whoa, lets not get hostile. Everyone here likes the snakes, they are lizardish after all. It's just that as a whole, they get hit easily. Maybe this isn't as big a problem as it sounds.

And rcrosby didn't say the snakes were lousy, just that their defense is. It is their dump stat. We can probably all agree on that.

Personally I foresee the snake list having difficulties because it lacks any strong defense. There is nothing sturdy (besides the hydra) to hide behind. While they may pass out the pain with the very best of models, they may not live long enough to reap the benefit of that.

Didn't mean for anything to sound hostile, apologies if it did. Just trying to show some of the Snakes attributes. Of course their DV is their weakness, but so too is it for alot of models, and alot of those models lack the punching power of the Warriors, and arn't all that much cheaper.

I'm willing to give them a go and invest in a unit of them, they arn't any more fragile than Elves when you look at them as a whole, and they have some pretty decent ranged troops in the Venomspitters, you could build an army in that sort of mold (among others) if the Venomspitters become non-unique.

(If I seem a little protective, it's likely because I helped champion the warriors into their current form, likely why i'm getting defensive :lol: )

Somchai, and Tasanee certainly appear worthwhile heroes.

As I said before, didn't mean my post to have as much angst as it reads as having.

You have my thanks for championing the nagendra warrior. It always seemed silly to me that we never got to see what a common ordinary snake would be like.

On another note, my clock currently reads 4:49 AM, so I am backing away from the internets and going to bed. Why do I insist on staying awake for no reason?

Funny thing is, I used to hate the Nagendra and think they were goofy, now I'm a big fan, not sure why but those sculpts have really grown on me. I too liked the idea of mainline Nagendra Warriors, in a way it puts the Nagendra Rangers into a special forces perspective that I really like.

Funny thing is, I used to hate the Nagendra and think they were goofy, now I'm a big fan, not sure why but those sculpts have really grown on me. I too liked the idea of mainline Nagendra Warriors, in a way it puts the Nagendra Rangers into a special forces perspective that I really like.

Now if only you could change your mind about the Battle Nuns ! ::P:

I played a game with Mengu today. I lost but I noticed a few things about the models I'd like to share.

Clutchlings, These are now second line troops. They're good for reach and maybe swarming (I going to have to try them in numbers) but against most troops they die quick.

Skullbreaker, these guys rock!!!! I've got to start using them in higher numbers. They're a point less than warriors in DV and they degrade faster then anyone else I can think of. But thier MAV 7 is AWESOME!!

Dagnabit, I got our new Faction abilities all typed out and then accidently closed the tab.

they boil down to this.

Default list still has aura of jade thorns. They also get the Jade Strike, which means they get to re-roll one missed defensive strike per activation.

Nagendra get deflect/2 or +2 to their current deflect score. They also cause their enemies to lose the benefit of first strike and trencher.

Jade strike is nasty (I'd put it right up their with Bane) and the nagendra abilities do a bit to set aside my fears of them dying in droves as they cross the board.

Clutchlings, These are now second line troops. They're good for reach and maybe swarming (I going to have to try them in numbers) but against most troops they die quick.

We've got a local player here who has 23 of the little buggers in his 1000 point list! You put 4 of them on a 3 or 4 track model, you get four MAV 8 First Strike attacks, which can kill the model without it getting defensive swings. Very effective! :ph34r:

Skullbreaker, these guys rock!!!! I've got to start using them in higher numbers. They're a point less than warriors in DV and they degrade faster then anyone else I can think of. But thier MAV 7 is AWESOME!!

Let me just re-itterate, those skullbreakers are *really* nasty. Aside from the impressive MAV 7, they get 3 attacks like most any Reptus Grunt, and eventhough they don't have Warmaster, thanks to Jade Strike, it almost feels like they do. Starting at an 11 DV is not too shabby either. All in all for their point cost, I'd throw a couple of these guys in most any build. They do their name justice by breaking all sorts of skulls.

Som the Nagendra get Deflect/2, which helps them out a fair bit crossing the board, and immunity to First Strike and Reach, which had a very variable advantage against different armies and builds. Probably not as impressive as the Default list, but still pretty helpful.

As for Jade Strike, I think the default Reptus list just gained perhaps the very best faction ability in the game. Big turn around for the Reptus in terms of faction abilities.

Som the Nagendra get Deflect/2, which helps them out a fair bit crossing the board, and immunity to First Strike and Reach, which had a very variable advantage against different armies and builds. Probably not as impressive as the Default list, but still pretty helpful.

As for Jade Strike, I think the default Reptus list just gained perhaps the very best faction ability in the game. Big turn around for the Reptus in terms of faction abilities.

This jump in power worries me a little. If there is one thing I can't stand it's having a faction I really enjoy playing called overpowered. This happened with Darkspawn for a long time, with every win I recieved it was brought up that pain cage is unstopable, I don't want that to happens with my favorite faction of all. In the end it's probably better that they have something to help them.

I'm really hoping we see a few more clutchlings with different weapons/abilities. I have a different color scheme for the younglings and I'm itching to use it again.

This jump in power worries me a little. If there is one thing I can't stand it's having a faction I really enjoy playing called overpowered. This happened with Darkspawn for a long time, with every win I recieved it was brought up that pain cage is unstopable, I don't want that to happens with my favorite faction of all. In the end it's probably better that they have something to help them.

I can agree with that. We already had a pretty successful army, and now we actually have a good ability to go with it. I hope it doesn't end up being broken. Since I haven't tested it or anything, I can't make that call, but the potential still worries me. If it ends up deing too powerful, it could always be changed to an across the board boost to MAV on defensive strikes. The would probably work out to be less deadly over all.

I've been playing this game on a weekly basis since the day it came out. For the past year, I've been playing it twice a week. For the past few months, I've been testing it daily. On top of all of that, I've watched a lot of tournaments. Heck, my brother won Origins 2006, GenCon 2006, and now ReaperCon 2007.

One thing I can say for sure. There is no unbeatable army.

I will caution though, something we've seen time & time again:

A new ability comes out, and the dude who plays with it cleans all his friend's clocks. They call it broken. Then someone decides to fight against this new ability in a different way than they fought before this ability, and suddenly it isn't broken anymore. ::D:

If your buddy beats you every week, and every week you show up with the same tactics, well... :lol:

Well, I like to put this ability up in comparison with the elven Sure Shot FA. It's not hard to field an entire elven army with ranged attacks, in which case every model would be able to take advantage of the ability. And, Sure Shot is not just limited to Defensive Shots; it can be used on the offensive as well. While I think the new Jade Strike FA is nice, one single defensive strike re-roll per model is a bit more restricted in use. It will force opponents of the Reptus to think about their tactics when engaging us on the offensive, and I think that it good. It gives the faction some uniqueness, and some good flavor that I believe ties in to the little fluff we've seen for the faction thus far (the idea that the Reptus preferred to remain passive in the struggles of Taltos - until provoked - has a very eastern martial arts philosophical feel). We'll see how it plays out in actual battles. I'm looking forward to fielding the new datacards as well; we've finally reached a point where I feel like I could field a pure faction force under nearly any circumstance, and be effective.

Plus, I can't wait to see what we get for models for some of these new datacards. Dragons! *drool*

~v

So who thinks that the DHL dragon Turtle is going to be getting the mossbeard treatment? Put him in a new blister and sell him as a warlord mini.