Cold Navy (merged threads)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if we're really lucky a certain company in Denton, TX would happen to pick up said molds......

Wow, instant Imperator!

Those DCG ships are unique, and I can't understand the thinking at all. Unless the Cold Navy molds are in worse shape then everyone realizes.

IIRC Ad Astra (the ones that do the Honor Harrington game and the Traveller ships) gets their minis via contract casting with Reaper.

:blink: <insert appropriate Scooby-Doo sound here>

I did not know this! I have two sets of each of the Traveller fleets on order...I am so frickin' excited now!

IIRC Ad Astra (the ones that do the Honor Harrington game and the Traveller ships) gets their minis via contract casting with Reaper.

That's true. Emmel Eitch and I talked about that at the Asylum once. He said next time they made any he'd have some for me to see, but schedules not co-inciding and blah, blah, blah,..............

Maybe if we're really lucky a certain company in Denton, TX would happen to pick up said molds......

Wow, instant Imperator!

Those DCG ships are unique, and I can't understand the thinking at all. Unless the Cold Navy molds are in worse shape then everyone realizes.

"Unique" is definitely one way to describe them.

Even if the molds are that bad off, they have the masters (and 3D files if the masters are jacked up) to make new ones.

I was just trying to think why not reissue minis you have control of and that people want. If they have the masters then it's even more puzzling.

Wasn't there a rumor on SCN that they didn't have the masters or molds, and they were still the property of the caster?

Also, anyone recognize the DGC bases? I think I've seen them before, but I can't place 'em. Litko?

Just seems like another weird part of a weird line?

There's something about the process that Jeff Valent, the caster Mike Hardy used, that somehow bypasses the silver master step. His molds are proprietary technology, and not the same as the molds that Reaper or other "normal" mini casters use. So it would do no good for someone else to have his molds.

Eh, it's not rocket science. Low Temperature Vulcanizing Silicone rubber molds are available for spincasting. You can vulc right from 3D prints with them, and pewter casts fine.

Castaldo VLT for jewelry size molds ( works great! )

Nicem Green for spincast molds.

It's slightly more expensive than organic rubber molds, buuut, far far cheaper than getting 3d prints investment cast in silver first.