More Ogres, please!

A while back I was suggestin' an idea for an Ogre army for the Reven, and with the new data cards, I can field a unit of'em!! That brought a smile to my face, and I've ordered for pickup this Saturday at my FLGS, Braug, Yagun Oog, and the spear wielding Ogre to get started.

My question is whether or not we'll see another sculpt or two down the road for the Ogres now that they're Adepts? I feel pretty spoiled with Warlord's variety; it's one of its BEST points, having LOTS of cool sculpts, and THREE poses for grunts is more than other games I play. I'd like to see some more from Ben Seins to match Braug, but I can proxy Mash and the other half Ogre while I wait. Gotta love that.

A simple Yes or No will suffice. I don't care about a date, timeline or the ubiquitous Soon--tm.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of DHL models already available that would work:

2288, Garnuk by Bob Olley

2312, Vourgha by Bob Olley

2537, Orankar by Bob Olley

These earlier ones would be a bit out of scale with the Warlord Ogres and IIRC, are a bit smaller than Braug, Gurm and Yagun, but not horrifically so. Maybe use some of these smaller guys as your soldiers, and leave the bigger Ogres as your Outriders and leaders.

2486, Ogre Mage by Jason Weibe

Might be tough to fit on the appropriate base given the size, but would probably look pretty cool as a unit of these with Gurm, given his weapon choice, can have a more eastern feel to the troop.

2832, Ogre Chieftain by Jason Weibe

My personal favorite option. I intend to use him as proxies for my Outrider Braugs.

2933, Female Ogre Shaman by Jason Weibe

If you want a female model. You can easily replace that staff with a club or other big weapon.

3162, Kagunk by Tre Manor

This is a resculpt of #2325. I really prefer Tre's version over the original.

You already mentioned Mash too, which should also work well.

Believe me, I've seen all of'em!! I'm not diggin' the Olley sculpts as Warlord standins due to the poses and style. Nothin' against him personally, as he's a great sculptor, but I'm hoping Reaper'll put out more poses from Ben. I've got Mash and the other half Ogre, whose name escapes me (Gorevane?) so I'll have enough to start with. Aesthetically these sculpts (Tim Prow & maybe Ben again?) match the Warlord ones pretty well.

Obviously they have many more poses of models to crank out besides this, but I'm thinking of a VERY slow progression on my part with painting the first three, so I've got nothin' but time. I'm not sweatin' Reaper for instant gratification; I'm just hoping one of their peeps will see this and say, "Yup, Mr. Slater, more of your money will be in our pockets, and more cool Ogres will be on your gaming table, someday."

@Qwyk--thanks for all the info.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the ogre sculpts Reaper puts out (I'm not quite as discerning as you joshuaslater... I pretty much like them all!) In fact a while ago I was thinking of using as many of the Ogre sculpts as I could in a freelance "Big Monster army. Now that's far more possible, given the number of solos that are now adepts/outriders! I'm thinking the Ogre lineup from Reven, the Lupines, the River Trolls, and the Bears would be a cool themed freelance army, using ogres and various beasts from wl/dhl as models.

The idea of an entire army of large, lumbering, powerful models fighting off a comparatively large horde of "little guys" appeals to me (funny since my primary army is dwarves and it's the other way around!). I think it'd be hilarious to fight the goblins with an army like that! Haha!

I'm just diggin' the idea that Warlord is becoming more varied. You can now find a way to make that army happen. It's not about trying to find the most powerful combo all the time. Some of us just want to field an army fired by imagination!

Actually when Braug and the other two Ogres arrive, I'll paint them up. Then go from there. I'm sure I'll find some DHL sculpts that will join the lineup!!

I'm just diggin' the idea that Warlord is becoming more varied. You can now find a way to make that army happen. It's not about trying to find the most powerful combo all the time. Some of us just want to field an army fired by imagination!

Actually when Braug and the other two Ogres arrive, I'll paint them up. Then go from there. I'm sure I'll find some DHL sculpts that will join the lineup!!

