Airbrush questions

dargrin

Yes, the Paasche AB is called a Turbine airbrush, in which a very small needle rapidly goes in and out, dipping into paint, and spraying minute amounts. It was (and still is, in certain applications) used for photo touch-up, thus the need for extreme precision...

I never used a turbine, but I would be interested in what sort of paints you're moving through that thing? I can't imagine heavy-bodied paints (such used in hobby work) would be suitable for that thing...

Damon.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Paasche AB is called a Turbine airbrush, in which a very small needle rapidly goes in and out, dipping into paint, and spraying minute amounts. It was (and still is, in certain applications) used for photo touch-up, thus the need for extreme precision...

I never used a turbine, but I would be interested in what sort of paints you're moving through that thing? I can't imagine heavy-bodied paints (such used in hobby work) would be suitable for that thing...

Damon.

As Bilesuck says, as long as it's thinned it seems to work fine.

I use mostly model acrylics (Pactra, testors, Floquil). I have not tried my recent tiny collection of MSPs or RPPs, but I suspect they'd do fine as well.

Thanks

AWhang

Damon.

As Bilesuck says, as long as it's thinned it seems to work fine.

I use mostly model acrylics (Pactra, testors, Floquil). I have not tried my recent tiny collection of MSPs or RPPs, but I suspect they'd do fine as well.

Thanks

AWhang

How thin is thin? Does it give you some sort of guide for this? I would hate to get it and then spend an hour or so unfowling the thing.

How thin is thin? Does it give you some sort of guide for this? I would hate to get it and then spend an hour or so unfowling the thing.

I thinned until it was the consistency of a light wash. This was advantageous to me as I was also going for an effect that was subtle (read...many passes). I wouldn't expect to be able to do single coats over black type airbrushing with this brush (thin lines, thin paint).

The lucky thing is, not much to "unfowl". The paint reservoir is an open dish, wipe with a cotton swap soaked in airbrush thinner. Pull the needle and carefully wipe that with a cotton ball soaked with airbrush thinner. Check around the brush for any spots of paint...wipe with cotton ball. Pop needle back in and put a drop or two of new color in, start spraying.

When I first got mine, I had to fiddle with the air pressure, but that was difficult only because my compressor is old, direct to the brush (no tank reserve) and I didn't know what I was doing. I'm not sure what my pressure is set at now...I only know that I found a sweet spot and left it alone :rolleyes:

Thanks

AWhang