dremel bits

fieldarchy

Hey Everyone,

I have a dremel but haven't used it for much lately. I just experimented with the polishing bits last night on a model that had some scratches from my needle files. It worked wonders but all I have is the disc polishing bit and it can't get into all the cracks.

Is there a different bit? Also, are there any pin vice type bits? I have a 1/8 inch hand pin vice right now but it is actually too big for some of the areas I'm trying to drill into. Even if there is a smaller pin vice bit for the hand vice I would be glad to know where to find one. Everywhere I've looked here the one I own now is the smallest.

Any advice would be good!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I can regularly and quite cheaply purchase drill bits all the way down to 1mm.I think that i can even get my hands on a 0.5mm bit, but would have to stop by the store again to check. These are quite small and easy to use and could even be put into a Dremel if you wanted.

You can check out Dremel's website and see all the bits they have there. That would likely be the next best place to check for different polishing bits.

Hope that helps.

I use regular drill bits from the hobby store in my dremel (I assume that is what you mean, because if you tried to put your pin vise in your dremel it would get really dangerous!). You just have to use it on the slowest speed possible and use an old candle to lubrificate your drill bit. Just drill into the candle before drilling into the mini. If you don't you'll break a drill bit about once every five minutes, at least I did!

Oh, and buying a chuck for the dremel instead of using those lame collets will make your life easier too. There are tons of threads on using dremels here if you do a lil searchin'.

There is something for a dremel you can get called "polishing pins" they are for jewlers and are made of a silicon grit. I guess you can cut them with an exacto and they are great for sanding off and polishing mold lines. Infact I have seen them used for sanding the "Klocke Lines" or mold lines that seem to form on the face of Warner Klocke models that obscures and ruins the face.

I have been trying to find these for a while. Other than that I only ever use my dremels for grinding large chunks of metal off of models and that is about it.

Mclimbin posted this link to an ebay seller of polishing pins in a thread a few months back. I bought some (medium grit) and they've been a dream for clearing off mold lines and bits of pewter I just don't want to hack off with an exacto. She wasn't able to break up a lot for me, so I've got enough pins to last for years, but they're worth it!

Also, I'm a big fan of Widget Supply for Dremel attachments (adjustable chucks, bits, etc.) on the cheap. I :wub: my Dremel!

Mclimbin posted this link to an ebay seller of polishing pins in a thread a few months back. I bought some (medium grit) and they've been a dream for clearing off mold lines and bits of pewter I just don't want to hack off with an exacto. She wasn't able to break up a lot for me, so I've got enough pins to last for years, but they're worth it!

Also, I'm a big fan of Widget Supply for Dremel attachments (adjustable chucks, bits, etc.) on the cheap. I :wub: my Dremel!

As a thread hijack...I've actually been interested in getting some of the Polishing Pins. The seller has course (blue), fine (red) and xfine (green). I'm wondering if anyone else would like to go in on some with me. I'm thinking 3-4 people, get a bag of each type, and divide them up evenly so everyone has a number of each. Anyone interested? Please PM me if interested.

Nissiana, does a standard Dremel collet work to hold these or do you need something special to chuck these into?

Thanks

AWhang

Nissiana, does a standard Dremel collet work to hold these or do you need something special to chuck these into?

I believe that it would, since the polishing pins are similar in diameter to some of my bits, but to be honest, I use a keyless chuck with my Dremel because I hate having to switch out collets when I change bits or attachments.

I bought polishing pins & colette from Rio Grande - you need an account w/em, but they are nice about setting it up. While the ones in the auction look like the pins I bought via Rio Grande, mine are *not* rubber. I think they mis-identified the material. Maybe rubber and graphite... but not just rubber... no way you'd get the effect right...

IMHO, that is...

The Rio Grande catalogue is :devil: EVIL :devil: .

There is soooo much cool stuff in there that you are going to want to get. Hide your Cedit Cards before you request one and get an account. (You get a $10 off coupon for your first purchase - which covers the cost of the catalogue you pay for when you set up your account). It's HUGE! It's the equivalent of walking an addict right up to the front door of a crack house for folks that like tools. ^_^

I use my Dremel mostly for cutting. I love those little wheels!

I bought a set of 24 drill bits at the local R/C hobby store. These things are tiny! The smallest is .0135. I don't know if they're mm or inches, but 1 MM is probably LARGER than any of these. Some of them are too small for my Dremel, even with the smallest collet they make. I do have a pin vise that holds them, though, again bought at a local hobby store - probably Hobbyland. http://www.hobbylandstores.com/

I have, in the past, actually chucked one of these tiny bits into my pin vise and then chucked that into my Dremel, but I don't remember what I was doing that I needed the bit to go even the slowest Dremel speed. Maybe it was just to see if it would work.

Micro Mark is another great mail-order catalog and probably has both of these items.

Here, I just found the bits. They are *much* smaller than they look in the picture. http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?M...ct&ID=26104

I use my Dremel mostly for cutting. I love those little wheels!

I bought a set of 24 drill bits at the local R/C hobby store. These things are tiny! The smallest is .0135. I don't know if they're mm or inches, but 1 MM is probably LARGER than any of these. Some of them are too small for my Dremel, even with the smallest collet they make.

There is a zero collet that will hold even the #80 drill bits in a Dremel but the 486 type chuck is a better option.

Drill bit chart