It's Flooding in Denton, TX

ixminis

"Chilly" for me is about 40-50 degrees, when I have to put a jacket on my son. I don't normally wear one unless it's below 40.

It's inside, though, that can get you after being out in the heat. You're hot, sweating, and dying for cool air, walk into a store, and the A/C is set for about 65 degrees.

So you experience about a sudden 30-40 degree drop in temperature. Add the blowing air onto sweat-covered body, and you've got goosebumps. Chances are, you can also catch a cold as a result. Happens a lot around here.

Sure, there are lots of people coming from very cold climates, but you're somewhat acclimated to your environment. I laugh just as hard when ya'll think 95 degrees F at 83% humidity is hot. That's somewhat cool for summer around here. Now, 120 degrees F at 98% humidity is something else. That's "stay inside with ice water and a fan blowing on you" heat.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But, I foresee a horrendous, hideous, hotter than heck summer looming over us. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

I'd love to have another one of those summers like we had a few years ago, with only one day that broke 100 degrees.

That's not likely to happen again any time soon, though.

Yeah...so far, proximity to Reapercon is the only thing mentioned in this thread that makes me miss living in Houston...

In my twelve years living there, I saw three houses built in the same lot...each one was torn down after taking severe flood damage...the longest stay in that lot only lasted three years.

The first six years, I saw one big prarie that flooded--bigtime--each year, at least once. In my seventh year, they started building a subdivision. In Northwest Houston, it normally takes about three months for a 50-100 house subdivision to look fully populated with houses. This one kept getting a variety of delays, including flood concerns, and it took two years to build 50 houses.

And no matter what temperature it is, the humidity is always bad. Pittsburgh is surrounded by three rivers. I laugh at the Yinzers who complain about humidity...they don't know how good they have it here.

For you Houstonians out there, though, I'll also say I miss the Bayou Goo at the Westheimer House of Pies.

Oh, really now, Houston is a fine place to live if you accept a few things and have the right attitude.

Houston is flat, and we do get quite a bit of rain at times. That's why you look at the flood plain map before you buy a house, always have flood insurance even if you aren't in the 100 year flood plain (just in case you get 24" of rain in 12 hrs or the storm sewers back up), and know which streets are likely to flood temporarily in a heavy downpour.

The prairie that you saw flooding probably was one of the reservoirs designed to fill up in heavy rains to prevent flooding downstream. Of course, given that they aren't needed except very, very rarely, some fools insist on building there.

Humidity is relatively high here, especially during the summer. But, often enough, I can still spray prime and seal.

Downsides include a 6 month hot summer, poor mass transit, sprawl, and flat terrain.

On the plus side, housing is very affordable, the place is very green, and there is a great abundance of good places to eat (though I personally include House of Pies, but that's my own tastes).

All depends what you focus upon. ::):

Ron

PS: All of that said, I'm mostly tied to Houston now since most of my wife's family is here along with a good (enough) job. We have occasionally thought about moving, but unless I lose my job and can't find another in Houston (it's a specialized field), we'll probably stay here a while.

I'll grant, I've never really had the right attitude toward Houston...but every city isn't for everyone. :upside:

We could probably start a new thread just for "great places to eat in Houston," but I could do the same here...though I'd like some decent Mexican (Yankees just don't get it).

I am a complete and total Pittsburgh convert now, though. So I'll just leave this one at "I'm glad I don't live in a floodplain." ::D:

Hey Ixminis, how did you fare with last night's stormy fun? We didn't get too much flooding in The Colony, but those 80mph winds that tore through knocked down not one, but TWO trees at the Sharky Manse - one of them (a 40' tall cottonwood) happened to take out a stretch of the fence and is currently blocking part of the street that runs next to my house. Fortunately, that's all the damage that happened, so we're definitely counting our blessings.

Hope you got through it all OK!

The people a few houses down lost half a tree in the front yard, luckily it the side of the fork in the trunk toward the yard and away from the house. We had hellacious winds straight at the back of our house that were driving rain under the back door, but not so much that a towel couldn't catch it.

It just looked like it rained a little when we woke up last night, but Thomas had climbed into our bed early in the evening (about 1am or so - he was already there and fast asleep and shoving me off the bed at 2:30am), so I'm guessing the thunder and stuff woke him. Most of it missed us, I think.