Inspiration for Free hand

dargrin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all kinds of clipart files from Dover. They do free samples every week.

I do hope to have a few CDs to give away at RCon.

Other than that, look at everything. I have a picture of an iPod jukebox from a store ad because I liked the decoration on the front. Eventually I will put that design on .. something.

I have all kinds of clipart files from Dover. They do free samples every week.

I do hope to have a few CDs to give away at RCon.

Other than that, look at everything. I have a picture of an iPod jukebox from a store ad because I liked the decoration on the front. Eventually I will put that design on .. something.

What is dover?

Yes - sorry. I forget not everyone knows Dover Publications by their first name. :blush:

Sign up for the free samples. There's generally something you can use every week.

If you're looking for something specific I can search the stuff I've got saved.

• Artists

I'm on the weekly Dover sample list too, and print out the ones I find useful each week. You can periodically sign up to have catalogues with more samples mailed too. I have also purchased several of the Dover books. I will only do that if I can browse through the book in person so I have a really good idea of if I think the book is suitable for minis first. The art in some of the books is too large/complex or too vague or too whatever to be a good basis for freehand. I've found a decent selection of them in some art stores and book stores. Some of them come with CDs so you could also use the art for computer stuff. For those unfamiliar with Dover art books, they publish collections of copyright free (ie old) images for the use of artists, graphic designers, etc. Many of their books focus on medieval and art deco imagery, they also have numerous 'old time' advertisement collections. They have several books featuring non-European historical art, but unfortunately these are often very rough line drawings and most did not look as useful as I'd hoped when I browsed through them.

Ones I've bought I think are decent for mini purposes -

1500 Decorative Ornaments CD-ROM and Book - probably my favourite. LOTS of stuff in here, much of it shown fairly small so suitable for mini purposes.

Heraldic Crests: A Pictorial Archive of 4,424 Designs for Artists and Craftspeople - crests are good for shields and flags, but since many of them include animals, weapons and other images, they are also useful for general image inspiration.

Japanese Emblems and Designs - most of the emblems are mons, a sort of Japanese version of heraldic crests. There's also some info on Japanese patterns. The downside of this one is mon are all based on circle designs, so it's not helpful for freehand inspiration for borders or long thin areas and such. There are a few animal based designs, but the majority are based on plants, flowers, ships and symbols.

These next three are decent, but the topics are a bit more specific so not as likely to be useful as often.

Chinese Animal Designs - features a wide variety of animals from several different periods in Chinese history, so the art styles range from more elaborate and refined to more primative (in the art sense), both of which can be useful for mini stuff.

Dragons: A Book of Designs - includes historical images from Western and Eastern sources, as well as modern fantasy style dragons. Dragons are included in the heraldry book and the chinese animals book also.

Celtic Designs CD-ROM and Book - these images are actually not taken from Celtic historical sources, but rather are drawn by an artist to focus on the knot style Celtic art that's popular today. Which is pretty complex for freehand, though I've seen it done quite well by others. I think I bought the book just hoping I'd get there some day. ;-> A fair number of the images are stylised animals, but there are abstracts and a few plant and people ones also.

If you've got figures with particular cultural influences, you can also try Google or Yahoo image searches for textiles and pottery from that culture to get freehand ideas. I use image searches a lot when I'm painting for colour ideas, to see what particular animals look like, etc.

I'm on the weekly Dover sample list too, and print out the ones I find useful each week. You can periodically sign up to have catalogues with more samples mailed too. I have also purchased several of the Dover books. I will only do that if I can browse through the book in person so I have a really good idea of if I think the book is suitable for minis first. The art in some of the books is too large/complex or too vague or too whatever to be a good basis for freehand. I've found a decent selection of them in some art stores and book stores. Some of them come with CDs so you could also use the art for computer stuff. For those unfamiliar with Dover art books, they publish collections of copyright free (ie old) images for the use of artists, graphic designers, etc. Many of their books focus on medieval and art deco imagery, they also have numerous 'old time' advertisement collections. They have several books featuring non-European historical art, but unfortunately these are often very rough line drawings and most did not look as useful as I'd hoped when I browsed through them.

Ones I've bought I think are decent for mini purposes -

1500 Decorative Ornaments CD-ROM and Book - probably my favourite. LOTS of stuff in here, much of it shown fairly small so suitable for mini purposes.

Heraldic Crests: A Pictorial Archive of 4,424 Designs for Artists and Craftspeople - crests are good for shields and flags, but since many of them include animals, weapons and other images, they are also useful for general image inspiration.

Japanese Emblems and Designs - most of the emblems are mons, a sort of Japanese version of heraldic crests. There's also some info on Japanese patterns. The downside of this one is mon are all based on circle designs, so it's not helpful for freehand inspiration for borders or long thin areas and such. There are a few animal based designs, but the majority are based on plants, flowers, ships and symbols.

These next three are decent, but the topics are a bit more specific so not as likely to be useful as often.

Chinese Animal Designs - features a wide variety of animals from several different periods in Chinese history, so the art styles range from more elaborate and refined to more primative (in the art sense), both of which can be useful for mini stuff.

Dragons: A Book of Designs - includes historical images from Western and Eastern sources, as well as modern fantasy style dragons. Dragons are included in the heraldry book and the chinese animals book also.

Celtic Designs CD-ROM and Book - these images are actually not taken from Celtic historical sources, but rather are drawn by an artist to focus on the knot style Celtic art that's popular today. Which is pretty complex for freehand, though I've seen it done quite well by others. I think I bought the book just hoping I'd get there some day. ;-> A fair number of the images are stylised animals, but there are abstracts and a few plant and people ones also.

If you've got figures with particular cultural influences, you can also try Google or Yahoo image searches for textiles and pottery from that culture to get freehand ideas. I use image searches a lot when I'm painting for colour ideas, to see what particular animals look like, etc.

These are great references! You should definitely add this to the sticky book-list! I think a trip to my local book seller is in order.

Many Thanks

AWhang

Yeah, I have several Dover pubs for Egyptian designs (go fig! :rolleyes: ) and they do have some wonderful border and other styles, such as lotuses, papyrus, and other Egyptian elements that can be used for miniatures and building projects. My current idea is to incorporate some of the ideas into graphic elements for my website, plus I'm looking at getting an inexpensive enlarger projector where I can project the images on my walls to paint my house with scenes.

Yeah, my mom is going to LOVE that, but...

It's MY house!! :dances:

I'm still contemplating a green-ish kitchen. My mom hates green.

As far as miniatures go, I'm hoping to use the designs on some to sculpt some Egyptian pillars, possibly some papyrus plants (if it's possible), some lotus flowers, and other basing elements to make an Egyptian scene. Speaking of, I should bring those books with me for my sculpting/conversion class. I'm hoping one of the sculptors can help me with the papyrus part, as that is going to be tough to do.