Having following the recent Flyers post about an all flying army, I realise that no-one yet as mentioned Necropolis as been able to field one, yet we can.

So how about the following:

1000pt [ this is what believe currently the maximum reptus build can do 955 + items]

Judus

4 Gargoyles

Eikas

5 Crypt Bats

Bone Horror

Gargoyle Outrider

983pts plus 17pts for equipment

1500pts

Judas

Syphrilla

10 Gargoyles

Eikas

4 Crypt Bats

Bone Horror

Gargoyle Outrider

1500 pts, exactly.

2000pt (max I suppose as the max army we can field is 1531pts worth of figures)

Judas

Syphrilla

10 Gargoyles

Eikas

5 Crypt Bats

Bone Horror

Gargoyle Outrider

Battle Totem

1731pts, leaving 269pts for equipment

Thoughts? Other than where are you going to get 11 gargoyles from?

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started playing Warlord a few months ago and I was wondering if some of you were still fielding skeletons since Rage 2007?

If yes can some of you give me an example of a 1000 points company, I am new at this game and I appreciate any help I can get!

:wacko:

Just of the top of my head when I like to run the Crypt Legion out I use Azaphan with some Skellie Swordmen and Warriors with a couple of Wraiths . Another troop led by a Railor with more Skellie Swordmen and Warriors . A third troop led by Railor with 6 or 7 Skellie Archers . A Kaena the Banshhee and either another solo or a Totem to round it out .

The Death Riders cavalry can also be fun , you just have to fiddle things around to see what you like best and don't be afraid to proxy till you get your right formula . Nothing is set in stone ! :rolleyes:

I am not a Necro player, but figured I would try to help with a couple of ideas. I have no idea how they will work, but personally, I think they would be fun to try. At only 1000 points, you willbe limited in your options no matter which faction you go with, but I think these would be competitive.

Idea 1

Troop 1

Azaphran - Lesser Magic Armor 84

5x swordsmen 90

Troop 2

Azaphran 69

5x swordsmen 90

Troop 3

Sir Gadrun 50

5x deathriders 240

Troop 4

Lord Gauren 46

4x swordsmen 72

Troop 5

Bone Horror 157

Battle Totem 100

-----------------------------------

25 models, batle totem, 5 cards, 998 pnts

--------------------------------------------------------

Idea 2:

Troop 1

Moandain - greater familiar (Lightning blast, chain lightning, ice blast, counterspell, bolt) 329

4x Archers 120

5x swordsmen 90

Troop 2

Sir Gadrun 50

3x deathriders 144

Troop 3

Railor (bolt) 43

5x swordsmen 90

Troop 4

Railor (bolt) 43

5x swordsmen 90

-------------------------------------------

26 models, 5 cards, 999 pnts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea 3

Troop1

Kentaur 66

3x warriors 54

4x archers 120

Troop2

Gauren 46

3x harvesters 87

2x swordsmen 36

Troop3

Sir Gadrun 50

3x deathriders 144

Troop4

railor (2x bolt) 48

4x swordsmen 72

harvester 29

Troop5

railor (bolt) 43

4x swordsmen 72

harvester 29

Totem of Battle 100

-----------------------------------

30 models, battle totem, 5 cards, 996 pnts

First one has numbers, a totem to give some punch, and good defense in a few key models.

Second idea gives up the melee punch to get the casting punch of moandain, along with 8 shots from the archers to follow. Yet still has 25 more models to mop up after the spells wear out.

Third idea keeps the 8 marksmen shots while throwing waves of models with the battle totem at the enemy.

All three ideas of course rely on good tactics and dice rolling since the DVs of skellies in general are much lower than other factions. But, at the same time, the fact that they can put almost 3 to 1 models against the enemy and use the totem, support, and reach bonuses to do more offensive minded duties.

Ive used something very close to the third example with good success. It actually has 6 cards because Kentaur has Tactician. I tend to not use spells on Railor but bolt would give you a little ranged punch that would be worth trying. Just remember to pile them on and get your bonuses as high as you can and expect them to fall into a pile of bones from time to time.

