Airbrush questions

dargrin

Newbie to the airbrush world. I was considering getting one but not sure if it's worth it for what I do. I would mainly be using for base color work I suppose for standard minis.

1. How much paint does it really use? I have no idea how fast this would use up paint.
  2. Is there a minimum that it requires?
  3. Would I have to buy a second set of paint bottles just for the Airbrush?
  4. Do you have to store paint seperately in different containers?
  5. What is a real quiet version?
  6. What is a good AirBrush? I am not looking for cheap quality here.

Thanks guys. I know this is allot of questions.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much paint-

You will use more than handbrushing, even if it's just for the fact that it's hard to mix up just a couple of drops for airbrush use. But at the same time, use your paint on several projects at the same time. If your priming minis, then do several of them at one time, i.e., all your Warlord grunts at once to minimize the waste on that 15 drops of paint you just used.

As for questions #3 and 4, you don't need separate bottles because you don't want to keep pre-thinned paint for airbrush use. the paint will break down after awhile. Just mix your thinner and paint in the airbrush as you're ready to use it.

A quiet version-

That depends on the compressor, not the airbrush. I have a Paasche D200 that's not too loud, I don't think you can hear it much in my house through the garage wall, and you can barely hear it at the end of the driveway so I know it doesn't bother the neighbors. In an apartment it would probably be different, though. But unless you've got a big industrial, 5 gallon compressor that's meant for running nail guns and air tools, anything that's intended for airbrush use shouldn't be too intrusive.

They do make "silent" compressors that get expensive, starting at a few hundred bucks I believe. They use the same type of compressor that a refrigerator uses, so you know how loud that is.

Hope this helps, ask more if you need. There are several around here that use them.

Also, back on the subject of paint, there are some paint lines that are ready to airbrush straight from the bottle. Vallejo Model Air is one, though it's mostly military colors.

And Testor's Model Master Acryl series too. They have really good white and grey primers. I still thin them just a little bit with the Acryl brand thinner though.

Dargrin,

I haven't had much time to play with mine yet, but I got a gravity feed Iwata HPCS. I picked up a $70 harbor freight compressor. It's worked well and is quite. It has a regulator and moister trap and some suction feet.

Before I knew how to use it I was blowing paint at 60 psi and nothing was sticking :).. I can run it between 10 and 20, but I'm still painting Warlord stuff and havn't gotten to the cav's yet...

For ease of clean up and variable use I recommend the Testor Aztec. I personally love this brush, for what you are looking for it would work great. In the twenty (gosh I feel old now) plus years I have been airbrushing, this is the only model I own multiples of, 4 at last count. As far as compressors go, get whatever is the quietest and least expensive for where you live. When I was going to college and staying at my mothers house, I had a 1 hp 8 gallon work horse. It is way to noisy for the apartment I live in now. I am currently looking for a new one, as my old small compressor just died. Also look around at you local art/craft stores, they will sometimes have classes on airbrushes, even if you don't take them, you could try to contact the instructor with any questions.

For ease of clean up and variable use I recommend the Testor Aztec. I personally love this brush, for what you are looking for it would work great. In the twenty (gosh I feel old now) plus years I have been airbrushing, this is the only model I own multiples of, 4 at last count. As far as compressors go, get whatever is the quietest and least expensive for where you live. When I was going to college and staying at my mothers house, I had a 1 hp 8 gallon work horse. It is way to noisy for the apartment I live in now. I am currently looking for a new one, as my old small compressor just died. Also look around at you local art/craft stores, they will sometimes have classes on airbrushes, even if you don't take them, you could try to contact the instructor with any questions.

I think you are the first person I've ever heard say something good about the Aztek airbrushes. Most people I talked to had nothing but problems (they moved on to Iwata or Badger after their Aztek experiences).

I think you are the first person I've ever heard say something good about the Aztek airbrushes. Most people I talked to had nothing but problems (they moved on to Iwata or Badger after their Aztek experiences).

They are a great product. It does have a bit of a learning curve with the extra dial on it, but after you learn that they are a great product. I will try and bring a jacket I did with one of them to GP next time I go up so you can see what they are capable of. I guess it also helps that I had previous experience with airbrushes, but I have introduced a few people to them as their starting brush and they love them also.

I do have a brush or two from all the major manufacturers of different brushes, but for the way I work the Aztec fit the best. I do have an Iwata micron, while I love that brush for it's extremely smooth lines and extremely fine detail but, I am clumsy and dropping that one could cost me 200 for a brand new head assembly. If I drop an Aztec, some paint escapes and I may have to pay 15 for a new head.

Also I can shoot acetone through the Aztec, something I would never try with any other brush out there. But that was part of a painting style I really don't do anymore.

The major factor for me though, was ease of cleaning. I hated cleaning a regular brush, all those little piece. I have a sink that ate about 7 cones in the course of two weeks (luckily I worked at an art store at the time) , so with the aztec all I have to do is run my solvent through it till it comes out clean, then use the provided tool to ream out a couple of holes and I am done.

Besides, you meet me in person, do I look like I would like anything normal ::D::;):

Thanks. This gives me an idea how fast I will be burning through my MSP.

It would almost appear that I would need to double up on the amount of paint that I currently have if I wanted to use an airbrush.

And it takes a little while to get used to using the trigger and controlling how much paint comes out. With a little practice you'll be less heavy-handed and use less paint.

And one really important one I'll say is that after you crank the pressure up to about 40 psi to blow cleaner through your brush, don't forget to turn it back down. That makes you go through paint real quick, with horrible results.

I've used a lot of different airbrushes in my time (coming from Armor modeling, Badgers up to Azteks) and I've recently settled on an older Iwata HP-c (this URL takes you to the cplus, click the fourth image) and this Paasche AB.

Although reading up on the Paasche AB made it sound really confusing to operate, I found suggestions for some of the settings that make the thing simpler to use than anything else I've found. I'm able to paint panel lines on Gundams, and subtle panel fades. The great thing (besides quick clean-up) is that you can paint with 1 or 2 drops of thinned paint. It's made for fine work (originally photo touch-up before the digital days I'm told).

Plus, the fact that it sounds like a dental tool is an added bonus :;):

I found my older used one and bought extra needles on ebay.

Thanks

AWhang