Thanks for the help! Now that I have a general idea of how things work with the dwarfs and have some army lists and tips I can base my army build on I think I'll manage to come up with a decent troop.

Regards,

G

Despite the fact that I feel the Dwarf mages inherently suck (thanks to the fact I have yet to EVER win a game in which I have used one), I have a 2,000 point army in which I used both mages as well as a couple of other units I have never used. I have no clue if this army is any good or not.

King Thorgram + GMA

Margara + GF + 1 Lightning Blast + 2 Stun + 2 Ice Blast + 1 Bolt

Gilam + GF + 1 Lightning Bolt + 2 Stun + 1 Ice Blast

3 Miners

4 Kneebreakers

2 Warriors

Musician

Hagard

5 Kneebreakers

Musician

Lesser Earth Elemental

Annasha Tombreaker

Tohil

4 Piercers

Musician

Gargram

4 Mancatchers

Musician

Totals: 1,997 Points, 30 Models, 6 Troops

This army is not designed to rush across the field and engage the enemy. Why the musician, you ask? Well, just because I am not rushing across the field doesn't mean I am not attempting to run around someone at some point, so the extra 2" would be handy. ^_^

Use the Burrowers to your advantage. The mages and shooters are there to (hopefully) whittle down the opponent before they hit your line. I like Kneebreakers because they hit...HARD. Get 4 on one big guy and BAM!! That's 4 attacks at MAV 11. Not too many things will be feeling good afterwards. :devil:

But, I'm not looking to hear "My army design of BLAH can beat this because...". I could care less. This is just a list I thought might be fun to try.

Wild Bill :blues:

I'd drop some of the spells on your casters. Do you think it will be likely you will have 5 and 4 rounds to cast offensive spells, and with undamaged Mages no less? If you are going to carry that many you might want to consider a defensive spell or two beyond Bolt, which can be used either way. Will give you some points to use elsewhere, like armoring the Mages.

If you're going to consider jacking Margie up so much, maybe a Cleric on board for Healer or a Cure might not hurt to make sure she sticks around long enough to fling all that death.

Edited by Qwyksilver

I must agree WildBill on never winning with mages, to me its not that Mages are bad they just cost to much to outfit and then don't infict enough damage to be useful. I feel the same way about 99% of the archers in the game. So, with that said... I think that list will take a real beating, but you never can tell it may be great.

• Like 1

Critical Shot really helps the Piercers along with the increased range Xbow now have in RC2007. Get them in a defensible position and use some of your brick walls for defense and they are a really major pain in the butt to deal with. Concentrating their fire on single targets can just blow away opponents easily. Instead of wounding a couple three guys, make sure you kill one or two if you want the Archery to be truly effective.

Magic is not as potent as it used to be, but with good combinations, it can be brutal. Hold and Stun are particularly nasty to use in combination with some good melee troops to kill off entire troops without taking a scratch. AOE damage spells are no longer the crowd control that it used to be, but it can still be effective. I tend to use more buff spells and things like hold and stun instead of the AOE damage spells unless facing a horde. If I take pure damage spells, I will usually go with one of the 3 point damagers.

Do you think it will be likely you will have 5 and 4 rounds to cast offensive spells, and with undamaged Mages no less? If you are going to carry that many you might want to consider a defensive spell or two beyond Bolt, which can be used either way.

I do expect my mages to cast at least 3 of their spells, yes. 4-5 may be pie in the sky, and barring some incredibly crappy luck with the initiative deck, I should get 3 spells off. Well, cast anyways. Wounding anything is another matter. :rolleyes:

Show me a Mage Defensive spell beyond Bolt and Poison (which is LAME!!!!!!!!!!!) that the Dwarves can take and I'll be happy too. :devil:

I really like the Piercers now that they have been buffed quite a bit. They usually do quite a bit of damage for me. ^_^

Counter Spell

Keep 3 offensive spells, and a pair of Counterspells just in case someone decides to drop some magic you.

If you're gonna waste points on spells you're not going to likely cast, might as well have them only cost 10 points.

Counter Spell

Keep 3 offensive spells, and a pair of Counterspells just in case someone decides to drop some magic you.

If you're gonna waste points on spells you're not going to likely cast, might as well have them only cost 10 points.

Blah...unless someone takes a mage (or is casting a spell near me), it is useless. I can still use a Bolt (at only 5 points!!!) on the offensive. Sorry Qwyk. I'll stick with my Bolts and other spells. I'm stubborn that way. I'm a Dwarf. ::P::lol:

I've had some success with Margara. She actually is fairly powerful. She's no Moandain or Ashkrypt, but she's not a lame duck either. I always boost her CP, and from there I usually give her an aoe spell - typically one of the lightening variety - and one or two direct damage spells. I like the 3 damage ice spell as well. I'm also a HUGE fan of scare. Having a mage scare a pile of troops makes all the difference in the world. All the sudden they're a gimme to hit, and your opponent has to decide "do I live with the -2CP for another round, or do I not attack and recoup my DV loss?" It's a wonderful problem to give your opponent! Either way, you win. And the spell's dirt cheap too, so you can afford to take a few. Some people look down on the low damage aoe spells. I think that's because they compare it to old-school Firestorm which could demolish an entire troop in one shot. But remember that you're saving alot of points now, too! Firestorm only costs 30 points now. And while one damage doesn't win the game for you, it softens the enemy up just a little so that when the initial charges take place your models are a little more likely to come out ahead, which generally speaking means they'll stay ahead.

And I don't think I'll ever look down on the power of the multiple damage ice spells - not since the Witch Queen cored Logan Battlefury with Ice(4) at point blank range! It's really nice to be able to reach out and maul a model.

Another benefit of using a mage is that it gives you another avenue of attack; we'll take for granted that you've got the melee avenue. Chances are you'll have the ranged avenue. Magic completes it with the third avenue. Now you can hit a model with a spell and knock off some tracks, then push an arrow or two into it and knock some more tracks off. When you charge that target, you're nearly guaranteeing yourself a kill, and you've seriously diminished the enemy's ability to strike back with defensive strikes. That can make all the difference when going up against powerhouse warmasters.

All that said, I do think the dwarves gain far more from a cleric than they do from a mage. Dwarves rarely have trouble applying death to the enemy, but they're mostly always outnumbered, so being able to keep one or two models on their feet via spells is a huge boon. The extra killing power of a mage can sometimes get lost in the slaughterfest that Dwarves can produce on the tabletop.

All that said, I do think the dwarves gain far more from a cleric than they do from a mage. Dwarves rarely have trouble applying death to the enemy, but they're mostly always outnumbered, so being able to keep one or two models on their feet via spells is a huge boon. The extra killing power of a mage can sometimes get lost in the slaughterfest that Dwarves can produce on the tabletop.

I agree I played a 2000 game with all four clerics.

• Like 1

How 'bout that Dire Bear? That one's definitely going on the shopping list... Probably would come in handy for a druid character as well.

How 'bout that Dire Bear? That one's definitely going on the shopping list... Probably would come in handy for a druid character as well.

I'm just waiting to see all the conversions of it with added Armor thanks to Golden Compass :lol:

I'm just waiting to see all the conversions of it with added Armor thanks to Golden Compass :lol:

Thats funny... I just ordered the 'Chick on Bear" to do just that...