How to transfer citadel paint to Reaper Master Paint Bottles

Thor

Hi,

I'm a newbie and have just started back into the hobby. I tried it before but just ended up collecting mins that I never painted. This time I am totally committed to paint so for the last couple of months I have done a tonne of research. I am officially painting my first minis via the Reaper How to Paint kit #1. My question is, I picked up a bunch of Citadel paints and I was wondering what the best way to transfer them into the Reaper bottles would be.

Thanks!

P.S. I have been reading the stuff on this forum for help for the last two months. Inevitably the group of people on this forum are my main sources of insight. Mini painting can be really frustrating when you learn by yourself but I have bought books and materials (all the How to Paint kits) based on your recommendations. Thanks to you all!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first of all, Welcome to the family officially. Glad to see you posting and I can't wait to see what you produce!

As to transferring the Citadel paints to Reaper bottles, well the short answer is carefully. The long answer might involve a funnel or possibly an eye dropper type thing. Those might work easiest, but just be careful.

The learn to paint kits are great!

One thing you might look into as well if you are getting stuck or want some advice, is check out the Black Lightning member database and see who is in your area and see if they are doing any painting demos. That always helps....and kind of what got me into the hobby seriously.

Cheers and good luck with it all mate!

Actually, transferring is not as tough as it would seem. Simply pour slowly, from just slightly above the MSP bottle. The paints are thick enough to stream right in. If you have trouble, set the bottle on a table and brace your hands together around/under the Citadel pot. Hold a toothpick, craft stick, bamboo skewer or some other skinny, straight stick over or just inside the mouth of the MSP bottle and pour against the stick, letting it run down the stick and into the dropper bottle. I did this for at least 10 bottles, and only had one minor tipover spill. Thin the paints with flow improver, water, gunk or whatever you want once inside the dropper bottle, otherwise you'll have a hard time getting it to flow through the dropper tip.

Do not attempt this with inks. :rolleyes: Trust me on this one, a syringe or eyedropper works better.

• Reaper User

Also, if you find the GW paints too thick to pour well, don't be afraid to add a little water to the GW bottle, shake well, and try again. ::): If you can get your hands on some flow improver, even better! GW paints benefit from a little thinning so it won't hurt the paint.

--Anne

Another tip: If you have problems getting the tip back on the bottle, put it loosely in place and screw on the cap. That will force the tip down into the bottle.

The tips pop off fairly easily. I do it regularly to unclog the tips. I pull of the tip, push a long wire through (usually a paperclip that's partially straightened) and then wipe off the wire. That way I don't pull the clog back up into the tip when I pull the wire out. You can add a little distilled water while you've got the paint open if it's getting thick.

I had all my RPPs rebottled in dropper bottles. Its amazing how well RPPs work when you start with a fresh from the factory bottle and put it in a dropper. Once the RMS went past 120 colors I stopped carrying both to demos and sold off the RPPs.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Some of the GW paints are kinda sludgy, so I will add water to them this weekend, shake them up and then try the tip and pour technique using the toothpick to guide the flow. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I would have made a big mess on my own!

P.S. Does it matter what brand thinner I use? I don't have one so should I just go into the local art store and ask for acrylic thinner or is there a "standout" thinner(s)...?

• Reaper User

These are all acrylics, so thin 'em with water. If you wish, you can ask for "flow improver" at an art or craft store. Flow improver breaks down the surface tension of the paint and will make it flow easier. Artists' brands (like Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver, for example) require thinning with water before use (this translates to adding only a drop or two and then about ten drops of water to your Citadel paint pot). The flow improver does help GW paint immensely and will also make many things about painting easier for you. ::):

--Anne

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Some of the GW paints are kinda sludgy, so I will add water to them this weekend, shake them up and then try the tip and pour technique using the toothpick to guide the flow. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I would have made a big mess on my own!

P.S. Does it matter what brand thinner I use? I don't have one so should I just go into the local art store and ask for acrylic thinner or is there a "standout" thinner(s)...?

I recently did this with my Citadel and few Reaper Pros. I used GreyHorde's method and it worked out great. I used one toothpick per color.

After adding a bit of water or other additive, don't forget to drop in a glass bead or fishing split-shot weight as an agitator. Nothing more satisfying than feeling that bit-o-lead rattling around in the bottle as you shake! :)

Just in case, spread out a bit of newspaper, keep a few paper towels handy, and a small cup of water nearby.

Good luck.

Thanks

AWhang

If you know someone in the medical field or in a lab ask them to get you a syringe ( without needle), you can literally use it like a vacuum cleaner and suck all of the paint out of the pot. You can also find them at the drug counter where they have the different implements for giving liquid medicine to toddlers and babies. I used this to transfer some inks and paint into dropper bottles and it worked like a charm.

Hope it helps,

John Lee

Since I'm a nurse and have gotten permission to raid my work for goodies, I can give you this advice: If you're ever in an ER (my neck of the woods), ask if you can have a six or twelve cc syringe with a BLUNT 18 gauge needle. These needles are AWESOME. They're surgical-steel sterile needles that have a flat, blunt (of course) tip instead of a sharp and work marvelously to use as a dropper. I asked my boss for ten syringes and ten blunts and use them for my additives and whatnot. I can't think of any nurse that would mind giving away a syringe or a blunt needle, especially if you tell them it's for your painting addiction and not your heroin addiction.

Seriously, my work is turning out to have more supplies for this hobby than the craft stores.

... six or twelve cc syringe with a BLUNT 18 gauge needle...

Seriously, my work is turning out to have more supplies for this hobby than the craft stores.

Good Heavens! What do you do with BLUNT needles! Aren't those things painful enough going in sharp?!