expert opinion needed

Hello,

I'm thinking of affordable primer brands to bring in for my customers, and I was wondering if the floquil figure primer is of good quality. I'm looking for something that is forgiving and doesn't obsure detail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James Penny

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of affordable primer brands to bring in for my customers, and I was wondering if the floquil figure primer is of good quality. I'm looking for something that is forgiving and doesn't obsure detail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that Floquil was the primer of choice for Anne, et al, until they tried the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.

I personally like Duplicolor Sandable Primer, but it's usually only available from auto parts stores, and I don't know if they have any distributors who would work with a game shop. I like Duplicolor because it covers well, is $5 for a large can, is very forgiving, and does not obscure detail.

Ron

I'm a BIG fan of Krylon Flat White.

I won't offer an expert opinion...but I'll offer mine.

Like Kelcore---I think Krylon is awsome primer. Around 3-4 bucks per can retail---

I personally use Tamiya---which is superior in finish to the Krylon----but at half the size and three times the cost (8-9 bucks per can).

The Krylon is easier to work with--and is more forgiving than the Tamiya (IMHO)---and will work just fine under competition/hobby paint jobs.

The Tamiya's superior finish is the same thing that causes some folks problems----extra care must be taken during the prep stages---the Tamiya seems to react with skin oils more readily than the Krylon and shows "bad prep work" more readily than Krylon. Also, under some less-than-ideal conditions, the Tamiya will create a surface so smooth it doesn't have any "tooth"---and the paint won't stick. Also, more care must be taken in the distancing of the can--the finer particles of the tamiya seem to dry faster in mid-air--potentially causing an over-spray condition. Generally, all I've had to worry about with Krylon is the humidity--anything more than 50% and the primer can be adversely affected---I keep a barometer on my spray booth, so I can test the ideal conditions of my spray products.

Like I said..just one man's opinion.

Kev

I started using Krylon after GW upped the price to 8.99 a can for their primer. I have yet to try the Tamiya Primer but am going too one of these days. My experience with the Floquil is that the formula isn't consistant. I've had several cans that apllied absolutely perfect and the next would be a combo of patchy and would dry glossy...arrrrgh. I stopped using it after that.

I recently had an opportunity to test Krylon against GW's (both white) primer while prepping 100 mini's for a paint and take.

Krylon compared very well, both in coverage and texture. Both went on a bit pebbly but I think that was user error...spraying 50 minis on a pretty warm day, I think I let the cans stray a bit further from the targets than recommended. For the price, Krylon is great.

For my personal work, I've been using Floquil Gray. I've heard of recent problems and I'm about to purchase a new can soon, so my opinions may change, but on the whole, I've always been happy with it (although I wouldn't call it cheap).

I've tried Duplicolor and found that it rubbed off quite easily. I'm hoping I didn't get a bad batch. It just seemed much more delicate than I would have hoped.

Just my $.02 ::):

Thanks

AWhang

My last can of Floquil white was bad. I used to use it for nearly all of my minis, but haven't bought it since based on my bad can and what I heard from Reaper HQ (from Anne and others).

So far, I've been happy with my first can of Tamiya. I still need to get some Duplicolor for the larger scale resin kits.

• Artists

In the past Floquil was my preferred brand, and I had had poor luck trying others. I'm still using it, but as I brush prime more often than not I haven't had to purchase a can for some time. I used to work at a game store, and we had a customer bring a can of it back, which I inherited. I had assumed user error (there are lots of days it's too humid to prime here), but when I tried it it was really runny and just not like the other cans I'd had. That sounds different from the problem Goldeneagle mentioned, so I'm not sure if that was just a fluke bad batch or confirmation of the formula has changed theory.

I've just started working on a couple of minis primed with the Tamiya, bought a can of that after hearing all the good reviews here. It seemed to have a much finer spray, I think if I'd sprayed the same amount with the Floquil I'd have drowned the minis. Maintains detail nicely and has a nice smooth surface. It seems a bit more plasticey. When I scraped a bit off here and there to pick out a dust chunk or repair something I'd missed I felt like I needed to use brush primer over the bare spots not just to get a good painting surface, but also to fill in the area so there were no ridges. Might have been being overcautious, though, as these are hopefully contest minis.