I think the sasquatch would make a pretty good ogre too.

PS

I wish we had a "Karma" button to hit when someone posts somethin' like that!! Now you've got me thinkin' about some Yetis to add to the mayhem!!

Maybe everything isn't finalized yet. Maybe some people were turned off by the changes, but I can say absolutely that Warlord is moving in a good direction. The freedom to put together so many different models is really cool. I'm sure they will accomodate us with a few new sculpts for troops that are now Adepts/Outriders. Ogres, Minotaurs, and the list goes on and on. Have a great day. I'm going to the online store to look at the Bigfoot/Sasquatch!!

Exactly what I'm talkin' about. I have finally started getting excited to finish painting my Darkspawn, but also to start amassing a free for all Freelance force, based solely on what I like, and tactics will come later. I want to construct an army around an Ogre troop, led by Gurm, with the Ogre mage, a Dark Dwarf troop led by Thunginar, maybe Boris Mingla to lead overall, and fill out the grunts with some Darkspawn and Cultists. Kind of an evil offshoot of the Darkspawn thing. Looks like I can do this if I run 2000 points.

Same rule right? 2000 points to have two troops of Adepts?

Same rule right? 2000 points to have two troops of Adepts?

Yep, that rule is unaffected by freelance.

You know, to add to this discussion about the new changes making themed/proxy freelance forces viable, I want to add this: I won't feel bad about doing it now. See, before, whenever I contemplated doing a freelance list, I thought it would be lame because I'd take all the adepts, which gave you so much more bang for your buck, and I'd roll any opponent fighting with a faction list. But now, while Adepts still roll grunts pretty hard, they're also priced about 2 or 3 times as much, so it balances better. So I'll echo j.s.'s sentiments that the changes are very good for the game as a whole.

I mean, the dwarves are still so good they're broken, but we don't want that to change. :devil:

I'm not the swiftest cat, even on a good day, so I'm double checkin'. In a 2000 point game I can have a troop of Adept Ogres and a troop of Adept Dark Dwarves?

If the answer is yes,

1. I'll wait until the new sculpts come out and buy them.

2. I'll buy and proxy DHL models

3. I'll be happy.

Go ahead, make my day.

I'm not the swiftest cat, even on a good day, so I'm double checkin'. In a 2000 point game I can have a troop of Adept Ogres and a troop of Adept Dark Dwarves?

If the answer is yes,

1. I'll wait until the new sculpts come out and buy them.

2. I'll buy and proxy DHL models

3. I'll be happy.

Go ahead, make my day.

In a 2000 point game, you can have TWO troops of Adept Ogres, and TWO troops of Adept Dark Dwarves.

Of course, Gurm is Unique, so you'll need to find some other bloke to lead that second troop of Ogres.

I actually configed an all ogre/river troll 1501 force Monday when i found out Gurm was now a Capt. The only non-Ogre was the warlord and two hunting beasts. It should be a nasty force because they all have Reach and can support each other to the max.

We definitely need an Ogre Sarge and a Warlord. ;)

Ho haus!! Two of each?!?!?!?!?!?! Now we're talkin'. I think Reaper will pull me in huevos deep into Warlord. I've always been lukewarm about it coming from Chronopia, but now, with the changes, it feels like Warlord is coming into its own. No reason I can't enjoy both games.

I've been harping on this all over the boards, but with all the variety now, people can really do interesting combinations. I can convert a few Braugs I'm sure, at least one, but having two more sculpts for the Ogre Warrior, and an Ogre Sarge would really make my army look great.

There's always that perpetual struggle--do we want more poses to fill out the ranks, or more cool individuals and new armies. The answer is yes to all!!

I'd go so far to say that if the game grabs me, I'd even invest in a new rulebook in another year or two, providing it had everything in it from the Kruger's Journals, more background on Taltos and it's place in Adon (especially) and of the same quality as the first two printings.

Begging the question--how does Reaper relaunch this game?