Some old Lord of the Ring miniatures

72moonglum

Hi all,

I've been working on some really nice old classic Heritage miniatures lately. There is a web site that sells old Heritage miniatures, Classic Miniatures, that dedicates itself to old Heritage, Ral Partha, RAFM and other types of miniatures. These ones come from an old Lord of the Rings line that came out when the animated Lord of the Rings movie came out in the end of the seventies if I'm not mistaken. Not necessarily on a technical level the most perfect of miniatures, but they do have personality. The paint jobs are okay. I'm still struggling with the non metal metal.

post-1758-1177465322_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1177465346_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1177465368_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1177465425_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh Steve is peering over my shoulder and going down Memory Lane to back-before when Heritage Minis was still Custom-Cast. He has a few of those lying around here. Lumpy li'l creatures they are, but you have painted them up quite nicely.

I like your little hobbits best. You even made their little feet look furry!

Those old minis are almost pure lead so the details don't come out too crisp. I also suspect sculpting medium has evolved a long way since the late seventies/earily eighties when those were the top of the craft.

I only just noticed this.. but it appears Legolas has a five-o'clock shadow there. He probably took three-hundred years to grow that stubble. :lol:

Hi all,

I've been working on some really nice old classic Heritage miniatures lately. There is a web site that sells old Heritage miniatures, Classic Miniatures, that dedicates itself to old Heritage, Ral Partha, RAFM and other types of miniatures. These ones come from an old Lord of the Rings line that came out when the animated Lord of the Rings movie came out in the end of the seventies if I'm not mistaken. Not necessarily on a technical level the most perfect of miniatures, but they do have personality. The paint jobs are okay. I'm still struggling with the non metal metal.

I was just thinking about these guys...trying to rack my brain for who produced them. The "show-your-first-mini" type threads always gets me back to these pieces but for the life of me, I could never remember who made them (sadly, I don't have mine anymore :down: ). Many thanks for filling a hole in my brain ::D:

Very nice paint-ups also. I too like the Hobbitses best!

Thanks

AWhang

Thanks guys for the comments. I know that technically these miniatures aren't as advanced as current standards, but that is almost part of their charm. When I used to paint in the early eighties, I used to think Ral Partha was the ultimate best with Meier and Mize and I still really like their work. Way back then, I really didn't like so much Heritage or Grenadier miniatures because of their "unrealistic" look, but since then I've come back and can really appreciate them. It's nice to be able to take a figure that's not perfect and paint it up to a decent standard. I'm really glad that there are some folks that still make the Heritage figures. They are actually currently made out of the Reaper type metal alloy. The only ones that are lead any more are the originals.