Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Razig's Revenge

dont think of it as the end list, think of it as the beginning list as you add to it.

Yeah, but the way the budget works it'll be a while until I could get the list up to 1501 so I'd like to start off with a really bangin small list.

Right now I'm thinking it'd be cool to just go ahead and get the boxed set and play at 750 with it - I'll have to leave out some models here and there, but I'll have some variety that I wouldn't have if I got the custom list. This day I bring Pete, this day I bring Baron LeBone. This day I bring just Razig + troop and the Maiden, some other time I take all 3 leaders with trimmed down troops.

Plus it's cheaper :ph34r:

So, talk to me about how to use a Soul Cannon.

Is its primary role to freak the enemy out and force them into awkward formations, thus allowing you to pick them apart on your terms?

Do you keep it mobile to begin with since at first the enemy has the luxury of avoiding its blowthrough, then move it into prime firing position once the battle heats up?

I have to say, something like the Soul Cannon is completely Other compared to what I'm used to playing with. I think I'd be outfoxed pretty easily if I used it in a game without some tricks up my sleeve.

So, talk to me about how to use a Soul Cannon.

Is its primary role to freak the enemy out and force them into awkward formations, thus allowing you to pick them apart on your terms?

Do you keep it mobile to begin with since at first the enemy has the luxury of avoiding its blowthrough, then move it into prime firing position once the battle heats up?

I have to say, something like the Soul Cannon is completely Other compared to what I'm used to playing with. I think I'd be outfoxed pretty easily if I used it in a game without some tricks up my sleeve.

I try not to worry so much about the Blowthrough ability. While it is nice, I rarely get to use it. Usually, when I do get the opportunity, the Cannon has taken one or two hits so it's not as effective as it could be. With the Slow Fire SA now, you can not move and shoot. So, I try to place it at the beginning of the game with the most lanes of fire and wait for some unsuspecting fool to walk into my line of fire. BLAM!! Take two points of damage. :devil:

Personally, I only own 3 of them and would never take more than that in a game. I'd rather have Bone Marines instead. ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

the thing about Razig's group. For the most part it is all shooty army. And shooty with slow fire for that matter.

Which means that it works fairly well as long as you can sit still and force the enemy to come to you while you whittle them down.

If you have to move a lot, then Razig's group potential goes down significantly.

For example, Reapercon with all its objective based tourney games... Razig really doesnt stand a chance in any of those given scenarios, because they all require lots of movement.

But, in a friendly game, especially in a game that has a decent amount of tall terrain that forces the enemy to come down "lanes" where you can sit there and fire down the lane and then stomp whoever makes it with the maiden, razig and crew, they can be very affective.

Here's a concern I have about this faction - it seems remarkably brittle. Of the soldier models, the Bone marine is actually arguably the best in hand to hand, with a 4 MAV and 11 DV. The Skeletal Crew and Zombie Recruits both have DV 10 which seems light to me, and the Harpooner, which carries First Strike, Reach, and MAV 6, only has DV 9. Chain Gang likewise is fairly brittle.

And, none of the Razig's soldiers have warmaster. Ouch!

Maybe I'm just used to my Dwarves and their staying power, but as I contemplate playing this faction, their weaknesses in melee make me nervous. And it's not like the models are cheap either, so you can't rely on numbers (well, they're not expensive either. You know what I mean though).

Is the general idea to throw a light Zombie screen out front to tangle with the enemy charge, then use Crewmen to shoot at some and Chain Gang to tie down the rest?

Seems like the leaders/elites/solos will hold their own nicely.. is the idea that as long as I can blunt the enemy charge with the crew that the leaders will be able to ride out the storm?

Jim, here is what I recommend doing. Start comparing stats of just the grunts from all of the armies. See how they stack up against one another. Most of the skeletons in the Necro army have 2 damage tracks. The minimum for Razig is 3. Most of the "buff" grunts have at least 4 tracks, if not 5 (shieldmaidens, crimson knights, etc). Skeletons are brittle, which is why they are so frail. Yes, the Bone Marines are the core of that army. But, they can't do it all. Skeletal crewmen aren't bad since they can now shoot as well. Yeah, it's only 12 inches, but they can still shoot. Zombies rule with their Tough/4. Take full advantage of that. I played against the Reptus last Thursday and my army held up surprisingly well. Slow Fire allowing me to do two wounds at a time (especially with Defensive Shot) totally rules. My Bone Marines were shooting up his troops, so he decided his archers better take out my Marines. Hell, I was hitting more on defensive shots than my normal shots!! :wacko:

If you play them a few times, figure out the combos that work for you, I think Razig will be a tough faction. I bought them early on, but they started changing things around, so I back off for a while. Now, I'm actually excited to play them again! ^_^

Wild Bill :blues:

Having played against them, I can assure you that the Chain Gang are your most potent melee grunts, despite their apparent brittleness.

Because of one simple factor: Disable. Take away your opponent's ability to attack, Warmaster models' superior defensive abilities... Worse, the DIS reduction takes away his ability to escape them. Deadly little sonsofb****es.

Maybe I'm just used to my Dwarves and their staying power, but as I contemplate playing this faction, their weaknesses in melee make me nervous...

Naw, that can't be it Jim, because you also play Nefsokar and they are ... er, um, they have... uh...

Yeah, you play tough factions. :lol:

PS

Anybody have any info on what if any faction doctrines you get for the pirates? My wife has a bunch of it otw thru the mail for her to play but i can't find any info on what they get. As is my necro guys won't scare more undead stuff very easy so it should be kinda fun.

Check Reapergames.com under the featured downloads section for the Razig pdf. The Hanged Men don't have faction abilites yet. Arrrrrggh!

Anthony

I'm considering getting into Warlord via Razig's Revenge (or Reptus, they look awesome), and I'm curious where the latest rules are. I downloaded the pdf, but it doesn't talk about any of the things being discussed here -- there's no Chain Gang, Skeletal Crew don't have a ranged attack, and Slow Fire isn't listed under anyone's abilities.

Could ye be so kind as t' help out a gentleman considerin' going on the account with Captain Razig?