I got to see the artwork and work in progress greens of both the miner and the Spirit while at RCon...

I played my first game with the new Dwarfs. It was 2000 points. I took 10 shieldmaidens, Stone spirit, Griffin, Bear, 6 miners, halberds...

The solos none really paid for themselves.

Interesting. I find that a Stone Spirit is a fantastic model, and almost always pays for itself in kill 'em all games. Burrow is great for getting the jump on critical models, it's speed is quite good, and it can just stand there and take a beating for a while when you need it to.

Solos never work well for me, except the human ones... the new Snorri is great. My Griffin routinely dies within a round of contact. this game he was ripped into confetti by Uriel, while in flight. The Stone Spirit is probably great in anothers hands, and would be killer if he was in a troop and not solo. In my experience players want to kill your big models. I've had opponent actually disengage from a grunt to re-engage with the monster. I think next time I'll summon him so he is in the middle of a troop. I did bring him up beside a troop but he was still swarmed he had three models with reach support on both open sides by the end of the turn. He was taking 12-20 shots a round for the two he lived.

I would rather have three maidens.

• Like 1

I've got some in Craclaw I can sell you but they didn't put up much of a fight either. :lol:

hmm, you got three to my what nine o'lord casualties?

maybe we should have made time to finish that game....

I played my first game with the new Dwarfs. It was 2000 points. I took 10 shieldmaidens, Stone spirit, Griffin, Bear, 6 miners, halberds...

The solos none really paid for themselves.

Interesting. I find that a Stone Spirit is a fantastic model, and almost always pays for itself in kill 'em all games. Burrow is great for getting the jump on critical models, it's speed is quite good, and it can just stand there and take a beating for a while when you need it to.

Solos never work well for me, except the human ones... the new Snorri is great. My Griffin routinely dies within a round of contact. this game he was ripped into confetti by Uriel, while in flight. The Stone Spirit is probably great in anothers hands, and would be killer if he was in a troop and not solo. In my experience players want to kill your big models. I've had opponent actually disengage from a grunt to re-engage with the monster. I think next time I'll summon him so he is in the middle of a troop. I did bring him up beside a troop but he was still swarmed he had three models with reach support on both open sides by the end of the turn. He was taking 12-20 shots a round for the two he lived.

I would rather have three maidens.

To be quite honest with you, I love the Stone Spirit. Yes, he is a tank. But, no, he can't go running off by himself without support. He will die. It is inevitable. However, Spirit is awesome if you want to go put the smack down on something. I have used it to kill off an enemy mage I knew was more expensive than the Spirit, after spells and stuff. Yes, the Spirit got surrounded, but managed to take down another model and put a third on its last track before dieing. Not bad. The Griffon should not have stayed in the air if you are facing Uriel. You can't touch it. Keep it on the ground where you can support it in close combat. In my last game I played my opponent had Judas and 3 gargoyles flying around. I had the Griffon. His butt stayed firmly planted on the ground where he had halberdier and maiden help.

I haven't tried out Snorri in the new rules yet, although I plan on it. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

Doooo it!! You know you want to! He's so good!

He's THE dwarven terror at range. Especially against the living since he has Poison Shot. He rips into practically any target with ease. He got a rather splendid DV boost so he can hold his own in melee now as well.

tip for using Snorri or Kara: Keep them nearby something that the enemy wants dead more than they want snorri/kara dead. That way the enemy will attack that one, allowing you to slide in behind and backstab for extra stabbity death! Mages, Clerics and Warlords are good options for things the player might want dead more than snorri or kara.

If snorri's all alone, or has only soldiers nearby, when the enemy attacks that area you can bet Snorri will get attacked, which limits how much he can get Backstab into play.

I've got some in Craclaw I can sell you but they didn't put up much of a fight either. :lol:

hmm, you got three to my what nine o'lord casualties?

maybe we should have made time to finish that game....

More like six. You and I both know Thorgrim and that cleric were toast. The only real threat left was the shield maidens and they wouldn't have held up against all that cavalry and phalanx. And the next turn Matisse and the remaining warriors and spearmen were going to be there. ::P:

The Griffon should not have stayed in the air if you are facing Uriel. You can't touch it. Keep it on the ground where you can support it in close combat. In my last game I played my opponent had Judas and 3 gargoyles flying around. I had the Griffon. His butt stayed firmly planted on the ground where he had halberdier and maiden help.

Yeah, I thought I would try to flank the left with him and the spirit as the Miners flanked the right. After setup he and Uriel were on opposite sides of the board, so I figured he didn't want to risk combat and was going to bombard me with Holt Bursts for a couple rounds. So the air seemed safe. I moved first and then he made a bee line toward me like a heat seeking missle, and got the next initiative and that was it. That Angel was hungry for bird. I think he is my new favorite model. He is justy nasty.

I've played Lurgh in every game I've played with my Bulls and he is pretty equal to snorri, and he is very tough. I just ordered a Snorri, I never bought him before because he seemed pretty useless, but the new has a lot of potential.

• Like 1

Here are the two lists I submitted for ReaperCon. I figure you guys can see them now. ::):

Freya + MA

3 Maidens

2 Halberdiers

Musician

Griffon

Gargram

4 Piercers

Musician

Gargram

3 Halberdiers

Musician

Totals: 999 Points, 16 Models, 4 Troops, 4 Init Cards

Ursula + MA

5 Bear Riders + 5 MA

Musician

Totem

Stone Spirit

Totals: 998 Points, 7 Models, 2 Troops, 2 Init Cards

Here's an army I almost submitted instead of the Griffon one. ^_^

Abjorn

4 Miners

Musician

Stone Spirit

Urusla

3 Bear Riders

Musician

Totals: 998 Points, 10 Models, 3 Troops, 3 Init Cards

I have never played with this army, so I'm not sure how well it would do...

More like six. You and I both know Thorgrim and that cleric were toast. The only real threat left was the shield maidens and they wouldn't have held up against all that cavalry and phalanx. And the next turn Matisse and the remaining warriors and spearmen were going to be there. ::P:

we'll never know now...

Is it just me, or do the Dwarves suddenly have like 10 new models? ::P:

Yeh , go to ReaperGames.com . ::D: I love the Valkyrie , Durthen/Boar Rider , Gilam (burrowing mage) and the Dire Bear . :blink:

Nice! I especially like the new infantry types. Though, it's sweet having a ranged leader! I can't decide what I like best!

I guess part of me feels like we should have gotten more melee heroes. Durthen's amazing, don't get me wrong. Then again, the Dwarves have always been a faction that was carried by its soldiers, so this expansion stays true to the feel of the faction, and that's a good thing. I'll play Overlords if I want elites everywhere.

I could go on forever, but I'll conclude with these few thoughts: All of these new models have loads of flavor, which is awesome; rgtriplec got his pig; it's going to be VERY hard to decide which ~40 point models to put in the list; we have a cheap grunt!

Love the new Dwarfs. I'm glad some of my suggestions were used the pig is foremost but I really, really wanted the one armed Tyr dwarf and the Valkrie for Norse flavor. I'm happy to see there are cheap grunts, the level 2 mage and level 3 cleric. I feel like its Christmas.

I love the new bears and lesser elemental as well.

Thanks, Gus ::D:

• Like 1

the one armed Tyr dwarf

For those that don't know, there's a reason Hagard the Maimed is called what he is, and has only 1 attack... :B):