Thanks for the replies guys!

Game play issues won't be a problem, the thing I'm concerned the most is a basic army build that I would later expand. So maybe you could give me a few examples of what such an army would look like? I'm especially interested in seeing Margara in my list since she's the only Warlord mini I have at the moment... and that the mini simply rocks ^^

I would also appreciate any tips on how to play the Dwarves, it seems to me that they're a whole lot different from whfb ones.

Regards,

G

I'd suggest a 1000 point army, 500 is not much more than a demo force and most people won't even want to play that small as it puts too many constraints on the built many models are 200 points each or more Rathuros and Uriel are over 300, a level 3 cleric or mage with armor, familiars and spells can easily be over 250.

Also Margara is a very expensive mage and she has a low DV ie she dies easily. To take a 90 point mage you need to give the armor and probably a familiar to make them worth their cost. Now you've dumped 160 points in her so she'll need to really deal some damage, so you need to add spells that will have the opportunity to hit numerous models... three of those will be about 70-130 more.

Fulumbar

Margara, Ice Shard, 2 fireballs

2 piercers

4 warriors

8 models

1 troop

1 card

491 points

I would suggest buying a nine pack of grunts... either warriors or halberds. Then get a the King and Fulumbar and Ivar. For range I would skip the piercers and get Kara and Snorri. With spells and equipment that is a solid 1000 point army.

King

Ivar

Margara

5 grunts

Fulumbar

kara

4 Grunts

Snorri

15 models

3 troops

4 cards

833 points

177 points for equipment and magic.

The first army just isn't very good IMO because 500 points can't support a mage, but the second I would field even for a big tournament.

IMO the best 500 point army would be a straight melee force of Fulumbar and Gargram with music and 9 warriors, it would be 497.

Dwarf tips:

Always take musicians as Dwarfs have a faction ability linked to them.

Dwarves are Warlords melee masters, they are a walk down the enemies throat and rip out their spleen kind of army, not a finesse group.

Shieldmaidens and Warriors will win the game for you most of the time.

Piecers are vastly over rated.

The King is the best Warlord but all the dwarf leader kick... you know what.

Dwarfs have great clerics and Ivar is overlooked but probably the most useful.

Bears are scary but are flanking models or need to attack with a group of models.

Burrowers are too expensive. The two elementals are good.

Never let the Griffin get attacked by an angel... its not pretty.

Haggard and the kneebreakers can hit at 12 in optimum conditions.

Dwarfs have a nasty pig that rocks.

Its Dwarfs not Dwarves. Dwarfs are not vertically challenged, they just like being close to the earth.

• Like 1

durthenBerserkeronBoar.jpg

Is this not the most beautiful thing ever?!

How will I mount the wings?

You'll find a way . :poke:

I like this sculp but I'm not to sure about the Lesser Elemental . <_<

Well I have to agree, the Durthen sculpt is just great! I know what I want for Christmas…

I have to say that the lesser elemental looks strange, but I’ll wait to see the actual model before coming to any conclusion.

Anyway the guys have been doing a great job and Ursula will be here so soon…

Is there a link to the lesser elemental that I am missing?

Also I agree the Boar rider is good... Makes me pine for a whole troop of them...

and thirdly...

I have never seen a mostly zerker group... any one developed an army list around them

What;s the beef with zerkers.. BTW

Is there a link to the lesser elemental that I am missing?

Also I agree the Boar rider is good... Makes me pine for a whole troop of them...

and thirdly...

I have never seen a mostly zerker group... any one developed an army list around them

Here's the link to the Lesser Elemental . :upside:

The beef with the zerkers is that they are low DV. Nothing wrong with them at all, they can do some cool things. Its just that when you see a bunch of DV12-13 dwarves (warriors, shieldmaidens, bear riders, etc..) people just have a hard time wanting to use DV 9 guys even if they do pack a punch.

The beef with the zerkers is that they are low DV. Nothing wrong with them at all, they can do some cool things. Its just that when you see a bunch of DV12-13 dwarves (warriors, shieldmaidens, bear riders, etc..) people just have a hard time wanting to use DV 9 guys even if they do pack a punch.

I understand with point costs dwarves are always or usually out numbered, but dishing out damage seems to me the best way to even up the sides...

