Adjustable munitions

So i've dreampt this incredibly expensive but just evil IA section. And to make it worthwhile i was gonna put adjustable munitions on two of the mini's involved. But can you declare which way you are gonna take it after your target lock attempt or do you have to do it before? Basically i want to try for the biggest shot vs those pesky troop transports in a way to totally bypass the smoke strikes that seem so popular. Just think of the target lock good ness with two faction panthers 2 conquerors with adjustable munitions and the very expensive mastadon bookending the whole thing. Also a good combo to shoot cruise missles out of the sky.

Adding a thought here. It would only be cost effective in a big...big game but would be fun to field.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've got your terminology a little bit mixed up - sounds like you're still using CAV 1 verbiage. Target Lock is a completely seperate Action from Ranged Attacks now, so Adjustable Muntions have nothing to do with TL. I think what you want to know is if you have to declare what you're doing with your Adjustable Muntions before you resolve your Target Point Roll. Right?

We've been playing that you have to declare your AOE size before you make your Target Point Roll, but looking through the rules, I don't see anywhere where it says you have to do that, so I guess you could see where your shot hits first, then adjust your AOE as need be. That sure makes Adjustable Munitions a lot more useful IMHO.

I personally would say declare which way you're adjusting the attack when you declare attack before rolling anything. Just seems cheesy to do otherwise.

I was kinda feeling the same way, but when you really think about it, wouldn't changing its AOE to ensure it hits the target be a major fuction of an adjustable munition? I mean you fire it at a model or group of models, but it drifts. The warhead determines in flight that its going to be off target, so it reprograms itself to spread its munitions out wider in an attempt to still hit the targets.

Alternately, the missile has been told to focus on one specific target. It knows its flying accurately, so it adjusts itself for maximum damage.

My position is from the viewpoint that the WSO sets the munition spread before launching. The technology for the rounds to determine spread in flight would be feasible in the future seeing as how there are anti-tank artillery munitions that use sensors to find target tanks and provide terminal guidance.

This brings up a question for you Chrome. Regarding rules clarifications like this, does the Mil-Net team make the determination now or does Reaper retain that function.

Do I have to decide how to set my AMs before I see if I want to use the targeting from a CFP? I can choose not to use the CFP and roll my own target point, right?

I think probably the simplest ruling is to let the AMs be set after targetting. Especially considering the general weakness of IA, it doesn't seem like a little +2 is going to make that big a difference.

PS

I think that the clarification will help decide if it is the munitions that are adjustable (computer adjustment based on targeting information in flight) or whether the unit has multiple types of munitions in the bin and deciede what to use when the shot is taken (aka before the roll is made.)

I've always liked the idea that on-board nanobots might be able to adjust the yield/dispersion of a warhead in flight to deal with the designated target. In fact, it was part of the fluff I wrote for my X-Cav2 project entry way back when. So I'm all for being able to adjust munitions after your target point is determined.

Well my opinion on the whole thing is that declaration would be most useful after the result of the target point roll is known. Just think of the scenerio like this....your sitting in your cav trying to paint this far off target with your laser satelitte assisted targetting(just go with it no idea how it would work). You get a good tone on the warhead and hit a certain button marked max penetration. Or bad one on same stick and you pray to hit the target so move the toggle with your cool geeky sensor helmet to kick it over a few notches on the spread of the weapon.

I mean considering the fluff and technical crap involved in making a big stompy robot run about the field while attempting to blow stuff up. Responding to offboard info and onboard info in the blink of an eye with your cool nano neuro helmet thingee i dont think this would be a big stretch in the rules.