Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Reven

Argh. Gaaguk is STILL the only melee based Bull Orc without Improved Charge. Apparently when he rose from the ranks of Bull Orc Berzerkers he forgot his running shoes :lol:

And I beat Spike :lol:

I may not play Reven most of the time now, but you guys will always be my very first tabletop army. :wub:

Let us contemplate the Ogre grunt.

:wub:

An all-Ogre company is an awsome sight to behold...though there are 2wo things you should be careful of.

1) Ogres are not the best guys to send through a dungeon-crawl. Sure the guy in front of the line gets to have alot of fun, but unless your dungeon has a passing-lane, your other Ogres will have to wait their turn...and they'll get bored...and mopey.

2) Yeah so Ogres have big bases...and CAN attack more than one other-guy at the same time. Don't be suckered in to the two-birds-with-one-stone mentality. If you pick one fight at a time with each model, unless the other guy is a Warmaster you only get one Defensive Strike in return.

___

And I beat Spike

What-EVER! You may have beat me this time, but I can STILL chuck your young-punk hiney to the floor (like as S-Con 06)

So I took a Goblin force against the Nefsokar today, and ended up with 40 points remaining to their 400. I can't really figure out what I could have done better. Any of you noghra-wranglers out there want to share experiences? I used the hill giant and almost every goblin I had, and managed to get to 1002 points.

I dont play reven, but I wonder if having a battle totem would help or if it takes too many cheap models out of your build.

Did you play rangers or regular gobbies? I noticed that for one point more per model, the rangers get 2 attacks, and since you really arent defensive minded with the low DV gobbies, that extra attack is worth more than the deflect that the warriors get.

He had one unit of Rangers, one of Beastriders, and one of Skeeters, the rest were warriors.

I had Khadath with Tomb Guards and a Disciple, Tariq with Khamsin Rangers and a single Dervish to guard them, a Dust Devil, and Khathan.

Part of it is that the Hill Giant is no longer the Mook-Mower it used to be - yes, it can hit and kill just about any individual, or maybe two depending on what they are, every round... but it's not going to be killing off the five or six per round that it used to be able to do.

Another part of it is the disparity between one-wound Goblins and multi-wound opponents - every hit I inflicted was one less goblin on the field contributing to the fight, but anything the Goblins hit was wounded, but kept on fighting (and could often get themselves healed). At the end of it, just about every figure I had on the field was wounded (with the exception of one Tomb Guard), many of them heavily. If you average the points by tracks remaining it was more like 40 of his and 140 of mine left...

I think some Gondas (Gondi, Gondii?) for dedicated healing of the Beastriders and Hill Giant would be beneficial. Either some Cures from a distance or straight up Healer.

Using Frenzy might also help with the Hill Giant, to gain some extra attacks, but it's true, he's capable of squashing any single Model, but multiple kills will be tough.

I think we're going to have to wait to see how the Goblin Clans from the Sublist look before the Noghra list really become viable. The hard cap of +3 Support with MAV 2 also becomes an issue when you utterly lack models with Reach (unless they address this by saying Goblins have a max Support Bonus of +6).

I think if you arn't frenzying with the Hill Giant or any High MAV model with Frenzy when attacking low DV to mid-level DV targets you probably arn't getting the most out of them.

Against Tomb Gaurds, DV 13 you statistically have the greatest chance of scoring the most wounds using 6 attacks at MAV 8

Against Khadath, DV 12 (assuming no equipment), use either 6 attacks at MAV 8 or 7 attacks at MAV7

Against Tariq, DV 11, use 7 attacks at MAV 7

Against DV 10, use either 7 attacks at MAV 7 or 8 at MAV 6

Against DV 9 or lower always use 8 attacks at MAV 6

Sadly Frenzy can be boiled down to simple math, although it becomes alot more complex when you are attacking model with different DVs

You can make a little chart for each of your Frenzying models if you want to get the most out of them, I'm sure alot of gamers could care less, but there are clear cut times when more or less attacks play in your favour.

I just can't see using Gonda or Lunk at CP 4, and while they'd be alright at CP 6 with a +2 CP upgrade do you really want to throw 40 extra points into a DV 7 2 wound model?

I think Powder Kegs are probably the most cost effective way to bring magic into the game using a pure goblin force if you are avoiding the cost of including Gronkelfibbets. Half a dozen of these little guys in a 1000 point game could really make a difference.

The major issue with including Magic against the Nefsokar is the -2 CP which pretty much hampers for the Powder Kegs and any notion of Lunk or Gonda.

Ogg is the most powerful Leader you have, I don't think it would hurt to beef him up with Armor.

Have you thought about including 2 Hill Giants? What about 3? ::D: Next time you might have to bite the bullet and use Gronkelfibbits with a +2 CP enhancement.

