Clogging MSP bottles

Every once in a while I get a bottle of Master Series Paints that will have a clogged spout, so I'll have to remove it and pour a dab onto my pallete, which is a pain in the butt. I love using MSPs, but this is very frustrating and makes me want to run out and buy a bunch of Citadel Colour.

Anybody have a trick for unclogging these things?

Sticking an end of a paper clip hasn't worked, so it's back to removing the cap.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have a trick for unclogging these things?

When one of mine clogs, I stick a medium to large sized safety pin as far as it will go. Clears the clog and I can continue. Every now and again, the skull agitator will also seem to block things, but a quick unclog and shake always resolves the issue.

Ron

Such a minor issue really and it happens to any paint that comes in dropper bottles. I keep a t-pin at my desk and in my travel kit, which is longer and wider than a paper clip. This also helps pierce the occasional cap that didn't mold correctly. If the problem persists then I remove the cap and clean out the inside were I usually find the metal skull has managed to lodge blocking the opening.

• Like 1

So I'm not going to destroy the bottle by really ramming that pin/paperclip in there?

Nope. Hasn't caused a problem for me yet, but I am using a reasonably sized safety pin and not a huge, honking one. I suggest using the smallest diameter thing that works: in other words, start with the smallest paper clip or safety pin that you can find and see if it works. If it does, stop. If it doesn't, find the next smallest one and try again (and so on).

Ron

At GenCon Sue had the "pokey tool" which I believe was a dissecting needle (a heavy gauged pin fixed to an xacto-like handle). Very effective, just push it through the clog.

Also useful for jabbing into patrons who insist on leaving their brushes in the wash water ::D: (I kid...)

Thanks

AWhang

When it comes to clearing clogs, be careful of a few things. Don't use a wire that's too big. If you wiggle it around a lot, then you can break the tip. I've only seen it a couple of times though.

If you poke through, pull out the pin, and still have the clog, you need the clean the tip. Remove the tip, then push the pin through. Wipe the pin off before pulling it out again. This will clear the clog and remove it from the bottle.

Sometimes the paint has gotten a bit thick or the tip is completely clogged. Then you will need to clean the tip with runnig water or perhaps scrub it out with a brush. That's only for really tough clogs.

If you are working with RMS, you can add a little distilled water to the paint before you re-cap it and then shake well. Adding RMS Flow Improver to Vallejo bottles helps them, or at least Jen has been saying so.

I had a pokey thing I took to GenCon with me - it might have been that disecting tool. It disappeared while I was there. Sue's husband Art scrounged up a tool for me to replace it that is much better than the one I lost. :wub: You can also get a clay needle at Arts and Crafts stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. It is a wonderful tool for opening up clogs.

At GenCon Sue had the "pokey tool" which I believe was a dissecting needle (a heavy gauged pin fixed to an xacto-like handle). Very effective, just push it through the clog.

Also useful for jabbing into patrons who insist on leaving their brushes in the wash water ::D: (I kid...)

Thanks

AWhang

Yes, they are dissecting needles (I have been supplying them to Sue and others in my local area). They also make a good sculpting tool.

I've added flow improver to Vallejo too and haven't had to poke since. I've been lucky with RMS, no clogs yet.

P.S. Let me know if you guys are painting at Games Plus and I'll take the Metra. I've improved much since the prior session. I'm going this Saturday but just for a quick spree.

In my painting kit I keep a few of those dissecting needles as well as beading needles and various sized sewing needles. The beading needles are excellent for when you're stripping and there are bits of paint lodged in teeny-tiny crevasses. The needles are so thin, long, and flexible that you can get the pieces of paint out easily, even in chain mail.

I also found handy an electric toothbrush. This saves wear and tear on my arm when cleaning minis.

And where the toothbrush can't get to there's a handy brush in the dental area for cleaning orthodontic bits. These tiny, round brushes are about 3/4" long and can get even into the tip of the MSP droppers for cleaning out gunky paint. Some come with long handles and some come with replaceable tips. And they're cheap.

I've raided the Sally's Beauty makeup/nail aisle before for tools. I've also found Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and the dental/toothpaste/toothbrush aisle of my local Wal-Mart/grocery store has lots of handy items, including travel dentil picks with short handles and covers for the pick.

And at a local hardware store, my most valuable tool, is a metal etching scratch tool. One end is straight, the other end hooked like a dental pick. Solid steel, and while it's too thick for the MSP droppers, it's quite useful for a number of things. I've used it for things from archaeological digs to pulling hair from a clogged bathtub drain.

Yeah, I got lots of sharp, pointy things in my painting kit. :devil::ph34r:

In my painting kit I keep a few of those dissecting needles as well as beading needles and various sized sewing needles. The beading needles are excellent for when you're stripping and there are bits of paint lodged in teeny-tiny crevasses. The needles are so thin, long, and flexible that you can get the pieces of paint out easily, even in chain mail.

I also found handy an electric toothbrush. This saves wear and tear on my arm when cleaning minis.

And where the toothbrush can't get to there's a handy brush in the dental area for cleaning orthodontic bits. These tiny, round brushes are about 3/4" long and can get even into the tip of the MSP droppers for cleaning out gunky paint. Some come with long handles and some come with replaceable tips. And they're cheap.

I've raided the Sally's Beauty makeup/nail aisle before for tools. I've also found Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and the dental/toothpaste/toothbrush aisle of my local Wal-Mart/grocery store has lots of handy items, including travel dentil picks with short handles and covers for the pick.

And at a local hardware store, my most valuable tool, is a metal etching scratch tool. One end is straight, the other end hooked like a dental pick. Solid steel, and while it's too thick for the MSP droppers, it's quite useful for a number of things. I've used it for things from archaeological digs to pulling hair from a clogged bathtub drain.

Yeah, I got lots of sharp, pointy things in my painting kit. :devil::ph34r:

Ah, another woman with tools. I've found a lot of cross-over between painting and beading. Hadn't thought of recycling beading needles for cleaning minis, but it makes sense. Do you mean the ones that are a twisted wire with a collapsable head? Those would be great, since the twisted wire would clean out nooks and cranies quite well. Insert and scrub it back and forth.

I'm going to have to check out some of your tool sources. You hit a few that I hadn't thought of. If you've got a Flea Market nearby, they usually have a tool seller. Those guys have all kinds of nifty stuff, often much less expensive than you will find in a craft store. Drill bits, dental tools, dremmel tips, small plastic baggies, you name it.