Crusaders

Another question, is there different heraldry within the crusaders? Because I would like to paint my knights up in different heraldry from different regions.

No.

BUT: the proxy rules for Warlord are very liberal: for official tournaments (namely, ReaperCon, GenCon, and Origins), you can use any Reaper mini for any non-unique mini as long as it is on the right sized base. So, you can use any of the knight minis that Reaper makes.

One of these days, I'm going to put an Ogre on the proper large base and use him for one of my Reven Ogres.

A Borsig-Spline Ogre from CAV that is. :devil:

Rules for store tournies, friendly play, and BL sponsored tournies are up to the person sponsoring. Most BLs encourage people to use whatever minis they have (including GW) for proxies (put on the proper bases) until they pick up the Warlord minis.

715/750pts. Thoughts on what I should add, what to drop?

I would add either the Celestial Lion, the Hound of Judgement, or Sir Conlan (or pick up all three) and swap out as desired.

If you add Sir Conlan, you take 3 of the Templar Knights and put them in Sir Conlan's troop. Sir Conlan serves as a sergeant and a healer.

Ron

PS: I'd love to come out and run a game for you, but I think that my wife would kill me. :;):

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabid! Rabid! *froths at mouth*

Ah, the gaming addiction starts again...

Are unforgiven useful? The large box with rulebook tempts me so...

Also, the hound of judgement would require me to talk halbarad would it not? Because it must be summoned by a cleric?

Are unforgiven useful? The large box with rulebook tempts me so...

Yes, they are useful hard hitters.

Also, the hound of judgement would require me to talk halbarad would it not? Because it must be summoned by a cleric?

No. The Hound of Judgment can be placed on the board at the start of the game. Summoned (Cleric) means that it can also start play off board and the come on board when summoned by a cleric. Can be useful as a surprise.

Ron

No. The Hound of Judgment can be placed on the board at the start of the game. Summoned (Cleric) means that it can also start play off board and the come on board when summoned by a cleric. Can be useful as a surprise.

It's also an effective way to stack the initiative deck in those early turns so you can force your opponent to move first, and then allow you to react. Usually first turn and deployment this is very helpful. 2nd turn depends on how close to combat you are. I've seldom gone into turn 3 and not wanted those extra cards in the deck suddenly.

And remember, Models with Summoned(Cleric) can be summoned by ANY cleric (model w/ SA: Cleric X/Y) in your army.

What are peoples opinions on mages? Specifically valandil, and other more generic clerics?

Do people take offensive spells, healing spells, or more "debuff/buff" sort of spells. I like the look of the things like shockwave, teleport, burst of speed, stun etc.

Are they best just used as magical batteries to kill off a few enemies at range?

Which faction has a strong magical presence, that isn't undead?

Things I keep in mind when buying magic:

1) Number of spells - A spell that you don't get to cast is a wasted spell. So I rarely bring more than 3 spells per caster, since with ranges of typically 18 inches I'll not be casting anything for the first turn (and maybe not the second turn either). Also the caster can get killed. I've found it likely that I get to cast 3 spells, 50/50 whether 4 spells is worth it and 5 spells are almost always too much.

2) Cost of spells and caster combined compared to what else I could get. IMO using mages in a role missile grunts might as well fill is a waste of points, generally I'll get more bang per point just buying regular missile grunts. That doesn't mean the missile type spells are no good, it's just that I usually bring the mage for other stuff and missile spells are a secondary thing to me. I like bringing the "stun" spell. Also casters are great in many scenarios where their spells can turn the tide at a decisive moment. Often casting a stun spell on the last turn of a scenario can really change things.

3) Enemies have multiple damage tracks. Unless you're willing to put a LOT of points into spells you won't be killing stuff at range, but merely damaging it. This isn't bad and doesn't mean casters suck, but if you expect enemies to die left and right from your magic barrage you'll probably be disappointed.

4) The three stage rocket. Damage from melee attacks are only applied AFTER all attacks have been resolved. Damage from missile fire is only applied AFTER all missile attacks have been resolved. Damage from spells are only applied af all spells have been resolved. This means that attacking with a mix of ranged,melee and spells can be much more effective than focusing only on one aspect. If you use your high level mage to toss a fireball at the enemy formation with high DV models, he will only give each model 1 point of damage BUT this is applied before your missile troops fire, making it easier for them to wound the enemy, which in turn brings the DV even further down before your melee fighters charge in.

The "Three stage rocket" takes some planning to get right but can be very useful when facing enemies that are hard to take down.

Overall casters are expensive. Think about what you expect your caster to do on the battlefield. If it's a role other troops can do instead then chances are the points are better spent on these other troops. For instance I have poor experience using mages to "kill stuff at range" compared to just using my crossbowmen.

Edited by vejlin

Thought I would post this here and see what people though for initial purchases/list. Its a 750 list.

Duke Gerard w/ Holy Weapon, GMA, Hold, Dispel

Valandil w/ Fireball, Ice Blast, Stun

8x Templar Knights

Hound of Judgement

Sir Conlan w/ Blessing, MA

3x Ivy Crown Archers

The hound can be summoned on through either conlan to protect the missile troops from fast flankers, or from the duke as part of the main fighting force.

Blessing on conlan will make the archers slightly more effective, and combined with Valandil, I am counting on them to plink away at range while the duke and the knights close. Valandil also has stun to lock down a pesky solo or nasty warlard/captain, the same reason I bought my own dispel.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice. Considering that, I put together this list, which I cross posted in the crusaders tactics hread, although that hasn't been posted in in a while :ph34r:

Its a 750 list.

Duke Gerard w/ Holy Weapon, GMA, Hold, Dispel

Valandil w/ Fireball, Ice Blast, Stun

8x Templar Knights

Hound of Judgement

Sir Conlan w/ Blessing, MA

3x Ivy Crown Archers

The hound can be summoned on through either conlan to protect the missile troops from fast flankers, or from the duke as part of the main fighting force. Conlan can also put up a bit of a fight in melee to protect the archers as well.

Blessing on conlan will make the archers slightly more effective, and combined with Valandil, I am counting on them to plink away at range while the duke and the knights close. Valandil also has stun to lock down a pesky solo or nasty warlard/captain, the same reason I bought my own dispel.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty good.

You may eventually want to replace some of the knights with Ironspines or Hospitaliers. Also, occasionally substitute Halbarad for Valandil.

Another thing to consider is to eventually get some other Knights or Unforgiven so that you can also field an Army of Justice variant (just the thing for beating up on Necropolis).

Ron

I like the army, although I have a question. You are making an elf and a crusader army?

At this stage, I am considering my options for one or both yes. Variety is good. :ph34r:

Looks pretty good.

You may eventually want to replace some of the knights with Ironspines or Hospitaliers. Also, occasionally substitute Halbarad for Valandil.

Another thing to consider is to eventually get some other Knights or Unforgiven so that you can also field an Army of Justice variant (just the thing for beating up on Necropolis).

Ron

I'll try that out. They seem to have much better FA's than the default crusader list.

I'd swap out 3 of your Templar Knights for Ironspines if you have the figures available to make use of Reach/Trencher on the Knights.

Ironspines will be next. This was just a generic starting list, based on the starter pack.

Thanks all.