You have to over come the power curve of numbers... is thier only drawback I can see

I understand with point costs dwarves are always or usually out numbered, but dishing out damage seems to me the best way to even up the sides...

You have to over come the power curve of numbers... is thier only drawback I can see

But they don't really dish out any more punishment than a Shieldmaiden, and although Berserker, 360, frenzy and first strike are great, the fact that they have a DV that is 3 points lower and one less track make it hard for a lot of players to take them. Shieldmaidens also have perks of their own like trencher and deflect/2, they are by far the best defensive soldier in the game and with warmaster and trencher they are hitting better after attacked than when attacking. With Deflect/2 only a select few elites and leaders can even hit them without a natural ten, I don't think any grunts or adepts can them without a ten. So they are effectively a walking protective wall that you can bring your weaker DV models in behind.

• Like 1

...and with warmaster and trencher they are hitting better after attacked than when attacking.

Huh? I'd say they hit exactly as well when attacked as when attacking.

With Deflect/2 only a select few elites and leaders can even hit them without a natural ten, I don't think any grunts or adepts can them without a ten. So they are effectively a walking protective wall that you can bring your weaker DV models in behind.

Huh? For ranged attacks most troops with crossbows will need 9 or 10 to hit if they use "Critical Shot", and in close combat anything with a MAV of 4 or more will damage on 9+. I'd hardly call MAV 4 or better a "select few elites and leaders". My overlord warriors at 28 points have two MAV 4 attacks each.

...and with warmaster and trencher they are hitting better after attacked than when attacking.

Huh? I'd say they hit exactly as well when attacked as when attacking.

With Deflect/2 only a select few elites and leaders can even hit them without a natural ten, I don't think any grunts or adepts can them without a ten. So they are effectively a walking protective wall that you can bring your weaker DV models in behind.

Huh? For ranged attacks most troops with crossbows will need 9 or 10 to hit if they use "Critical Shot", and in close combat anything with a MAV of 4 or more will damage on 9+. I'd hardly call MAV 4 or better a "select few elites and leaders". My overlord warriors at 28 points have two MAV 4 attacks each.

With Trencher you get plus one, so a model with Trencher and Warmaster is actually going to deal more damage with its defensive shots than it would with a regular offensive attack.

As for the other thing I am referring to range throughout the entire paragraph.

• Like 1

ah OK. I still don't get the defensive thing though, you only get the +1 if there's a dude with "reach" behind you, same as on offense.

ah OK. I still don't get the defensive thing though, you only get the +1 if there's a dude with "reach" behind you, same as on offense.

Well I kind of took it for granted that if I was using trencher as an example that you'd understand that they had a reach support.

• Like 1

yeah, but I'm still not understanding. If you have reach support then you'll still be hitting as hard in defense as in offense, not harder. You're really confusing me today. Sorry for being dense.

Edited by vejlin

Quick 1000 popint group that includes Margara

Troop 1 (8, 551)

Logrim - (bless)

Margara - (2x ice shard, ice blast, counterspell)

2x Piercers

4x warriors - musician

Troop 2 (8, 448)

Freya

3x Shieldmaidens

2x Halberdiers - musician

2x Mancatchers

-----------------------------------------

16 models, 999 points

In ths build, Margara's job is to kock on the mid level adepts and elites. With only a CP7 (8 if you use the bless on her) you cant realistically target the upper elites and leaders since ther MDs will be too high. But, she can still be very affective in weakening the enemy troops to where your crossbows can use the critical shots to finish them off. Use the warriors to shield the caster and crossbows.

And the other troop uses the shieldmaidens and Freya to get across the field with the halberds and mancatchers in tow. Then the man catchers can run around the line and use their first strike and disable to catch someone sleeping, or better yet attack a horse rider with their smite. Halberds would provide the offensive and defensive bonuses to the ladies.

Would like to add a bear rider in there for speed, but at 1000, it really is kinda a decision between Margara or the rider.

yeah, but I'm still not understanding. If you have reach support then you'll still be hitting as hard in defense as in offense, not harder. You're really confusing me today. Sorry for being dense.

Your right my wording wasn't clear I was compairing a Shieldmaiden on offence and defence to a Berserker. It should have been... and with warmaster and trencher they are hitting better after attacked than berserkers

• Like 1