Mregh. Help.

beanie

I don't even know where to look anymore. I would like to know what I can get for flow improver and WHERE I can find it in Southern California? There are no Hobby Lobbies here. Also, where can I buy future floor wax down here? I don't see it anywhere.

When people mix their gunk or what have you, do you guys throw it in with your paints right in the bottles/pots, or do you mix up gunk separate, or what? I feel like I'm having trouble comprehending this and I really don't understand why it's not computing. :down:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know what I can get for flow improver and WHERE I can find it in Southern California? There are no Hobby Lobbies here. Also, where can I buy future floor wax down here? I don't see it anywhere.

The Reaper MSP line has a flow improver, so your local gaming store can order it if they don't normally carry it. You can also find Liquitex Flow Aid at Michael's or an art supply house. If you get the Liquitex stuff, remember to dilute it first (according to the instructions on the bottle) before use.

Future Floor Wax should be available at Walmart, Target, or even your local grocery store.

When people mix their gunk or what have you, do you guys throw it in with your paints right in the bottles/pots, or do you mix up gunk separate, or what?

I mix up the gunk separately and then put it in a spare MSP bottle (you can order empties from Reaper).

Ron

I keep my gunk in a big squeezable condiment bottle. It has got measured lines on the side to help with the ratios for mixing, and a wee little opening at the top so I can add it to whatever I am doing in a really controlled manner. If you are using MSPs avoid using Future as they don't play well together IIRC. And 'splurge' on distilled water for all of your mixing... Water does wierd things when it comes from a tap.

Any craft store that carries paint (Do you have Micheal's down there?) should have flow improver... Big ol' jar that you dilute so it will last you about 348 years... Unless you are like me and tend to be very wasteful.

I'm in SoCal too and I have a Blick's near me. They carry Golden Acrylic Flow Improver which I am going to pick up because I have to get Reaper paints via mail and I want to use it this weekend ::):. I had a bad experience with Future (got mine at WalMart) and Master Series Paints on my first mini, I won't be using it again. I plan on having a bottle of pre-mixed gunk on hand.

I think part of your question is why painters use gunk. From what I've read it's to affect the behavior of the paint as it leaves the brush and travels on the mini. Flow improvers break the surface tension of water, allowing the paint to flow into deeper crevices without pooling on higher levels. Right now I'll be using my gunk to thin paints down for my washes. Then I'll be questing for the perfect blend of flow improver, water and matte medium for my layering.

EDIT: This Brushthralls article and this article from The Craft I think explain flow improvers, extenders and retarders pretty well.

Beanie,

If you can find the Flow Improver, get yourself some extender at the same time. This will mean you can leave out getting the future floor wax. I don't know if you're a brush licker (not a derogitory term I promise) but if you are, I don't think Future is good eats.

Jo-Anns is another crafts outlet that might have what you need. A good art supply store (are you near a college or university?) will also be a great place to find everything from Brushes to additives.

I'm also in SoCal, but much nearer to LA so I've got a fair selection of Hobby Shops and Art Stores near (if you call 35mi near). If you really can't find something and don't want to go through the internet, drop me a PM and I'll root around for you.

BTW, swap meets are great for dental picks, cheap drill bits, files, twist drill handles...just look for the obligatory "tool guy" stall.

Thanks

AWhang