Foundations Citadel Paints

Vinny

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried them for a day down at the local GW bunker. They do cover pretty much like they say, although red and yellow still require two coats. And they are thicker very much like Vallejo Model Color. They dry much faster than VMC or even regular Citadel colors, and the bottle design is even worse than normal if you ask me. This is all just my opinion however.

Something was said about the thickness of vallejo paints and yes the Game Color is very thin, but Model Color requires some thinning before you can really use it.

Cheers!

James

• Reaper User

I'm intending to take a stroll down to the local GW store and check 'em out, but yes, these sound like GW's answer to Vallejo in the Coverage Wars. :;):

I never really understood the point of all that, since I always thin my paints for basecoating anyhow...but I know a bunch of GW gaming fanatics who are probably really happy to get their one-coat basecoats finally without having to look outside of their GW store. Ah well!

--Anne ::):

I never really understood the point of all that, since I always thin my paints for basecoating anyhow...but I know a bunch of GW gaming fanatics who are probably really happy to get their one-coat basecoats finally without having to look outside of their GW store. Ah well!

Hey, it's from GW, it's got to be good, right? :rolleyes:

To be honest, there is probably a large group of GW fanatics who don't know that there are other types of mini paints, not having seen anything but GW paints in their GW store or even in a non corporate game store (since they'll mostly carry GW paints if any).

I think that the new line is a good move on GW's part since there are probably a large portion of gamers (GW or otherwise), that are perfectly happy with slapping 3 colors on a mini just so that they can play. If they can do so and get coverage in one coat, that's all that they want. Hopefully, some will start to really enjoy the painting aspect and then start looking around beyond GW.

Ron

I'm intending to take a stroll down to the local GW store and check 'em out, but yes, these sound like GW's answer to Vallejo in the Coverage Wars.

LMAO picturing Anne in a trenchcoat, dark glasses and a big hat, snooping around the aisles of the shop...

• Reaper User

Heck no! Even though I was made Excommunicatus (yes, they really call it that) when I went to work for Reaper, remember I used to work at Games Workshop HQ in Glen Burnie, MD, and have won two Golden Demons. I used to be on great terms with the guys at the shop, though now I think there's only one left I know now--ahhh, retail turnover. ::):

You want heresy, I even still own my GW corporate polo shirts...

--Anne :;):

I popped into the GW store not too long ago, because it'd been a few days since a geek picked up on my girlness and stalked me through a hobby store. One of the clerks was hellbent on showing me his latest work while the other was talking about the foundation paints. They looked really thick in that little pot, let me tell you. But, like others have said, some GW freaks only want GW product. My LGS almost stopped carrying other brands of paint because of that. Sigh. Boys. :rolleyes:

I popped into the GW store not too long ago, because it'd been a few days since a geek picked up on my girlness and stalked me through a hobby store. One of the clerks was hellbent on showing me his latest work while the other was talking about the foundation paints. They looked really thick in that little pot, let me tell you. But, like others have said, some GW freaks only want GW product. My LGS almost stopped carrying other brands of paint because of that. Sigh. Boys. :rolleyes:

I'm blessed to live in an area with two fairly large game stores. There used to be three, but one was recently bought out by one of the others. There is a third Games Store in the next county down, and I believe one in St. Augustine now as well. We also have a HobbyTown that opened recently, Hobby Oasis, Hobby Lobby, and other more generic Arts & Crafts stores like Michaels.

Both of the game stores within the Jacksonville City Limits carry multiple lines of paint. They have Citadel, P3 (box sets only), RMS, and VGC. Both have cancelled the RPP lines and have only a few bottles left. One of them has a smattering of VMC, mostly boxed sets.

The store in Orange Park is fairly new and carries only GW. It would be cool if he carried VMC, since no one else has a complete stock and he does a lot of historical models. Still, over 200 paints plus the rack is a big investment for a small start-up.

The stores will stock what people ask for. You can always create demand for a product by letting people see you use it. If you are "hanging out" at your LGS using RMS paints, people will show an interest. If there is enough interest, the store will keep the product.