not yet.

but as a whole the elves, even with the boost to melee, are not a go get them type of army. you have to think that even with our boost, the armies we are fighting have also been boosted and it averages out to about the same amount of damage being taken by our warriors.

Deathseekers and Royal Guards are equal to and cheaper that Dwarf Warriors and Berserkers. Longthorns and Swordsman are equal to and cheaper that Halberds or Swiftaxes. For the price of two bears you can get 3 centaurs which is very comparable. I think an elf melee force could be very tough. Both warlords are worth taking. Mossbeard is on par with just about any hero in the game under 200 points. The eagle is pretty equal to the griffin.

First, you're comparing two adepts (rg and ds) to a grunt and an adept.

so let's look at same type comparisons.

elf warrior dwarf warrior

cost 30 pts. cost 39 pts.

3 damage tracks 4 damage tracks (tough)

dv 10 (11 w/deflect) dv 12 (13 w/deflect)

mav 5 (2 attacks) mav 4 (2 attacks w/trencher)

advantage here has to be to the dwarf warrior. sure he is slower coming across the field, but with a 13 dv vs. archery he is most likely going to make it. and once in combat only needs a 6 to hit the elf warrior, where as the elf needs a 7 to hit the dwarf. also, with trencher, if you've brought along reach support the defensive strikes are going to hurt just as much as a regular attack.

your comparison of the bear to the centaur is equal in terms of adept vs adept, but even with 3 centaurs vs. 2 bears my money will be with the bears. the bears have fearsome, which means the centaurs have to make dis checks to get into b2b, the have a higher base dv, and while their mav is one less than the centaur they do have one extra attack. not to mention an extra damage track and tough/3.

the elves are not meant to be a go get them type of army. they have to plan their charges well in advance and make sure they have both the numbers and the terrain advantage when doing it.

elf warrior dwarf warrior

cost 30 pts. cost 39 pts.

3 damage tracks 4 damage tracks (tough)

dv 10 (11 w/deflect) dv 12 (13 w/deflect)

mav 5 (2 attacks) mav 4 (2 attacks w/trencher)

advantage here has to be to the dwarf warrior. sure he is slower coming across the field, but with a 13 dv vs. archery he is most likely going to make it. and once in combat only needs a 6 to hit the elf warrior, where as the elf needs a 7 to hit the dwarf. also, with trencher, if you've brought along reach support the defensive strikes are going to hurt just as much as a regular attack.

Of coarse the advantage goes to the Dwarf, he's 9 points more expensive so you get more bang for your buck. But for every 3 Dwarf Warriors you field, I can field 4 Elf Warriors, meaning for roughly the same points cost I do indeed have the same number of damage tracks that you have, just spread over more models, and more models means I have more attacks than you, and more opportunity to gain support bonus' because I have a greater number of models. Also remember Elf warriors have ranger, and a move of 7, this means that they are unlikely to have to weather a hail of arrows for more than a single turn (especially if they have a standard bearer) as their Ranger move and a double move means they can close 21 inches by the end of their first activation (+3 with a standard, and a further +2 if they can charge), which is a far cry from the 8 inch double move a Dwarf Warrior can potentially do in it's first activation (12 with a standard).

Both models have their merits, and I think it's a pretty even match.

I think you could make a credible elf melee force. It won't be the most amazing thing ever seen, but it won't embarrass itself.

But why would you? If you really want to play melee guys, there are plenty of factions that focus on melee you could use. You pick Elves because you want ranged attacks and magic, and at least now your melee troops aren't a liability.

If you want to make an all melee army as a lark, recognize that you aren't playing to your faction's strength and you'll probably be at a disadvantage.

PS

I have to agree that you arn't playing to your stregnths if to choose to go all melee, but you certainly could go primarily melee (4-6 melee models), with 2 archers in each troop, and I'd guess you'd be extremely successful. Elven Warriors arn't the chumps they used to be, and with Sure shot, RAV 5, and Marksman, Elven Archers are just as good as they've always been (I know some disagree).

