Overlords

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the abundance of leaders with one or more elites slots , I've found myself trying to fit in as many as possible , whenever possible . Love using Rogran and Balthon double , and with a little support , he can take down almost anything . Can't wait to see the sculp they do for Vincent the Chevy Captain but I'l need atleast another Chevy for a minimum troop . Having Bile as a non-unique in the faction list can be interesting and I already had a DHL one as well as Bile himself . ::D:

What?!?! No love for the Overlords?

I play an Onyx Legion army, and I hve to say that I am loving the Onyx Phalanx! The only problem with them is that they're slow. I also feel obligated to field them with a mage with counterspell because they're such a tempting target when they're all bunched together like that!

I play an Onyx Legion army, and I hve to say that I am loving the Onyx Phalanx! The only problem with them is that they're slow. I also feel obligated to field them with a mage with counterspell because they're such a tempting target when they're all bunched together like that!

I love the legion, but with the loss of the life transfer spell, their inability to heal damage is a detraction.

I love the legion, but with the loss of the life transfer spell, their inability to heal damage is a detraction.

Bah! There's enough tracks that healing isn't as important anymore.

I'll be getting a default list game soon, and let you know how it goes. I'll be playing a model I've never used before... :devil:

PS

I'll be playing a model I've never used before...

But, I thought you had played all things Overlord backwards and forwards...?

Time to field every model with Smite Evil in my arsenal

And that was the one gripe I had about Overlords... Granted they lowered the number of crusaders with it, but still, when they were handing out the smite evils on one side, they did not do a decent job of balancing out smite goods on the other side.

But, having said that, I have still managed to have some success with my overlords so far. Nothing to write tip books over yet, but at least they did not drop off as much as I had originally thought.

Was my first game with Selthak! He did moderately well.

Ashkrypt kicked so much Reven tail tho, that it was hard to notice anyone else's contributions.

Crossbowmen and Onyx Chevies together wiped out a minor troop. The Iks mob (honestly, a shadow of its former self) took down the Beastriders (with a little help from an Onyx Chevy and Lola...) Bile was this >< close to killing Yagun Oog before he got Ogred to death, then Ombur healed up Oog and it was like it never happened...

But Bile did keep Yagun away from the front so Ashy hit the Orcs with a Fireball, then the lines crashed (Berserkers vs Phalanx), where the Berserkers rolled terrible and the Phalanx rolled like gods (see signature...). Then Ashkrypt moved to the end of the line and hit every single Bull Orc with a Lightning Bolt. Was a thing of beauty. The only model Ash missed his CP roll on was... Iks! Yeah, I hit Iks, a Daughter of the Whip, and an Overlord Warrior with the Lightning. Really, it was a thing of beauty. Including my own guys, I think I hit 11 models. I would have hit the Onyx Golem too, but it was already stunned.

My crushing victory almost made up for the way Qwyk wiped me out in CAV earlier in the day. Almost.

PS

And that was the one gripe I had about Overlords... Granted they lowered the number of crusaders with it, but still, when they were handing out the smite evils on one side, they did not do a decent job of balancing out smite goods on the other side.

Overlords don't have any special hate of goody-goodies. We'll enslave anyone.

The two Smites I wanted the Overlords to have was Matisse with Smite(Duke Gerard)/1, and Zora with Smite(Overlords)/1...

Those would have been awesome, and well worth some points.

PS

It wasn't just the bad dice rolling that got me. The formation of that line of Phalanx was the real kicker, since it prevented me from getting any sort of support or Reach bonuses, which meant it was single attack on single attack, and with the better DV, it was only a matter of time for you to overcome. Of course, when Varaug only needs to roll a 3 or better to hit, and rolls a 2 and a 1 that doesn't help much either.

Selthak and Lola were both rather nasty. That Critical Poison shot combination is simply brutal. Even though they only had a 12 inch range, being able to potentially drop 3 points of damage in a single shot is worth it. Just make sure you can prevent Models from running around the flank, which you did, and they are golden.

And I definitely think I blew all my 9's and 10's in CAV yesterday. We should have played Warlord first :lol:

I found out a few happy things about my beloved Onyx Legion over the weekend.

Bear riders, even when they attack four at a time get slaughtered by warriors backed up by spearmen. Andras got taken out and Corvus but the rest of the lads went home with bear rugs.

The Onyx Golem and Xailor make great bait. :devil:

When Lorenth smashes into a flank with six Chevaliers and two Zephyr's not much survives. Next time it will be the Chevy Captain with Zephyr's and Lorenth with eight Chevaliers.

You need more than three crossbowman assembled in your box as opposed to still in blisters. The bears wouldn't have lasted as long as they had with a full troop of crossbowman led by Corvus.

Make room to pack your Wyvern.

Pure troops of warriors/spearmen or phalanx backed up by crossbowman seem to do better than mixing and matching warriors/spearman/crossbowman etc. in a single troop.

You don't really need mage's all that much. I played with no magic whatsoever and abused some dwarves badly.

All in all I couldn't have been happier at how well the lads did against the dwarves. Somehow the dwarves have gotten this reputation for being so tough but I didn't see it. There's a lot of new dwarf slaves on the block this week in Craclaw. :devil:

I had similar luck with my Onyx Legion cavalry force, Chris. I stomped all over Ben's dwarves (the bears, especially), fielding 16 cavalry models plus Bile. Mobility was key, and Troop standards eliminated any worry about Shock whatsoever. If we hadn't been playing for objective points, I would have finished him off in another turn.

~v

I had similar luck with my Onyx Legion cavalry force, Chris. I stomped all over Ben's dwarves (the bears, especially), fielding 16 cavalry models plus Bile. Mobility was key, and Troop standards eliminated any work about Shock whatsoever. If we hadn't been playing for objective points, I would have finished him off in another turn.

~v

I think Ben is still chapped over that one. :lol:

.."they just kept coming.." Or something to that effect. :lol: