I don't mind losing the pinhole targeting part of Sureshot; it's losing the ability to fire into combat... :down:

I will agree that the new version is pretty nice, especially if trying for 10s.

I agree pinpoint laser sights were fine, but not being able to shoot into melee really hampers the elven army. now instead of just your archers backing away from the approaching enemy your warriors have to too. their not really speed bumps any more. . .more like an interfering wall.

How about Feathered Sky instead adding Ranged Support bonuses, capped at +3.

For every Model that attacks the same target with a Ranged attack, they gain a +1 Bonus to Ranged attacks.

and if i had come up with this it would be all the more brilliant!!!!! :lol:

Finally, I would like to see woodstrider actually mean something. The only woods that effects standard based models are heavy woods. I would like to see light woods slow down the enemy as well. something like light woods x2 movement heavy x3 (increase penalty for size). i haven't witnessed heavy woods being used all that often in a tournament.

super elf FA . . .the ability to shoot from deeper in the woods than other models 3" for light woods 2" for heavy woods.

Sorry, newb question here. I don't see the Sure Shot SA on any of the data cards. :blink: I'm confuzzled. :wacko:

Faction ability?

Sure Shot is an Elf faction ability. While it's not on the card, all Elf shooters get to take advantage of it. I've already faced units with sure shot. It is a huge special ability. Kind of the shooters version of Warmaster.

Castlebuilder

Oops, I guess I should wait until I get home from work and can look at my rulebook before I post questions. Sorry 'bout that. :blush:

It *is* a little confusing for newbs though. OK, it's just confusing for me. :huh:

So, for myself and for any other newbs out there who are equally rules-challenged:

Elves Faction Abilities:

Shadowy, which breaks down into a) all cover is heavy cover; b) the Wood Strider SA (which is on the data cards); and c) the Ridge Runner SA (which is not on the data cards)

Feathered Sky no longer exists, as Volley has been cut from the SA list

Practice makes Perfect: reroll all ranged missed shots

Did I get everything?

Thanks for your indulgence. :poke:

I don't mind losing the pinhole targeting part of Sureshot; it's losing the ability to fire into combat... :down:

I will agree that the new version is pretty nice, especially if trying for 10s.

I agree pinpoint laser sights were fine, but not being able to shoot into melee really hampers the elven army. now instead of just your archers backing away from the approaching enemy your warriors have to too. their not really speed bumps any more. . .more like an interfering wall.

Especially since you can't shoot over or past them, with the new LOS rules. That seriously hampers your ability to do, well, ANYTHING with them.

Reaperguys, if you wanted to encourage us to play Elven armies that were NOT all-archers, this is not the way to do it.

How about Feathered Sky instead adding Ranged Support bonuses, capped at +3.

For every Model that attacks the same target with a Ranged attack, they gain a +1 Bonus to Ranged attacks.

and if i had come up with this it would be all the more brilliant!!!!! :lol:

Finally, I would like to see woodstrider actually mean something. The only woods that effects standard based models are heavy woods. I would like to see light woods slow down the enemy as well. something like light woods x2 movement heavy x3 (increase penalty for size). i haven't witnessed heavy woods being used all that often in a tournament.

super elf FA . . .the ability to shoot from deeper in the woods than other models 3" for light woods 2" for heavy woods.

I agree on the woods thing... needs to actually matter.

I would never run an all-archer army - balance is the way to go. Even for Elves, we must have balance and harmony in our groups (can you tell I've been teaching Taoism in my classes recently?).

As for shooting into melee, that is why we have Deathseekers. Fearless means no shaken token, which means that shooting into melee does not affect them. Being adepts limits this use, but it is what we have right now and they seem idealy suited for it.

I like Eawod and Caerwynn w/ Lorielle because there are few models that can survive 6 damage in one turn. It is a LOT of points, and I admit that it will take a lot of skill, but if we can pick off leaders and limit cohesion we can then use spells to do a LOT of damage and mop up with melee attackers.

Dangerous? Yes. Can it backfire? Absolutely. But if it was an easy fight than it wouldn't be any fun.

It is a LOT of points, and I admit that it will take a lot of skill, but if we can pick off leaders and limit cohesion we can then use spells ...

OK, now you're just talking crazy. ::P:

After you bring Eawod, and Caerwynn, and Lorielle, now you got points left for a mage and some spells?!?

::D:

PS

Here's the 1000 pointer I'll be using...soon....I hope

(I jave not played with the new cards yet)

Eawod GMA

3 warriors

longthorn

Arnise MA

3 death seekers

Centaur Archer solo

Meridh

4 archers

Dehanis solo

cure 1

cure 1

cure 2

slow

divine vigor

hold

Total 997

The basic plan is to have

Eawod crit shot tough guys whilst his troops guards him

Arnise and the deathseekers are forward guards

the centaur can harass a flank

Meridh and his archers well they do what they do best

Dehanis keeps Arnise' troop healthy and can watch out for Eawod too.

5 activation cards I think should be plenty to keep me were I want to be.

Any thoughts our actual expirience critiques?

thanks

first you have six spells on your one caster. . .will the game last that many rounds?

next, with archers reverting back to grunts try and put at least one in every unit. that way they can cover each other with lanes of fire and your enemy can't try to avoid that one group of archers.

just two thoughts.

Thanks much Darthiir,

well as for the six spells it may not last but I want to be prepared for anything.

Still stuck in my old ways. Your right I should split my archers.

So if I give Arnise two archers and move the longthorn into Meridh's troop it should be quite an improvement.

with all the multi track models and models with healer, a cure 2 spell is worth more than two cure 1s. And I might think about a bless rather than the slow depending on the cost difference.

another thought, because you are not using arnise's elite slot, why not take something that can move faster for that unit.

the centaur sgt. is cheaper by a couple of points, has a better dv, better charge, first strike, and unlike you enemy's cav. . .can charge through woods without a movement penalty. sure the centaur warriors cost a little more than a death seeker, but with an effective charge range of 15" you don't even have to deploy them as a forward guard. but if you want to they will be sitting as far out as 21" before the first initiative card is thrown. this will give your enemy something to think and to worry about, because on their turn they can charge and be 36" across the board or double move + charge and be well behind the enemy lines.

plus you are going to want something to counter your enemy's fast movers. . .if they know they are playing against elves you know they are going to bring them.

from playtesting. . .my biggest point of advice with them is to have them gang up on their targets. even with a mav7 you are going to need some pretty good numbers to hit enemy cavalry models. if you can get the drop on them and charge first you will win the battle of numbers. if you enemy gets the drop on them be prepared to cry.

With the elves getting a little stronger in melee after the new rules, has anyone tried an army that is based more towards melee combat and not ranged? I am still in the routine of having about 6-7 archers on the board in a 1500 point game and it seems to be pretty effective with the new sure shot. On the other hand, I am concerned about how the elves fair in a 1500 point army with about 2-3 archers and the rest melee or spell based. Once I get an army together I'll post it, but for the time being I am wondering if any of you have done this.

not yet.

but as a whole the elves, even with the boost to melee, are not a go get them type of army. you have to think that even with our boost, the armies we are fighting have also been boosted and it averages out to about the same amount of damage being taken by our warriors.

not yet.

but as a whole the elves, even with the boost to melee, are not a go get them type of army. you have to think that even with our boost, the armies we are fighting have also been boosted and it averages out to about the same amount of damage being taken by our warriors.

Deathseekers and Royal Guards are equal to and cheaper that Dwarf Warriors and Berserkers. Longthorns and Swordsman are equal to and cheaper that Halberds or Swiftaxes. For the price of two bears you can get 3 centaurs which is very comparable. I think an elf melee force could be very tough. Both warlords are worth taking. Mossbeard is on par with just about any hero in the game under 200 points. The eagle is pretty equal to the griffin.