My first Skeleton and first attempt at free-hand!

CYCLOPS

My first attempt at a Skelelton as well as free-hand - an octopus on the shield. Given I can't draw to save my life and it was my first attempt, I left the octopus without facial features. When I tried to paint facial features, the central of the shield sort of made it look like he had a large nose. A plain representation seemed to work better.

I also found it easier to paint the octopus and then black ink outline. Speaking of which, I sort of fell (no pun intended) into painting the skeletons sword by adding black ink to the tips and thought it might look like a sword is being held so I did an outline. Looks better, I think, than holding a plain silver sword. Additionally, I painted over the shield quite a few times as I don't have a steady hand!

I used the Reaper bone triad and that helped me quite a bit. I'll need to practise a bit more on blending but the Skeleton came out better than I would have thought.

Enjoy!

post-3580-1176860369_thumb.jpg

post-3580-1176860389_thumb.jpg

post-3580-1176860407_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heeeeyyyyy!!!!

I thought everyone's first skeleton was supposed to be either white dry brushed on black - or white with a dark brown/black ink wash... Obviously you didn't get the memo.

Seriously though - excellent job... Great blacklining. And my fit of pure jealousy prevents me from speaking of your freehand work.

I'll just end up crying and saying how its not fair that you are so good and I am so bad...

Great job.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "That looks like he's jumping right out of Clash of the Titans!" Yes, that's a compliment of the highest order from me.

Your base looks great and I really love the octopus on that shield. In fact I just love the shield in general. This is skeleton fit for the wrath of gods!

I got that "clash of the titans" thought about this one as well. It almost could be from the movie. And yes, that is a huge compliment!! This is excellent work mate. I am glad to see that you kept at the octopus and did not let it beat you. Your finished product looks excellent!

I have to say, when I first saw the topic title here, I thought, "Freehand? On a skeleton?!?" Of course, I didn't know there was a shield involved. That was some funny speculating while I waited for the topic to load!

That freehand is pretty awesome, especially with the blacklining on the octopus. Very nice.

The skelly is also pretty spectacular, especially if it's your first walking bagobones. Really nice definition there.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "That looks like he's jumping right out of Clash of the Titans!" Yes, that's a compliment of the highest order from me.

Your base looks great and I really love the octopus on that shield. In fact I just love the shield in general. This is skeleton fit for the wrath of gods!

Hey, don't forget Harryhausen's "Jason and the Argonauts" :) - world's greatest Skeleton fight scene!

Good job with the darklining on the freehand. That can be super tricky. But it definatly makes it stand out.

seriously it takes it from "blue-octo-noob-blob" to "well-exicuted,this guy has done this before-freehanding".

Hey, don't forget Harryhausen's "Jason and the Argonauts" :) - world's greatest Skeleton fight scene!

This is exactly what I was thinking! Great job for the 1st time. I also like the colors you chose as well.