Sign in to follow this  
Voladilk

Beta Thoughts

Ok Guys! I thought I would get a post started for our discussion about the new beta rules and cards. What do you think? What do you feel are good changes and what are bad ones?

Tell us what has happened in your games with the new rules that you think is different from the old rules.

I'm only a beginner, but I see the Necropolis being able to play more of a swarm style offensive since the Skeletal Swordsmen are so cheap. I like that idea as I feel it captures the fluff of the undead.

I also like the splitting of the Crusaders Faction SA. Very interesting to see how easy that will be to actually pull off in a game.

Wait, are the new cards, etc. out!? Or are you talking about the samples posted in the other thread?

OK, thanks.

Immediate reaction: GOBLIN MAGE ON CYCLOPS?!??

"Who runs Bartertown?" :;):

Have to say I really like this, on first glance. Will have to try a few games to make sure, but it ought to be interesting.

It really should give more of a skirmish feel to it, rather than the stripped-down armies game we have been playing.

Major kudos on changes to Flyer, Defensive Magic, and First Strike - this rocks!

cristo...

I personally use AB3, but I have a friend that uses AB 2 and from what I understand, he has pretty much already put all this into it. I should see him on Wednesday night. I will ask him there.

On the Crusaders, I have to admit I have mixed reactions on it. I can understand the need for a change as it was a bit overpowered in its previous form. But, even tho I am not really a Crusader player, I still think it needs some tweaking. I like the idea of being able to use the high DIS solos and elites to be able to convert things. Heck, that is half the reason of taking them. I also dont like that the SA becomes a series of "if this and that and the other thing" type setup. My initial thoughts are, it is going to be kinda like the Reptus SA in that due to the requirements of its use, it wont be able to be used all that much at all. At least compared to things like paincage, bane, sokar is near, etc... Yes, those other SAs are weaker than they were before, but still useable by anyone and dont require actions. But, as has been correctly told to me, that is why this is still in beta and needs us to playtest it to make sure. I can have all sorts of kneejerk reactions to things (of which, believe me I have), but I have noticed that after playtesting some of them, some my reactions were way off target. So, for now I will just say that I need to playtest convert more before I go any further with my kneejerking.

cristo...

I personally use AB3, but I have a friend that uses AB 2 and from what I understand, he has pretty much already put all this into it. I should see him on Wednesday night. I will ask him there.

Please do, I already had to update the very lacking original files when the updated units came out, and then again for version 1.2, I'm not exactly looking forward to doing it again...

I still haven't figured out how to get cavalry to count like they should (if they still do, stupid work computer, not letting me unzip files...)

<snip>

On the Crusaders, <Snip>. I also dont like that the SA becomes a series of "if this and that and the other thing" type setup. <snip>

Addressing this specifically, until now the most recent and legal version of mercy took A Column And A Half to explain correctly. I think, personally, it was a LOT more complicated before.

Addressing this specifically, until now the most recent and legal version of mercy took A Column And A Half to explain correctly. I think, personally, it was a LOT more complicated before

I guess for me its not a question of complexity, its a question of useability. Until the recent cut in half of the points cost per model, in my playtesting, I could only fit 1-2 leaders in my builds unless I was really trying hard. So, it was not very hard for an enemy to simpy target those 1-2 models and make sure to get rid of them first and therefore negate my ability to use the FACTION special ability. That and having it require an invoke action means that the model has to have an action left to use it. Which most of the time it doesnt because it used its two actions in charging and attacking in the first place. Then you have to rely on the target model still being there when your next activation comes up:

1. the opponent could win initiative and cast a cure4 on that model.

2. the opponent could win init and break and run, forcing me to use more actions to try and accomplish it.

3. the opponent could win init and attack me getting some free swings as dont want to swing back because I was going to convert him.

Instead, I would probably say to heck with it and just go ahead and kill him. But, then that lowers the value of my FACTION ability.

I capitalize FACTION, because to me, that is what it is suppose to be a faction ability, not a couple of models ability.

But, again, this is the kneejerk reaction. I really do want to playtest more and try and help the developers determine whether it needs tweaking or not.

Oh my - Frogpile the enemy model with Templar Warriors, overkill him, and leave him on his last DT due to Mercy. Leader waltzes in, offers mercy - almost auto-convert for mid-range elites and leaders.

First I would like to say I'm loving the changes. I think all of these changes really show that Warlord is here for the long run and are serious about kicking in the miniature gaming door.

I can't wait to play with these stats in a tournament setting, it's going to be awesome.

Here are some of my gripes with the new rules currently:

**edit: I some how got my Rage Chronicles confused with one of the other ones when looking at spells. The spell prices were reduced, so this item is actually null and void**

When they reduced the cost of the models by half, I think some things were over looked. At first in the beta, spells were DIRT cheap compared to the very expensive casters. Now that models(and game size) have been cut in half, the spells seem very expensive again, this means that cheap casters are back to where they were before.

I suggest cutting all the spell prices in half, just like we did with the models. And spells that currently cost 5 points, should be FREE.

Allowing the models to fill up on free crappy spells would be awesome, it would make spell casting happen pretty often. The spells still have their Grade 1, so the casters can only take so many of them.

**end edit**

Some Ranged bonus synergies don't seem to be pointed correctly. I'm looking at you Slow Fire, Sure Shot, Defensive Shot, and High DV!

Disable seems way underpriced. Wardogs(25pts) getting ahold of those 300 pt models and bringing them to their knees is going to get ugly real fast. It's going to force everyone to include Disable models and take away MAs all day, which is never fun.

I'll include the positive stuff too:

I <3 Out Rider.

I <3 All the new large Adepts.

I <3 being able to use the models I bought for looks, now that they have game worthy stats.

I <3 everything in the Darkspawn faction.

I <3 actually hitting models when I take my attacks.

I <3 Cavalry being able to rock the table.

I <3 U.

.........That and having it require an invoke action means that the model has to have an action left to use it. Which most of the time it doesnt because it used its two actions in charging and attacking in the first place.

But if the leader attacked, he can't use an invoke action anyway......

Mercy needed a re-work real bad with the new data cards. The Lion's Lancers were so nasty with the old style mercy I'm afraid to take them back to my shop. There is all sorts of talk about torches, hammers, and even C-4 being used if they show up on the table again! I think they will be much more balanced with the new version, but it's still going to be a while before I'm brave enough to put them on the table..... :unsure:

Castlebuilder