It's Flooding in Denton, TX

ixminis

Hey-o,

I've got the pet-carriers ready and the quick-escape kits packed. We've just made it through one set of flash floods and are getting ready for the next (possible) one a little later tonight. For your entertainment, here's a picture of the water AFTER it went down about a foot by my house. FYI, that's my carport shed, not my house, that is in the right of the picture. The drainage ditch is 8 - 10' deep (what drainage ditch you say!!!?)

Again - we're ready to evac, so no one do any worrying about us.

flashflood.jpg

Hurrah!!! We can see the bridge across the drainage ditch again!!! (Yes, The railings were under the water earlier)

flashfloodbridge.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope everything makes it through OK. Flash floods are not fun, just got caught in the tail end of one a few years ago, nothing that big though.

I can see reaper-con being called on account of reaper now being at the bottom of a brand new lake ::o:

OMG that reminds me TOO much of one of our vacations in Savannah GA. We got caught in a tropical storm (though we were on the mainland) and many of the streets were flooded much like yours. Water was a foot above floor-level in many of the houses we passed, and finally we parked (or shall I say docked) our car in this one poor lady's yard. She was sitting on the porch watching the mayhem.

Steve asked her if it flooded like that ofetn.

"Only when it rains", she said.

Anyhoo, coming from a river city myself, I feel for you. The cleanup can be sheer hell. Just take care of yourself and your family. Let's hope the rains stop soon.

Doesn't look fun at all.

Hopefully, you won't need this advice, but remember that if you can't see the roadway, don't try to drive through it!

I think that we're supposed to start getting the rain tonight, but I don't think that we're getting anywhere near that much.

Ron

wow. It's so green :)

The leaves haven't sprouted yet here, so the trees and everything are nekkid ;)

That is one aspect of southern living I could definately get used to, the greenery.

Ditto on that SR... I looked at the pic and it didn't even register for me... But now it causes me to pine for 4 weeks from now...

Sigh... Green all year long (Not counting late summer when everything is yellow everywhere - even up here).

Hope you all dry out in time. And be thankful you don't have basements!

Where I grew up the rivers flooded almost beyond the levees every seven years (they dodged the bullet this year). My mother's office was almost right on the banks so whenever the floods began it was her job to go move/remove all the files and records (she'd make an excellent White House secretary). The last time it flooded when I still lived there I was helping her move files when I saw one of the coolest maritime events ever.

I saw a man in hip-waders wading down Glen Millner Boulevard towing a Volkswagen beetle by the rear bumper. The things actually FLOAT! He enlisted a few bystanders to help him drag it up onto the "island" of East Third Avenue, at which point a few hundred gallons of water and a few dead fish poured out of the car. THIRTY MINUTES LATER he managed to get the darned thing STARTED and drove it home.

Krauts..they know how to build 'em!

Yeah. With what we've been getting lately, bring allergy meds. It's been hellacious.

We've had rain, but our house is on top of a hill, no where near the creek that floods. If we get flooded out, the airport near is (Austin-Bergstrom International) is underwater, so I'm not worried.

Now, getting to work is another story. The roads are subject to flooding.

But it hasn't been so bad, here. Some wind. Some rain. Nothing spectacular.