Well I word on the tourney this weekend so here it goes

1600 points

Elven (1597)

Eawod Greater Magic Armor

3 warriors

Archer

Arnise magic armor shadowy contacts

3 death seekers

2 archers

Meridh

2 Warriors

2 archers

Longthorn

Centaur archer outrider

Dehanis outrider

Hold

2 cure 2

Divine vigor

Daereth magic armor tactics book

3 royal guards

2 archers

What do you think?

thanks for any input

I think you'd gain more from putting Dehanis into Eawod's troop and upgrading one of her Cure 2's to a Cure 3, and her Divine Vigor to a Bless. I've found in the past that stand alone Spellcasters arn't nearly as effective as ones incorporated in a troop, but maybe I'm just not using them properly.

I think you'd gain more from putting Dehanis into Eawod's troop and upgrading one of her Cure 2's to a Cure 3, and her Divine Vigor to a Bless. I've found in the past that stand alone Spellcasters arn't nearly as effective as ones incorporated in a troop, but maybe I'm just not using them properly.

Thanks alot SE

How have you been using casters?

I wanted her to be flexible, able to support multiple troops more efectively.

Plus she adds a cards to my initiative deck. In the past havin the initiative has been a keystone in my armies.

Over in the Freelance thread there are two army lists posted by Stubdog and Shakandra that could very easily converted to Even lists by using Long Thorns, Centaur Warriors, Meridh and archers.

Thanks alot SE

How have you been using casters?

I wanted her to be flexible, able to support multiple troops more efectively.

Plus she adds a cards to my initiative deck. In the past havin the initiative has been a keystone in my armies.

The problem with spellcaster solos is protecting them. It's hard to keep some grunts around the caster. You can still heal everywhere, and use Divine Vigor on any model, and it's even more effective within the troop.

Also consider Niriodel instead of Dehanis. Another ranged attack...

PS

Darin (Sparkey) used the following list at RCon to gain second place.

1000 points

Troop 1

Eawod

11 Centaurs warriors

musician

standard

Troop 2

Eagle

Simple yet very affective.

Darin (Sparkey) used the following list at RCon to gain second place.

1000 points

Troop 1

Eawod

11 Centaurs

musician

standard

Troop 2

Eagle

Simple yet very affective.

centaur archers or warriors?

edited...

warriors

very fast, first strike things from across the table. Mav 7 means its gonna hit most of the time. Mav10 if you do it in groups.

Eawod with his RAV11 crit shot standing back knocking down tough opponents, or dropping multiple smaller ones with his marksman. And sure shot means he makes sure he hits something.

And with all models having ranger, in secnario games, they get there faster...

Well the 1597 list got me second at the Miscon tourney and at such a small margin between 1st and 2nd (less than 100 points) I came away with my head held high.

I did not have a problem with dehanis flying solo just kept her behind my lines away from danger.

The lone centaur was lackluster at best but he is a very cheap card. I think I'll drop it for now to free up points for a mage.

I am very impressed with deathseekers and royal guard this weekend 3 deathseekers killed both Gerard and Logan battlefury (archers helped). The royal guard are rock solid and warmaster is amazing. Royal guard as a wall and deathseekers as a counter attack is a fearsome combo.

For their part the guard defeated a unit of justicars and the hydra its understood archers helped

Archers that reroll is astounding need I say more? Thanks for letting me on to splitting the archers into each troop.

warriors are cheap and expendable (hydra)

the longthorn never saw action.

Eawod that crit shot is sweet I was able to plug clerics and mages without rolling and it is great against super high DV units he is pricy though I may try Dani next and spend the extra points on archers.

Well that sums up my expiriences for now

good luck and happy gaming

After looking in the Dwarves and Reptus threads, I'm kind of disappointed that Gus didn't announce the new models for the Elves: Sniper, Rangers, 2 Heroes, and a Satyr Captain. Where's the love at Gus? ::(: