Cold Navy (merged threads)

tabascojunkie

It appears after all this time, Damage Control Games has decided, a while ago apparently, to not even use the Cold Navy minis. Do they not want the money that was guaranteed by selling these even if they didn't use them for their own game? Just gotta wonder. A lot of people are rabidly waiting for those ships to come back in production.

Lookie here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily I have all of the ships that were produced before Xtreme Hobby sold them. No telling when we'll see new ships for the existing fleets, or the Deisho ships that were ready for release, if we ever do.

I grudgingly echo a sentiment that was heard quite a bit about another subject, "Do these people not want money?" Not to repeat myself, but the Cold Navy stuff gave them guaranteed customers, first rattle out of the hat. We all know around here how hard a new game can be to get started, even from an established company. But a new set of starship rules when there's so many out already with new minis from a new company with no experience as a game company? And, again, with a product already in hand that gave them guaranteed customers?

I don't get it.

Gah! I was waiting for the re-release of Cold Navy too!

Seriously, sit on a popular license only to produce yet another rules set which the public doesn't want or need, inferior ships (have you seen them?!? They look ridiculous!) and NOT release the ships the public has been waiting for? Great business plan, morons! [/rant]

On a brighter note, several in the community have sent inquiries to them about taking over the CN license. One of which (and the one I'm pulling for most) is Ken Burnside, from AdAstra Games, producers of Power Projection and the new Traveller fleets!

Gah! I was waiting for the re-release of Cold Navy too!

Seriously, sit on a popular license only to produce yet another rules set which the public doesn't want or need, inferior ships (have you seen them?!? They look ridiculous!) and NOT release the ships the public has been waiting for? Great business plan, morons! [/rant]

I was being polite, but yeah, that's pretty much my feelings about.

Hopefully Ad Astra can do something, considering they're an experienced company. That is, if [paranoid conspiracy mode on] DGC didn't just buy the Cold Navy line to take some of the best competition off the market and now won't sell it to anyone, and did so just to make their name known. [Paranoid Conspiracy Mode off.]

I doubt that's it (fingers crossed). DCG claimed in that thread that they would gladly listen to offers to buy the line.

As for the free publicity, I can think of just about ANY other method of getting you name recognized than their way. j/k :rolleyes:

**Edit** As to the tone of my original post...I was on the fence about posting here when that irate. As I've gotten older, I like to think I've gotten more experienced if not level-headed about posting angry/inflammatory messages. However, the sheer idiocy of this DCG's actions leaves me pitiless for them. They to me have jumped the shark before getting out the starting gate.

I think there is a tendency with some companies to develop their own rules, despite the fact there are a number of well established rule sets in that genre under the notion "Our rules are different and special and everyone will love them".

Sometimes this happens, mostly it doesn't. It seems to fail most whena rules company decides to produce miniatures, or a miniatures company decides to produce rules. Usually it does one well, and the other is pretty ugly.

Maybe if we're really lucky a certain company in Denton, TX would happen to pick up said molds......

They may have had the molds at one point in time: I'm pretty sure that Reaper does casting for some other companies as well. Reaper has to pick up the license.

Along those lines, I think that I read somewhere that Reaper is casting the new Traveller ships.

Ron