techniques but as you progress, techniques that you've become comfortable with become second nature and that'll allow you to concentrate on newer challenges.

Post more!

Thanks

AWhang