Thanks guys for all the good advice.

I have found that the skeli archers are cost effective, but found myself having problems with my swordsmen and warriors… So now I will try a few new things!

I've never played using the skellies, but I've clashed against a few times now.

One thing I see are people using them as support with a more expensive elite, leader, or

adept.

If someone gets a charge to me with a Crimson and two skellies, I will usually take the defensive strike(s) on the Crimson, because this is probably the last time I'll see my highest mav.

The next activation the skellies can clean up and the Crimson can continue on to bigger and better things.

Of course that's just one way that we've come to use the cheaper models, but it usually works out. Their low DV and lack of damage tracks don't matter if you give the opponent something juicy to take a swing at.

I was answering based on DBs specific request related to the skellies, I did not include vampires, gargoyles, etc... I made my lists from the Crypt legion sub-list.

Now, if DB wants to include the crimsons and vamps and such, then I would probably give totally different suggestions, as the crimson stains are some of the most affective models in the game. But, those lists above still look like they would be fun to try.

• 3 months later...

Having already tried nasty rosters with vampires (I love feeding ability!!!), I have some thoughts about crypt legion sublist.

What would you say about that:

Moandain (11#, 730 Pts)

1 Moandain @ 269 Pts

1 Spell - Bolt @ [5] Pts

1 Spell - Bolt @ [5] Pts

1 Spell - Counterspell @ [10] Pts

1 Spell - Fireball @ [20] Pts

1 Spell - Summon Spectral Minions @ [30] Pts

1 Spell - Summon Spectral Minions @ [30] Pts

1 Sir Dauron, Deathknight @ 146 Pts

1 Lesser Magic Armor @ [15] Pts

3 Wraith Harvester @ 87 Pts

6 Zombie @ 228 Pts

Railor (5#, 168 Pts)

1 Railor @ 48 Pts

1 Spell - Bolt @ [5] Pts

1 Spell - Bolt @ [5] Pts

4 Skeletal Archer @ 120 Pts

Troop (1#, 101 Pts)

1 Kaena, Banshee @ 101 Pts

Total Company Cost: 999

Cannot predict how that would play, as there are only week fighters, although numerous.

Thought about Totem and Aysa with more minion spells and swapping Dauron's LMA for familiar. :unsure:

I think you are putting a lot of emphasis on Moandain being able to cast all of his spells before someone gets to him. There are some intruiging things here fo sure. Not looking at all my Necro stuff, I would maybe make a couple small suggestions...

Either swap Kaena or the 4 archers for some more melee. Your existing melee forces are not very tough and wont hold an enemy off for very long, so you wont really ahve time to have lots of ranged models out there. You can have a few but not that many and if you want Moandain to be chunking spells, then you will need more foot soldiers to hold the enemy away.

Whether it be for dead horses or just a bunch of skeletal swordmen. One would give you a little speed and offensive punch, whereas the fotmen would play more defenseive and try to hold steady for the caster behind them.

Mostly I agree with you.

Moandain has to cast only 3 things: 2xMinions at the start of the game and finish that with fireball, if enemy will set something too densely. Others work defensively, although no great need of counter spell.

It's really impossible to rely on magic to kill things, but even a few archers can give enough 10s in the case of tough guys like giant, for example, to soften them a bit. I admit, that for Railor bolts are near useless.

So the way is to multiply the number of models (minions) and take as much from the combat support bonuses as possible. Also the supporting/enhancing role of magic can do much, but we lack such. I mean something like blessing. May be worth trying to use fear/rigor mortis, but helps not too much against high MD.

I play against dwarves (magic sucks) and reven (magic rocks), darkspawn and overlords are on a horizon.

These are some quick thoughts. What do you think? :rolleyes:

P.S. I though that might be interesting to create a combat line and while engaged, blowthrough with Kaena along it.

No problems with discipline and good effect. Could that work?

blowthru works fine if you have a high enough number going against a lower number... The fact that you told me mainly dwarves means that it probably wont do what you want it to.

Swap the bolts for some stun spells, Moandain's casting is high enough to catch some grunts sleeping. Then swarm with the herd.