It's Flooding in Denton, TX

ixminis

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just caught this on the morning news. Glad you made it out safely. And I'd certainly hope you were prepared what with having worked at FEMA. Oh wait... Nah, that will get this in Beekeepers :lol:

Hope everyone else in the area is doing okay. I know they mentioned some pretty horrific tornados tearing through that neck of the woods too. I hope everyone is okay. Property can be replaced.

We just got through with some local flooding here - Merrimack River was at a Flood stage for about 3 days because of heavy rains. Not quite as bad as last year. I had a couple clients and some of our programs flooded out. Stupid river couldn't have reached our office though. <_< The last time before then that there had been such bad flooding was apparently in 1930.

The tornados in Eagle Pass are on the other side of the state, about 450 miles away from Denton/Dallas area, more or less (according to Mapquest, anyway). :lol:

My Mother-in-Law had my husband's brother call him at work yesterday because she was freaking out wondering if we were okay and in the bad weather. It hadn't even started raining yet, just cloudy skies. :rolleyes:

The weird thing is it seemed to mostly miss us, but Eagle Pass, IIRC, is southwest of us, and Denton is northeast. I can't figure out how we were missed (except a little rain).

Yay. More pollen. Joy. <_<

There was a few minor tornado incidents south of Fort Worth, I work in Haslet just north of FW. We spent about 20 minutes in the fire pump room because two funnels were reported on the ground and heading for our area. I had areas last night going into work where I could barely see the road and was reduiced to about 20 mph. Not fun in a little light pick up.

Yesterday afternoon I'd heard there was a tornado in Denton, and I thought "NO, DON'T LET IT HIT REAPER, IT'S ALMOST REAPERCON!!!!!!!!!"

But luckily such a thing did not happen. That one town called Aubrey, not too far from Denton, did get 10 inches of rain in a few hours, though. That's pretty nasty.

Yup, it's going to be a weird ReaperCon. Bring an umbrella and jacket. Past couple of mornings has been a wee-bit chilly and, with high humidity and slightly cooler temps, the A/C units have been super effective at freezing people in stores, restaurants, and movie theatres.

I've been wearing a sweater at work because the A/C likes to run all day and I do NOT want to get sick before RCon.

Rain. Rainrainrainrainrainrain.

Makes me think that maybe, just maybe, we won't be dying of heatstroke.

But, I foresee a horrendous, hideous, hotter than heck summer looming over us. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

At least ya'll will be able to see a green Texas this year!

I still see bluebonnets around, even. :blink:

I always laugh when I hear people from Texas talk about 'chilly'

What is that, like 68 degrees?

No, that's my mom, who lives in Florida. Chilly for me is about 30-40 degF.

On the other hand, I've recently read Resolute about the various British expeditions to find the Northwest Passage, John Franklin's expedition, and the subsequent expeditions to find Franklin's expedition. I'm also most of the way through The Terror, a fictional account of the Franklin expedition with a twist. Both are very good.

Imagine being on a wooden ship trapped in the ice for over a year. Temperatures around -40 to -70 degF on average. Gives a whole new meaning to what passes for cold. :blink:

Ron