Ultimately I have to agree, if the Goblin varieties become available you might be alot better off, but as it stands low DV, low Dmg models like Goblins, BOndslaves, and even Lesser ORcs are going to have a severe casualty rate unless fighting alongside quality troops, which is impossible in a Noghra list unless you are able to field alot of Beastriders.

The Poor Goblins Skeeters really took a hit in the new datacards, Previously the cream of the crop, now they are pretty dismal, I suppose all one can do is take advantage of indirect fire, seeing as how you're likely shooting to hit on 10's anyway.

I've been crying over my 18 Lesser ORcs so much I hadn't though much about my 9 Gobbos...now I have something new to cry about ::):

Gonda is probably most useful primarily for Healer, instead of Cleric magic, especially with the loss of +2 to Casting friendly models. Now he is stock a 50/50 chance for spells. Use Healer instead since it does not require a roll.

I think one of my big disappointments was that Lunk went from CP 6 to CP 4. He used to be a great one hit blaster. Granted there is now the Goblin Mage on Cyclops. He's going to be a tough one to play. He's too good at both melee and magic. How to play him will be tough.

Lunk with a couple Counterspells and Ice Shards is probably a good way to go. The spells will be low cost, and help to protect the Goblins from some of their most lethal opponents, the AOE spell.

Now, another option, which I would love to see, is that a Fire Keg not be considered Magic. Have it roll a d10 +4 vs DV. Let it truly be an explosive device and also prevent some level 2 Mage from making it utterly useless.

Now, another option, which I would love to see, is that a Fire Keg not be considered Magic. Have it roll a d10 +4 vs DV. Let it truly be an explosive device and also prevent some level 2 Mage from making it utterly useless.

I was thinking, how about instead of fire keg adding a unique goblin hero(non-unique for gob sub-list), that had a rav 6 aoe/2 attack with 0 range. give him just the one damage track and a 7 dv and beast(auto hits himself). Then we could have a cool new goblin model to go with the explosion motif.

Methinks LTurner might be onto something (or maybe just on something), but yeah.. Goblin suicide bomber would be a real fun one.

Yeah..other folks said use the Frenzy SA with Hilly. Also, whenever you have a multi-attack model, try to put both hits on a single opponent model if at all possible. Less Defensive Strikes is always a good thing.

With Friendly Spells no longer gaining the +2 modifier, I find the Familiars to be almost a necessity for my Clerics. If you are like I am and take bundles of Cure2 and Cure3s, it will pay for itself after avoiding only two mis-Casts.

Gonda is probably most useful primarily for Healer, instead of Cleric magic, especially with the loss of +2 to Casting friendly models. Now he is stock a 50/50 chance for spells. Use Healer instead since it does not require a roll.

I keep forgetting about the now proliffic appearance of Healer, which of course you can use much more easily than casting, so I can see Gonda's use. Still, including a few Gonda's means you need to field a number of 2+ track models to make it worthwhile, but I can see him being useful.

I agree Lunk has really fallen form my graces with his CP drop.

The inclusion of a Golbin suicide bomber type guy would make sense, my issue with that is you'd have to make him a grunt if you wanted him to be as useful as Fire Keg is now, in that at the moment you can include a large number of firekegs and spread them through every unit.

At the moment I can suspend my disbelief and say powder kegs are more mystical than current day gunpowder, and have some sort of magical element to them (Magical powder keg???) that allow them to be dispelled (as lame as it kinda is). Everything aside they seem like a bargain.

Another problem with making it a range 0, AOE 2 attack is that in this case you have to introduce some sort of special ability that makes the AOE a one shot item that kills the shooter when it occurs.

Further I like the fact that Powder Kegs detonate in the Magic phase, allowing them the potential to drop enemy DVs down and to make Skeeter Fire more effective. If the powder keg detonated as a ranged attack then Skeeters firing at the targeted unit might be less effective, and LOS might be blocked by the Powderkeg model(s).

Powder-keg guy: Make him a non-unique Solo, or an Elite with Outrider, and have the explosion be an Invoke action. That gets him completely out of the cycle of activation for your skeeters and Lunk as well, and lets you have a handful of 'em without running completely hog-wild with them.

Call em Goblin Sappers.

And something that would make them truly interesting:

The force of the detonation causes damage to any Models in the AOE that are not actively Flying.

So you could hit a Burrowed guy underground - call it a tunnel collapse and debris, or shockwave, whatever.

Or instead of damaging someone underground, make them lose a Movement Action as they dig themselves out.

Does anyone think that the reven have gotton nerfed a bit. I truthfully dont know so im not suggusting anything. I was also just thinking if an all bullorc army would be the more effective then a grand reven. I am not that new to reven but havnt gotten around to checking out the new cards so am help would be appricieated . also if anyone had a list that would be sweet.

P.S. Exploding goblings would be AWSOME :wow: