Getting my minis to ReaperCon?

Castlebuilder

I'm all pumped up about finally getting to make it to ReaperCon. I am trying to figure out how to get an army transport full of minis down there and still have room for a change of clothes and such. CuteButPsycho told me you can take them onto the plane as your carry on luggage, but I thought that would be prohibited. Is there a way to send them down early and pick them up? Will Reaper accept them or do I need to go through the post office? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Castlebuilder

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I'd take a case as a carry-on. I might consider checking a hard side case, but I'd carry a soft case on the plane and put it in the overhead bin. This was discussed in another thread (about cases), and people have mentioned that they have no problem travelling with them. Expect to have to open the case for TSA and show them your little figures, but once they see you aren't going to be putting anyone's eye out with those tiny little metal swords, it's all good.

~v

I also recommend bringing the case with on the plane as a carry on and, before you put the case through the machine, tell the agents that you have hand painted, fragile soft metal minis within. If they want to inspect them, you may want to have a raw metal mini on top that you can show how soft and non dangerous they are.

Also make sure that your case will fit in the overhead compartment and get a seat towards the back of the plane so that you can get on early (and make sure that your case gets in the overhead).

I would avoid shipping if possible, but shipping in a very well padded, non descript box would be better than checking a case in the belly of the plane.

Ron

I have taken several different armies in my soft sided army transport on cross country flights without any mishaps and without ever having my bag checked. Always ready to do so though and putting unpainted ones on top is a good idea.

had a big African-American woman (tsa agent) check my army transport last year while leaving D/FW but it was due to the high level of metal detected (ie Asylum buys), but other then that no problems at all with carry on. I just put them in the overhead & everything is cool, the foam trays hold everything in place.

Heck, last year I had my paints as a carry on, but with the new rules in place gonna leave most of them home + put what I'm gonna use in my luggage in a ziplock bag, just in case.

RM

I've brought 2 Reaper cases clipped together as one of my carryon bags, and a backpack with the other.

The two, clipped together, look like a single bag and no one pays any notice. On the plane, if you unclip them, and stow them in an overhead bin sideways they take up as much space as most people's rolling duffles. Then you put your backpack under the seat in front of you.

I've never had an issue with TSA not allowing me to bring them on. Worst I have had happen is have to show them. When I have explained what they were, I've been allowed to take the foam trays out to show the screener. Most will just ask what they are, you explain, and they let them go.

As for clothing, if you can't fit the weekend worth of junk into a backpack to use as carryon, just check a bag, preferably one a bit larger than what you need, since you are likely going to bring home loot.

I know it doesn't have anything to do with mini transport, but Mengu and I were surprised by this rule in December...

Remember the 3-1-1 rule when flying now...If you have ANY liquids or gels to carry on, they must be in 3 oz containers or smaller (includes gel type deoderant), you must put them in a 1 quart sized ziptop bag (have it outside your carry on when going through security), and only 1 bag per passenger. No half used rolled up tubes of toothpaste allowed! Ladies, this includes lipgloss too (chapstick is okay).

Mengu and I have discovered it's a lot less hassle to just check our toiletries in our baggage. We've had no problems putting our paints in the checked bags either.

see you soon!

debby :blush:

We just flew to and from Seattle last week with our paints in our checked baggage, not a problem in the Columbus or Seattle airports. We only have our MSP, no spray primer or sealer.

The liquid and gel carry-on thing enacted last September is still in affect as the 3-1-1 rule. Watch out if you wear gel inserts in your shoes. You're not allowed through airport security with those on (you can check them though). That's too bad, if more people were "gellin' like Ellen", there'd probably be less uptight people in airports.

debby :lol: