Superbases

The super base was never much of an issue before being only on the dragon which was a senario based monster. Now however we have the Reptus Hydra. Not only does the circular base look out of place among my square based troops (asthetics are important too ::P: ) but I know that before long the legal base to base contact issue will come up again. A 3.5" floppy disk has virtually the same ( 3/4" difference) circumference and is square. I think Reaper may want to look into this as the Super base standard for consistancy. At the very least its worth looking at.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that when I have played that model, I have used a CD case that is not those huge hard plastic ones, but these gell plastic ones that are almost square and just slightly larger than CDs (by a couple mm) cause I want to be able to use the mode offensivley and not just defensively. With a round base it is only possible to get 2 models in b2b at the same time from a charge. Yes you can have more come at you but if you want to take it to the enemy, its really tough.

Now other people would ask why would you want to put mor than 2 at a time when it will take all 5 attacks to take people out with the increased tracks. Well, yes that is true sometimes and in those times I might not charge a bunch, but when you start looking at the fact that reven can get 25 goblins for the same cost, yes i am gonna want to be as pro active as possible. Plus, even against any grunt that does not have warmaster and is not immune to poison (man... yet another thing that undead is immune to), I am gonna want to spread out the hurt.

The round base made it quite anoying when trying to base other models, at most you could get 2 regualy (I had one case where i got 3) but when you have something that big you'll want it to be able to base as many as posably, the hydra has up to 10 attacks each causeing poison against goblins or other low point models thats and entire edge worthe dead. I like very much to see it changed to a square, for the above reasons and for any future models that size without 360.

Let's not forget that the rulebook also states that for a valid BtB contact for attacking you must have the flat side of your base touching the model you are attacking. A CD doesn't have a flat side. I just really feel that keeping the square bases helps keep the continuity of the army's look as well. All those square bases with this one giant round one just looks out of place.