Dungeon & Dragon Magazines gone by August

haldir

Dragon & Dungeon Magazines cease to exist by August

sad day for me, as I read both & have for the longest time (really the only I didn't was when I got out of gaming after I graduated high school & got back into D&D when 3.0 came out.

hopefully this isn't a mistake on Wizards part, I don't mind pdfs or online reading but you can't replace a book or magazine, even if you print it out, just no comparison!!!

hopefully Paizo & Wizard's next efforts are worth the trouble of killing the 2 mags that have been around almost as old as D&D itself.

& this guy Scott Rouse,Senior Brand Manager of Dungeons & Dragons®, Wizards of the Coast is a complete moron, must have been brought up strictly a online gamer/online rpger & not have a heart of a pencil & paper rpger. Sad indeed..

RM

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragon & Dungeon cease to exist by August

sad day for me, as I read both & have for the longest time (really the only I didn't was when I got out of gaming after I graduated high school & got back into D&D when 3.0 came out.

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that - it does sound like "the end of an era". I wonder if we will see something like this from White Dwarf in a couple of years.

I have a big box of Dragon mags in the attic from the old (old.. old..) days. :down:

H

I will admit thou, the Paizo replacement Pathfinder series is sounding like something I'm gonna try & like, epically if the 1st issue is chock full of Wayne Reynold's artwork (pretty good deal if you subscribe). As I really like the Adventure Path series they've put out the last few years.

RM

Just saw this by going to Order of the Stick and then checked the Paizo site.

I'm shocked and disappointed. Not that I can blame them for wanting to go online. I love Dungeon. The Adventure Paths are great, and other adventures are generally rock solid. I just like reading them.

I hope Pathfinder is a success, but I don't know if I'll pick it up yet.

::(:

Not that I can blame them for wanting to go online.

Why?

This is saying to the D&D community, "we're going to do this on the cheap." But beyond that, Paizo was licensing the product. LICENSING. It was FREE MONEY.

I think this is an appallingly bad decision (AND I just renewed my subscription!) and speaks negatively of the brand. This definitely seems to be a "Corporate Bean Counter" decision.

Damon.

Why?

This is saying to the D&D community, "we're going to do this on the cheap." But beyond that, Paizo was licensing the product. LICENSING. It was FREE MONEY.

I think this is an appallingly bad decision (AND I just renewed my subscription!) and speaks negatively of the brand. This definitely seems to be a "Corporate Bean Counter" decision.

Damon.

Agreed! I dropped D&D after 3.0. I refused to re-buy all their 3.0 books now for 3.5. I did still occasionally pick up Dungeon. Great magazine! I am very glad I stopped supporting this company.

Anthony

Why?

Damon.

Oh, I agree totally. But I can understand economic decisions, especially money-grubbing ones like this that are easy to make. They lose the goodwill of some (me & you) but since they'll have people buying whatever the online product is with virtually no overhead, they expect a bigger profit than the licensing fee. I don't like it, but I understand it.

And truly, if they publish some online adventures from some of the Dungeon contributors I really like (like the Styes guy and the dude that did the Istvin campaign arc) I'd probably buy it.

Sure, I can search a pdf much faster than I can flip through the magazine. But you know, taking a copy of an article for my GM (or group) on a flash drive or a CD, and hoping that there is a computer where will be gaming (which is almost certainly the case, but we could all forget or break our laptops or something) is just an extra level of annoyance.

It's the passing of an era. I just came back to the d20 juggernaut, and this happens. :(

This is sad. Sounds like another way to cut expenses. The excuse that people go online or rather have electronic versions of this information is just an excuse to cover corporate decisions based on executives who know nothing of the fandom or hobby. I'm sorry, you can't take a PDF with you on the bus, train or in the can. Magazines are great for many reasons--portability is one of them!

I'm wondering if its Paizo. I have subscribed to the Star Wars Insider for a decade which was published by them at one time then shifted to IDG and now has gone to Titan. I wonder if magazine publication is a rollercoaster market.

Having been directly involved with the production of a small fanzine for railroad games I know how hard putting a magazine together is especially month after month. However cheaper it may be to produce the electronic version you will lose a significant portion of your readership (not everyone has a computer, hard to believe but true) and despite the intense work necessary to put it out there is nothing like the satisfaction of seeing the latest issue roll off the presses.

This is one of those decisions that I do not understand at all, nothing keeps the interest up in a game, any game like a monthly magazine and this is the first major game publication that has decided to go this route. I remember the first issue I ever bought, #12 with an excerpt from Quag Keep by Andre Norton in it. Like SPI another icon of the gaming industry is gone (or will be soon).